Confirmed with Link: Joel Quenneville has resigned, asst. coach Andrew Brunette named interim head coach (READ POST #2!)

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
no.

barkov went out of his way to say bruno was the smartest hockey person he's ever met. that he points things out that very few people see.

I know he's not dumb, guy. You generally don't make it behind the bench of the top 4 sports leagues if you're not out-of-this-world intelligent. I'm just saying... I think he's got a dumb looking face.

I'm aware this is a failing of mine, not his.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I know he's not dumb, guy. You generally don't make it behind the bench of the top 4 sports leagues if you're not out-of-this-world intelligent. I'm just saying... I think he's got a dumb looking face.

I'm aware this is a failing of mine, not his.

ha. yeah, well i'll give you this much - he does have a somewhat softer look when compared to Q. that could be the extra 20 pounds he's carrying that has rounded his face out.

Reactions: Clint

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
As we knew it was about covering their asses for legal action
It always is, or seems to be, so when I read the words, I certainly struggle to think of them as sincerely stated. They may be sincere and well-meaning, but because of the way these statements usually go, using language that covers all the legal bases, my skepticism shoots up.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It always is, or seems to be, so when I read the words, I certainly struggle to think of them as sincerely stated. They may be sincere and well-meaning, but because of the way these statements usually go, using language that covers all the legal bases, my skepticism shoots up.
Eh I don’t blame them at all: one of the lawyers in the main board is far more knowledgeable but it was clear that legally this is a sticky situation: firing someone under a morality cause for something that happened eleven years ago under a different employer.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Eh I don’t blame them at all: one of the lawyers in the main board is far more knowledgeable but it was clear that legally this is a sticky situation: firing someone under a morality cause for something that happened eleven years ago under a different employer.
I get that, I meant that if I were Kyle Beech, I don’t know that I’d be thinking, it was nice of them to say that…

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Okay, so the more I've thought about and read about it, the more intrigued with Tortorella I've become.
Let me start by saying I'm a hard no on Boudreau. He just has too many playoff chokes on his hands.
I was hoping for Julien, but I'm not sure if his systems would compliment our personnel.

We're a team of castoffs and redemption stories.
Bennett being jerked around and shit on in Canada. Forsling the waiver pick-up. Verhaeghe the late bloomer. Hornqvist being dumped by Pittsburgh (and taking it personally). Gudas and his reputation. Reinhart and his Buffalo nightmare. Marchment suddenly coming out of nowhere. Weegar's long trek from nowhere. Duclair finally finding a home here...
Something tells me that these guys would be more likely to respond positively to Tortorella's intensity.

In terms of playing style, down the middle, we're perfect. Barkov, Bennett, Lundell, Luostarinen, and Acciari are all Tortorella players. Huberdeau's apparent goal to improve his defense must be music to Torts' ears. Verhaeghe, Hornqvist, and Vatrano are obviously Torts type players as well. Sounds like Bob had a rocky road with Torts, but he also had a lot of success. Knight grew up idolizing the Lundqivst/Tortorella Rangers.

Duclair/Tortorella may still be a sore spot, but that was a long time ago, and Duclair is a better player now.

If Zito wants him, and Bobrovsky/Duclair give their blessing (I don't care about Nutivaara, he's gone in a few months anyway, and he doesn't seem to be a factor on or off the ice), then I'm for Tortorella.

I am against it with a caveat, Zito has proven to be a very smart in his decisions, it is not possible that all his decisions have paid off, but that is what we have in front of us, his decision whichever it is, I know it would be done on how he sees his team, I would trust his decision even if I think is the wrong one, Torts can definitely coach that is unquestionable, it is the one on one part that he doesn't get, he is too aggressive and unless Zito put him on a short leash and a specific mandate, I don't think he is the right coach for this team right now, if we were in a different space where the team was underachieving, then by all means, have at it.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I just don't think Torts and Bob would get along, and I'd be willing to bet Bob's play would drop off if Torts came here. Even on the espn broadcast during the Red Wings game, while Torts did praise Bob's play in that game several times, he also couldn't help himself by saying, paraphrasing, " Bob's one problem is he has a hard time being consistent at playoff time. The one year he was consistent, we beat Tampa, and almost beat Boston. And me and him have gone back and forth on this, and I know he doesn't like me saying it, but it is what it is." For as smart a coach as Torts is, he still doesn't understand that Bob doesn't respond to constant beratement. You just have to leave Bob alone.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I just don't think Torts and Bob would get along, and I'd be willing to bet Bob's play would drop off if Torts came here. Even on the espn broadcast during the Red Wings game, while Torts did praise Bob's play in that game several times, he also couldn't help himself by saying, paraphrasing, " Bob's one problem is he has a hard time being consistent at playoff time. The one year he was consistent, we beat Tampa, and almost beat Boston. And me and him have gone back and forth on this, and I know he doesn't like me saying it, but it is what it is." For as smart a coach as Torts is, he still doesn't understand that Bob doesn't respond to constant beratement. You just have to leave Bob alone.
He also doesn’t understand that he’s not Michael Jordan. People won’t stick around that locker room if he’s a dick. Nobody likes a jerk boss unless the payday makes it worth it, and last I checked Torts hasn't made it worth it. He received the torch passed off from Mike Keenan as the biggest branded dickhead coach to win a Stanley Cup.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
That Torts isnt the right Coach for this Team stays out of Question, as a GM i would ask me. Why this Person always appears with a new Story and new Face, but after some Month and Years his old himself comes up again. Also i dont see how Torts System work with Q´s System that are 2 compelte different System.

I´m also personal against hiring Torts as new Panthers Coach.
Sorry when Q comeing in he was the same Q he was under Blackhawks from his art of Hockey and still works, so why change a running system that works.

I mean Torts is known for aggresive Coaching Style and 2 Coaches prove you work calm and good work this Team works. Boughner was also one of the tough Coaches.
But a Team Coach, questable in his methode if they could work with this Team, as a Owner/GM after what happend and with this Start, you wouldnt risk a single thing, that could cost you another PO Season.

Lol my bad wasn´t John Tortorella the Coach who called out the Columbus BlueJackets about the weak sight on Players Injuries, and called the Doctor out the would call the Injuries to easy. or did i mix it up.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Also Duke. Unlike Q who would put Duke on the fourth line so that he could earn his way back to the top line, Torts would simply bench him. And then probably call him out publicly.

Doesn't seem a fit at all.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

I figured I’d give some time for you folks to adjust to the resignation and appointment/promotion of Coach Brunette. I have a great deal of respect for him as a player. He was smart enough to continue playing well in the NHL as it became faster while he was becoming slower with his knee injuries.

To me that speaks to his character and intellect in how he sees the Game. I’m cheering for him to be able to continue coaching and hope he can take your franchise upwards and onwards.

Cheers.

Reactions: Panteras and KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Hi everyone,

I figured I’d give some time for you folks to adjust to the resignation and appointment/promotion of Coach Brunette. I have a great deal of respect for him as a player. He was smart enough to continue playing well in the NHL as it became faster while he was becoming slower with his knee injuries.

To me that speaks to his character and intellect in how he sees the Game. I’m cheering for him to be able to continue coaching and hope he can take your franchise upwards and onwards.

Cheers.
A sincere thanks for that opinion, but here’s one fan’s opinion (who, among many, has been waiting for a team of this caliper all of his fan-life): his ability as a player does not translate into his ability as a coach. Those are two separate skill sets. Gretzky wasn’t a good coach. The worst players and guys who never played at a high level have generally been the best coaches.

I think if you’re a great player and end up being a coach, unless you’re a very strict personality type, then your approach as a coach is mostly a complete no bullshit and make it clear to all, saying if you have a bad day or are in a slump, you’ll get a lesser role or demotion. Larry Bird was like that, only top level guy who comes to mind as a very good coach too, although he couldn’t take it more than a year or two.

Bruno is not it.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Wait, what now???
If he can come back, what the hell did he have to leave for in the first place????? This would piss me off to no end.
Not only that, he'll probably end up with some team that will give them the edge over us.

Why couldnt he come back with us? He's got unfinished business

Reactions: Vilam

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Why couldnt he come back with us? He's got unfinished business
That would be great, but it doesn't seem like it's feasible for some reason. Especially considering they said teams would be interested. Meaning he's not connected to the Panthers.
Post automatically merged:

Bashille was just let go in Detroit......
Yep.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
That would be great, but it doesn't seem like it's feasible for some reason. Especially considering they said teams would be interested. Meaning he's not connected to the Panthers.
Post automatically merged:

Yep.

Of course Panthers wouldnt talk about it in any way now. We never know what was agreed on behind closed doors and Bruno still is interim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad