Speculation: Joel Farabee

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Josh Anderson + Jordan Harris/Justin Barron (both if you really want them) + WPG 1st 2024 for Farabee

Close to enough? I'd throw in a bit more from Montreal, maybe a Primeau-Peterson swap

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think you've had this explained to you by myself and others in different threads, but.

1. No, not every Flyer was better. What are you talking about? They got identical performance from most of their young guys the year prior—Tippett and Frost had essentially the same output and flaws as the year before—while others like Konecny and Cates regressed massively by the end of the season. Only Flyer who looked demonstrably better, in terms of developing and correcting mistakes, was Cam York.

2. Some will say Torts is a bad coach, but I just think he's the wrong coach at the wrong time. He alienates and exhausts a lot of your roster while milking 10-15 more points out of it than it should attain. That's not what they as an organization need at all. They're bereft of talent and have been for more than a decade. There's nothing to build around other than one maybe who is two years away in a far-off land.

Teaching a bunch of middle 6 wingers how to BLAWK SHAWTS and PLAY DA RIGHT WAY is not going to turn them into elite talents. Which is what they actually need. So the whole Torts experience is a sideshow that doesn't get them closer to anything, it just keeps them in the miserable middle for longer.

And Briere ain't gonna fire his boss. Briere's job was contingent on him promising to keep Torts around. Which is the sort of f***ed up power dynamic you get in a badly-run company, but I digress—I think Briere himself would be removed if he attempted to bring a Torts firing to ownership.
Conversely, you see a lot of super talented young teams straight up suck ass (Ottawa, Buffalo, Anaheim, etc.) because they don't get out of their junior habits and playing like they're still in juniors.

When do you propose these middle six players finally start playing winning hockey?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Conversely, you see a lot of super talented young teams straight up suck ass (Ottawa, Buffalo, Anaheim, etc.) because they don't get out of their junior habits and playing like they're still in juniors.

When do you propose these middle six players finally start playing winning hockey?

All of those teams you listed suck for different reasons. I basically said "the Flyers are trying to bake a cake with just butter, no flour" and you go "yeah so you're saying butter doesn't matter????"

You need all the ingredients. If you're doing something that prevents you from acquiring or retaining the most important ones, you should stop doing that.

Middle 6 wingers playing "winning hockey" doesn't f***ing mean anything if the team doesn't have enough talent to win. Period. There isn't some world where you're gonna Go Team! your way to a Cup, let alone a sustained contention window, with just buy-in and effort.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
All of those teams you listed suck for different reasons. I basically said "the Flyers are trying to bake a cake with just butter, no flour" and you go "yeah so you're saying butter doesn't matter????"

You need all the ingredients. If you're doing something that prevents you from acquiring or retaining the most important ones, you should stop doing that.

Middle 6 wingers playing "winning hockey" doesn't f***ing mean anything if the team doesn't have enough talent to win. Period. There isn't some world where you're gonna Go Team! your way to a Cup, let alone a sustained contention window, with just buy-in and effort.
Agree with the fact the team STILL, somehow 4 years later, is resistant to operate a proper rebuild and is/will pay for it with pure mediocrity.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Agree with the fact the team STILL, somehow 4 years later, is resistant to operate a proper rebuild and is/will pay for it with pure mediocrity.

Yup.

Like, if you want Torts there to make the lil guys GO HARD or whatever, fine. I don't love it, but fine.

But IF you're doing that, and you're going to play your way out of the top 5 in the draft every year, then you need to go for volume. Meaning you don't hem and haw over whether to trade Scott Laughton for a f***ing 1st rounder. And you don't even entertain the idea of signing Konecny: You start a bidding war and get all the loot you can. You might not even re-sign Tippett, if there was a 1st+ to be had there.

You should be loaded to the gills with high draft picks that you either make, with hopes one or two turn out game-changers, or you have to trade when game-changing talent becomes available. But just picking 12th and 27th every year doesn't do a ton to get you on the right track.

But they seem to think the "play the right way" thing is inherently tied to making playoff pushes, and are scared to trade the few valuable assets they have for fear of compromising that. Look, if the coach can't motivate the guys to develop good habits even without a potential Wild Card seed at the end of the string, what's the point of having him?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

PHLers21

Jun 2, 2024
To :hawks
LW/RW Joel Farabee

To :flyers
D Issak Phillips
Lightning 2024 1st round pick (20th overall)

Hawks have plenty of trade chips (Picks) in coming years adding a good young NHL talent to help team now and in coming years (Farabee is signed for next 4 years) would be a good investment

Farabee-Bedard-Kurashev as a 1st line could have very good potential. Bedard/Kurashev showed chemistry together with rotating 3rd wheel. Finding a player to occupy that spot full time would be nice to see

Flyers add another 1st for this year's draft (Would give them 3) or they can try to parlay that pick into another deal (Move up in draft potentially?)

Phillips is 22 yr old LD who has gained NHL experience these past few years but with Hawks LD depth/logjam (Vlasic, Korchinski, Kaiser and Del Mastro now in mix) he is probably odd man out going forward
From Elliotte Friedman:

"The other one I wonder about is Joel Farabee," he said.

Nothing more. But if there’s smoke, there’s fire?
Farabee is a former 1st rd pick, 24 y.o., set career high season with 50 pts, which is very good for low scoring team without PP. He just completed the second year of a six-year, $30 million contract. The contract doesn't have any trade clauses.

Who might be interested?

For me as a Flyers fan the worst case scenario is trade him just for picks.
Problem here is both Forester & Tippett prefer left side. TK will be resigned. Michkov plays right side.
Tippet - Zegres - TK
Forester - Frost - Michkov
Cates - Coots- Brink
44- 25 - 19

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Problem here is both Forester & Tippett prefer left side. TK will be resigned. Michkov plays right side.
Tippet - Zegres - TK
Forester - Frost - Michkov
Cates - Coots- Brink
44- 25 - 19
So many good wingers. Such poor centers. It starts with not resigning TK and trading him for a good to very good player and picks. Would the Ducks want TK for Zegras and picks?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
J.Farabee
O.Bonk

What would the ask be for both?

Untouchables are probably pretty obvious, but I'd say 7th overall would be in play here if it nets both guys. I just don't know if Philly wants another draft pick, and Ottawa doesn't really have any notable roster players to trade away outside of Chychrun. Figured I'd ask...

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
J.Farabee
O.Bonk

Untouchables are probably pretty obvious, but I'd say 7th overall would be in play here if it nets both guys. I just don't know if Philly wants another draft pick, and Ottawa doesn't really have any notable roster players to trade away outside of Chychrun. Figured I'd ask...
Can’t see the flyers moving bonk one year after drafting him

Reactions: dats81

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
J.Farabee
O.Bonk

trading 7th for decent return could be wise thing to do to get rid of the 24-25 or 26 penalty. I know its an early pick but losing a 12th or even a 22th (like Bonk) for nothing will sting.

But your are not getting both for 7th.

Lets throw more names in…

Farabee, Bonk, Konecny, Barkey, 12th

Grieg, Pinto, Chychrun, 7th.

Mix and match if needed.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
trading 7th for decent return could be wise thing to do to get rid of the 24-25 or 26 penalty. I know its an early pick but losing a 12th or even a 22th (like Bonk) for nothing will sting.

But your are not getting both for 7th.

Lets throw more names in…

Farabee, Bonk, Konecny, Barkey, 12th

Grieg, Pinto, Chychrun, 7th.

Mix and match if needed.

7th overall nets Bonk+ or Farabee+, but not both. That's fair, but the difference to make up for isn't adding Pinto, Greig, and Chychrun, for a bunch of stuff Ottawa doesn't want/need. This is honestly a terrible deal for Ottawa - Not only from a value perspective, but also from a needs one.

I would do Bonk + Farabee as a base for 7th + Chychrun (Philly ads but it's workable IMO), but the problem there is Ottawa no longer has any trade assets to aquire a RD while Bonk is developing. If they can't sign a UFA, they are screwed. So that's a non-starter.

I'd offer 7th + 39th for Bonk and Farabee in this case. I believe the value is good, but I can't speak to team needs for Philly.

Can’t see the flyers moving bonk one year after drafting him

I tend to agree, but if 7th overall is on the table, it might be enough to get them to consider it.

That said - this is all for fun anyways.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
7th overall nets Bonk+ or Farabee+, but not both. That's fair, but the difference to make up for isn't adding Pinto, Greig, and Chychrun, for a bunch of stuff Ottawa doesn't want/need. This is honestly a terrible deal for Ottawa - Not only from a value perspective, but also from a needs one.

I would do Bonk + Farabee as a base for 7th + Chychrun (Philly ads but it's workable IMO), but the problem there is Ottawa no longer has any trade assets to aquire a RD while Bonk is developing. If they can't sign a UFA, they are screwed. So that's a non-starter.

I'd offer 7th + 39th for Bonk and Farabee in this case. I believe the value is good, but I can't speak to team needs for Philly.

I tend to agree, but if 7th overall is on the table, it might be enough to get them to consider it.

Agreed I think they would do 7 for farabee

• Wow
Reactions: Grinner

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Got me wrong. Added more names. Didnt suggest all names be included.

Farabee for Mesar and Harris
Yikes. I know unloading Harris seems like a priority now but adding a stay at home ld doesnt do nothing for me.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

My bad then
Got no use for Konecny? And 12th? Seems a little harsh to go about « adding bunch of stuff Ott doesnt want »

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
From Elliotte Friedman:

"The other one I wonder about is Joel Farabee," he said.

Nothing more. But if there’s smoke, there’s fire?
Farabee is a former 1st rd pick, 24 y.o., set career high season with 50 pts, which is very good for low scoring team without PP. He just completed the second year of a six-year, $30 million contract. The contract doesn't have any trade clauses.

Who might be interested?

For me as a Flyers fan the worst case scenario is trade him just for picks.
There's nobody on the Flyers I wouldn't trade. As long as Torts is the man behind the bench it's going to be a struggle for Frost and Farabee. I'd deal one, alone or in a package, for a center

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Without sounding like a troll.

What is it that puts such a value on Farabee?
I didn't catch any Flyers games thus last season. Just looking at the stats has me wondering

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Rossi was playing 1C / 2c for a majority of the year. Wild don’t really need a winger, nor a lesser player in frost , not what our gm is looking for.

Are you saying you have no idea who Morgan Frost is? I'll clue you in; he's a dynamic, high-skilled center who came on the second half. He has high end 2C skill, and probably wouldn't look out of place as a 1C.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I offered 5th for Foerster or Farabee and Frost. Got roasted by everybody.

5th gets Philly a franchise defenseman. Unless of course you already have a dozen franchise defenseman in the oven.

Unless Demidov or Levshunov is there, I'd trade the pick. If Levs is there, it will cost Foerster AND Farabee, or we keep Levs annd build the new Ministry of Defense. Side could be Foerster and 12th with Habs option to get Farabee instead of 12th.

Philly gets future Hedman, Habs get two top 6 kids and exit the rebuild.

I'll wait....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad