Jacob Trouba Wins the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Congrats to #8 on a well earned award.

Jake is a really good dude in and out of the rink and contrary to the belief of some of his own boneheaded fans he’s a very good leader too.

Something like this should be celebrated not made fun of.
Agree. Trouba is a good leader. He’s a unique player. And his voice is respected in the locker room. People think he sucks so they laugh, but this is a big deal to him and the organization.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Jake is a really good dude in and out of the rink and contrary to the belief of some of his own boneheaded fans he’s a very good leader too.

The main boards turned into a bunch of chuckling morons pissing the same joke onto each other.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

I can do BOTH.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Good for him.

His teammates like him and I'm not going to shit on him personally. He's done well at the role for whatever it's worth.
100%. He seems like a good guy, and I really enjoy the fact that the rest of the league will be so butthurt over this.

Reactions: CLW

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I knew that weird, scripted conversation he had during Shirts Off Our Back last season was good for something...

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
He's probably an absolutely fantastic leader in some senses, but the actual successful ones demonstrate that with their on ice play.

Tanner Glass apparently 'chose the restaurants' and was a top teammate, but was still super glued into a line-up where he had no place in being. And the difference with Tanner and our Captain is the latter being a detriment who receives far too much ice time and makes north of 8 mil. To say otherwise would be disengenious.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Good for him.

His teammates like him and I'm not going to shit on him personally. He's done well at the role for whatever it's worth.
Hey look, the guy is more successful at his chosen profession then almost everybody here on this board is at theirs and he seems like a all-around good person so I agree. I also couldn't care less what the "main board", twitter, etc. have to say.

......but: 1) this is kind of funnily bad timing. 2) He was the captain of a team that embarrassed themselves in the playoffs just last year.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hey look, the guy is more successful at his chosen profession then almost everybody here on this board is at theirs and he seems like a all-around good person so I agree. I also couldn't care less what the "main board", twitter, etc. have to say.

......but: 1) this is kind of funnily bad timing. 2) He was the captain of a team that embarrassed themselves in the playoffs just last year.
Everyone embarrassed themselves except for Vegas.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
The reason for Trouba's bad play is because he was under pressure to finish King Charles' portrait, which was unveiled today. His first foray into abstract realism. I'm sure this painting factored into his winning the award.

14xp-charles-portrait-gpkl-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The reason for Trouba's bad play is because he was under pressure to finish King Charles' portrait, which was unveiled today. His first foray into abstract realism. I'm sure this painting factored into his winning the award.

14xp-charles-portrait-gpkl-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg
Very obviously made to look like it was painted in blood.

Artist better hope he doesn't notice.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eh the Panthers embarrassed themselves in the regular season but not in the playoffs. I don't think the Kraken or the Stars did either. You know full well that I don't think losing (in playoffs) automatically equals "embarrassment".
The Bruins blew a 3-1 lead in the first round after winning 65 games.

The Devils got bodied in round 2.

Carolina got swept.

Florida lost the most lopsided Finals in my lifetime.

The Stars lost an elimination game at home 6-0.

Toronto lost for 69th time since they drafted Matthews.

Tampa lost to Toronto.

The Avalanche lost a game 7 at home to the 8 seed.

Minnesota was in a 2-2 series and scored one goal in games 5 and 6 combined.

The Jets lost both of their home games.

I guess the Kings and the Islanders did nothing egregious in their first round losses that were still first round losses.

The Kraken had a good go. Other than that, people would be crying for years if we did any of the above.

More playoff losses are ugly than not ugly. Losing in the playoffs sucks.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

Carolina got swept.

Tampa lost to Toronto.

I guess the Kings and the Islanders did nothing egregious in their first round losses that were still first round losses.

The Kraken had a good go. Other than that, people would be crying for years if we did any of the above.

Because of the way we tend to react, people just love to watch our fans convulse.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

Carolina got swept.

Tampa lost to Toronto.

I'm not most people. I know what you are getting at. I know The best "leaders" in sports have more playoff series losses than wins. I hold a distinction between disappointing outcome and embarrassing one. For example, Rangers losing to Tampa two years ago, disappointing but they didn't embarrass themselves in my eyes. Even the play in series against Carolina, they just were beaten by the better team. Same in the finals against the Kings where they actually played well. I know and accept that hockey is (probably) the most unpredictable and "luck" imbued of the major sports.

Last year was an embarrassment for them in my eyes if only because of the game five and seven egg. If they were to follow it up this year and become only the third team in the modern era to be reverse swept, well that's not just disappointing, especially if were to get run out of the building. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying that's going to happen).

True on the Stars losing that game 6-0. Forgot that happened. That's pretty embarrassing for them! I guess it doesn't matter what I think and whether I was embarrassed for them. I do wonder if the Rangers leadership (in the room) was embarrassed? I guess that's who counts. I thought they attacked this season like they were though.

Reactions: CLW

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Trouba is a smart, hard working, calm, and fearless player. He does things not many would be willing to do. For those that may have not watched his whole career, he has willingly changed his game completely and by all accounts is nothing but welcoming and willing to talk and support to anyone who has asked, both in the room and out.

He is a good captain and if some others with maybe more or less talent had his resolve we wouldn't be talking about game 6.

I know the numbers, but I'll out myself as a Trouba supporter. I like him and I like the way he plays cause I know the way other teams, both fans and players, view him. Good for him.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I just learned today that Messier actually picks the finalists and winner all on his own. Fake award.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A stark reminder of what a clown shown the mains are.

Laughing at all the Penguins fans flooding the thread to complain about Trouba when Matt Cooke tried to dismember a dude.

Reactions: Raspewtin

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Penguins had by far the dirtiest team in the league for like a decade so it really is especially funny that they're still mad at Trouba for accidentally injuring Crosby

Reactions: Raspewtin

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Congrats to Trouba! If there’s an attribute that he should not be questioned on at all is the leadership.
As far as the other issues - I’m sure he’s harder on himself than anyone else could be (who’s in an earned position to actually challenge him).

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad