NHL.com: Inside Anders Lee’s first year as islanders captain “C”

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i can't imagine anyone being disappointed with Lee as our C. it's hard for us to judge, but i don't think i've ever seen him act in a manner that has deemed him unworthy. get him signed LL! for a reasonable cost, of course. ;)

Reactions: periferal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
"Leesy is a little more outspoken," Mathew Barzalsaid. "He's just a super solid guy. You see what he does in the community. He comes to work every day and works hard and is just a pro all the time. This whole year he's done a heck of a job. You can see at times he's really taken ownership of that role and scored some big goals for us."

Inside Anders Lee's First Year As Islanders Captain

I am not surprised. It echoes what the Maven said. Barzal also playing down Tavares leadership ability. The Isles do not miss it, they only miss his individualistic goals. But I don't know if he could play as an equal under Trotz. The bottom line is they have not only been better without him at Captain, but better with Lee as a Captain. I don't care if people think this is a shot at Pajamas, but he was never a great leader of the Isles, nor could he lead them to more success. The fact that Lee did, in his first season as Captain, and with 103 pts more than the 8 years Pajamas was a captain says enough to me.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I am not surprised. It echoes what the Maven said. Barzal also playing down Tavares leadership ability. The Isles do not miss it, they only miss his individualistic goals. But I don't know if he could play as an equal under Trotz. The bottom line is they have not only been better without him at Captain, but better with Lee as a Captain. I don't care if people think this is a shot at Pajamas, but he was never a great leader of the Isles, nor could he lead them to more success. The fact that Lee did, in his first season as Captain, and with 103 pts more than the 8 years Pajamas was a captain says enough to me.

Sorry I have to disagree. The Islanders shortcoming offensively and on the powerplay is attributed to their focus on defense AND the fact that the Isles are not that strong up the middle. Lack of talent is the problem period. JT would have only helped here. He is good defensively and dynamic enough to have fit in. The Leafs have 3 top centers that are better than the Islanders centers and that is one of the reasons the Leafs score goals and the Isles struggle. Their defense and goaltending is their issue.

IMO the Islanders success can not be attributed to the loss of JT. As the season went on I downplay the “us vs the world” mentality that existed early on this season. It is defense which elevated their goaltending = success. Not losing JT.

You have to look no further than the last Isles - Toronto game as to what JT is today. It sucks to say it but it is real. The Isles would have won the division had they won that game.

It annoys me that fans try to create an alternate history. JT is proving his worth every day now. He is elite. That does not mean the Leafs will win a series this season. This is no Leafs or JT love fest. The Leafs are faced with a near-impossible task vs the Boston Bruins IMO.

I get the argument long term and I agree JT will not be able to perform at his elite level 5-6-7 years from now but I would have been delighted to have him years 0-4. That is the Leafs window.

The next question becomes, will Lee be able to perform at a high level in 5-6 years of his new deal wherever he signs? It is reported the hangup on a new deal is length of contract. It will play itself out, but I doubt LL will accept 7-8 years. We would not have been happy had JT signed that long. Hopefully LL overpays Lee in years 1-4 and pays a lot less in years 5-6 and 7-8 is not necessary. Either way, the threat of Lee leaving is real IMO as LL remains focused on Belmont as the top priority.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
If You look at Toronto last year they score 270 this year 286, but they allowed the opponents to score 249 this year compared to 230 last year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sorry I have to disagree. The Islanders shortcoming offensively and on the powerplay is attributed to their focus on defense AND the fact that the Isles are not that strong up the middle. Lack of talent is the problem period. JT would have only helped here. He is good defensively and dynamic enough to have fit in. The Leafs have 3 top centers that are better than the Islanders centers and that is one of the reasons the Leafs score goals and the Isles struggle. Their defense and goaltending is their issue.

IMO the Islanders success can not be attributed to the loss of JT. As the season went on I downplay the “us vs the world” mentality that existed early on this season. It is defense which elevated their goaltending = success. Not losing JT.

You have to look no further than the last Isles - Toronto game as to what JT is today. It sucks to say it but it is real. The Isles would have won the division had they won that game.

It annoys me that fans try to create an alternate history. JT is proving his worth every day now. He is elite. That does not mean the Leafs will win a series this season. This is no Leafs or JT love fest. The Leafs are faced with a near-impossible task vs the Boston Bruins IMO.

I get the argument long term and I agree JT will not be able to perform at his elite level 5-6-7 years from now but I would have been delighted to have him years 0-4. That is the Leafs window.

The next question becomes, will Lee be able to perform at a high level in 5-6 years of his new deal wherever he signs? It is reported the hangup on a new deal is length of contract. It will play itself out, but I doubt LL will accept 7-8 years. We would not have been happy had JT signed that long. Hopefully LL overpays Lee in years 1-4 and pays a lot less in years 5-6 and 7-8 is not necessary. Either way, the threat of Lee leaving is real IMO as LL remains focused on Belmont as the top priority.

I think the more pertinent and definitive statement that is lost in this is. Isles miss the production Tavares would have bought this year. But as the record of 103 pts indicates they do not miss him, the player.

Which basically means the Isles could use a productive fwd, perhaps that will not cost 11M x 7 years at age 29.

So if this is what people are saying. I agree. Plug in a Panarin, or even a Kessel who does this for Pittsburg, or any player that can score goals. This is what The Isles miss in their line up. Again Not Tavares the exact player. But a productive player to make them. Which could be a plethora of players this summern who are just as good or even better.

Reactions: Quicklime

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I think the more pertinent and definitive statement that is lost in this is. Isles miss the production Tavares would have bought this year. But as the record of 103 pts indicates they do not miss him, the player.

Which basically means the Isles could use a productive fwd, perhaps that will not cost 11M x 7 years at age 29.

So if this is what people are saying. I agree. Plug in a Panarin, or even a Kessel who does this for Pittsburg, or any player that can score goals. This is what The Isles miss in their line up. Again Not Tavares the exact player. But a productive player to make them. Which could be a plethora of players this summern who are just as good or even better.

The question is, would the Isles be the top seed in the NHL and a cup favorite had JT been there? We will never know.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
More offensive skill would be great, but a powerplay scheme that's adjusted to that and the lack of success would be way more important. How have we not changed things up the entire ****ing season?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The question is, would the Isles be the top seed in the NHL and a cup favorite had JT been there? We will never know.
I think people and I am not saying you. Want people to say the Isles miss Tavares. I think there was a lot of butt hurt from Laffs fans that the Isles got into the playoffs with 103 pts without Pajamas this year. Thus the Isles would be better with a player like Tavares individualistic stats. This is why I am clarifying sure the Isles could use a scorer. But does it have to be the robot? Not from what I have seen from the team this year. A Kessel would be fine too if the Isles could trick a GM into taking back 1.2M per year as Rutherford did with Shanahan.

I would rather say, Isles could use additional scoring which they tried to get at the TDL rather than just focus on Pajamas. If he gave Lou any heads up that he was leaving. Maybe Lou would have gotten it done July 1 last year. We have this summer though.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
More offensive skill would be great, but a powerplay scheme that's adjusted to that and the lack of success would be way more important. How have we not changed things up the entire ****ing season?

The Islanders do NOT have the talent to do better at the moment.

Barzal, Beauvillier and Toews are the key performers here that are young and need to get better and I expect they will. Bridgeport has not done much better powerplay-wise but an infusion of young talent may improve that.

The Islanders power play is what it is. Bad

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm a little disappointed in Lee. He needs to rally the troops better. He keeps struggling to get the dirty goals. As captain I wish he would motivate this unit. We started off 0-5 on Special Teams and we didn't muster many scoring chances on those man advantages. Our five on three didn't look great either and Lee himself deserves blame for his individual effort. It's been a struggle all year to score goals when goal scoring is up. And it's not like this team is facing prime Brodeur.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The Islanders do NOT have the talent to do better at the moment.

Barzal, Beauvillier and Toews are the key performers here that are young and need to get better and I expect they will. Bridgeport has not done much better powerplay-wise but an infusion of young talent may improve that.

The Islanders power play is what it is. Bad
If something needs to be improved you don't just accept it as being bad. Good coaches and good players who lead don't defeat themselves.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You don't have to wear a "C" on your chest to be a leader.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
If something needs to be improved you don't just accept it as being bad. Good coaches and good players who lead don't defeat themselves.

Curious you call this out because the Isles are a miraculous 2-8 on the powerplay in this series and it is one of the key reasons they are up 2-0. This is something they need to keep up if they want to go far.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Curious you call this out because the Isles are a miraculous 2-8 on the powerplay in this series and it is one of the key reasons they are up 2-0. This is something they need to keep up if they want to go far.
The Islanders PP is absolutely awful plain and simple. You must be watching a different game than me. It's been horrid all year long and I don't get how the players and coaches aren't embarrassed by this.

Reactions: broncs918

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm a little disappointed in Lee. He needs to rally the troops better. He keeps struggling to get the dirty goals. As captain I wish he would motivate this unit. We started off 0-5 on Special Teams and we didn't muster many scoring chances on those man advantages. Our five on three didn't look great either and Lee himself deserves blame for his individual effort. It's been a struggle all year to score goals when goal scoring is up. And it's not like this team is facing prime Brodeur.

He’s rallied his troops to a 2-0 series lead. They’re playing playoff in your face physical hockey. What more do you want?:laugh:

I swear some “fans” just can’t be pleased. Such an odd bump and bone to pick the morning after us going up 2-0 in a playoff series.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He’s rallied his troops to a 2-0 series lead. They’re playing playoff in your face physical hockey. What more do you want?:laugh:

I swear some “fans” just can’t be pleased. Such an odd bump and bone to pick the morning after us going up 2-0 in a playoff series.

I'm responding to a handful of posters who obviously dislike John Tavares or are just plain bitter because Tavares left.

First it's about the team not needing his offense which is absurd. Every Islander fan wanted JT back.

Now its about Tavares not leading this team in the playoffs. The fact remains Trotz is a great coach and has implemented a system that has worked. He is the main reason why this team is where it is.

Some players have matured and some were brought in but the majority of guys were on this team last year.
Tavares would have only improved this squad and it's the players who vote for the team Captain.
Lee and everyone else is just as much to blame for the team's failure last season.
Right now JT and the Leafs are in the same spot as us.

This is not about being satisfied or pleased it's about being better.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You're out of touch. The team is winning by committee, as they have all year. This is a dumb take.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You're out of touch. The team is winning by committee, as they have all year. This is a dumb take.

It almost seems that the Isles are a victim of their own success to some fans. This team is consistently breaking all forms of expectations, yet some fans can only focus on some shortcomings.

Mind you, I’m a firm believer of the Vince Lombardi quote:

“We strive for perfection so that we may achieve excellence.”

But this really has nothing to do with the above. This seems more that some fans can’t reconcile that this management, team and organization has proven their prognostications wrong thus far.

My opinion is that this team has a lower ceiling than almost all teams in the playoffs. But they play a lot closer to that ceiling than most. They’ll eventually reach their limit. But I’m going to enjoy them reaching it. Instead of fooling myself into thinking they are some how “underachieving.”

Reactions: Quicklime

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It almost seems that the Isles are a victim of their own success to some fans. This team is consistently breaking all forms of expectations, yet some fans can only focus on some shortcomings.

Mind you, I’m a firm believer of the Vince Lombardi quote:

“We strive for perfection so that we may achieve excellence.”

But this really has nothing to do with the above. This seems more that some fans can’t reconcile that this management, team and organization has proven their prognostications wrong thus far.

My opinion is that this team has a lower ceiling than almost all teams in the playoffs. But they play a lot closer to that ceiling than most. They’ll eventually reach their limit. But I’m going to enjoy them reaching it. Instead of fooling myself into thinking they are some how “underachieving.”

The Islanders had a better year than Pittsburgh so I'm not surprised we are winning the series.

The Islanders pretty much proved everyone wrong including the majority of Islander fans.

But if your in it to win it than be all in.

Lou underestimated this team himself and he's supposed to be some kind of hockey genius.

No one thought TEAM USA with a bunch of college kids would defeat mighty Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad