Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Now on the bottom pair as Zaitsev is playing with Chabot
This is god damn asinine. I heard DJ's description of Zaitsev yesterday. He isnt describing the same player we are all watching. I have zero excitement about watching this game. Probably just going to get a good nights sleep, gonna be another thrashing. Time to send Gus down so they dont ruin his development playing in front of this mess.

All summer they said they wouldnt make the same mistakes as last year. Here we go EXACTLY the same thing.

That may mean the third pairing won't be awful so it could be good news.
Playing a way worse player up in the lineup is good news? I like your optimism. I dont share the same feelings. Zaitsev shouldnt even be in it should be Holden.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
This is god damn asinine. I heard DJ's description of Zaitsev yesterday. He isnt describing the same player we are all watching. I have zero excitement about watching this game. Probably just going to get a good nights sleep, gonna be another thrashing. Time to send Gus down so they dont ruin his development playing in front of this mess.

All summer they said they wouldnt make the same mistakes as last year. Here we go EXACTLY the same thing.

Playing a way worse player up in the lineup is good news? I like your optimism. I dont share the same feelings. Zaitsev shouldnt even be in it should be Holden.

Every once in a while I just watch Zaitsev for a few shifts. He always just looks kind of lost. Reacts late, when he hits guys it seems like they have full use of their sticks and can make plays anyway, even though he’s an “off the glass guy” he gives away the puck or facilitates the other team getting the puck in our end with alarming frequency.
All that said i think he tries, it’s just not working.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Remember all those dunking on this kid?

Good times.
It's a handful of games...lots of time to be better or worse...let's hope better.

People have opinions and sometimes they are wrong...news at 11.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think we will see them in a year. A lot can change in a year. Including weight gain and various other aspects of these players games. I can see both of these players being first call ups in injuries happen this season in our defensive core.

I just want to point out that I said Lassi would be a first call up if injuries happened.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Was his worst game since his call up. And it was not terrible. If this is his low as a rookie his prospects are good.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Love Lassi but lets send him back to the AHL! He is not learning anything in the NHL but different was to lose.

Let's have him man the number one defense pairing in the AHL and get some valuable ice time and confidence.

Save Lassi from this shit show of a year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yet it was ok to dunk on a guy who had yet to play a game?

C'mon man
Thomson simplified his game compared to how he played in the WHL and early on Belleville from what i've seen (didn't get to what him much in Ilves, only highlights) and I think that's resolved at least my concerns with him which mostly had to do with his decision making with the puck. Seems like a success by Troy Mann and his coaching staff (along with Lassi who obviously put in the work).

He always had a nice tool set, so as long as he played within his means he wasn't likely to bust as some were projecting, but it's nice to see him live up to a little more of his potential.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Lassi with a couple very odd icings yesterday.
And some very bad pinches which led to a goal against and some scoring chances.

He's probably NHL ready, and hes definitely good enough to play in our top 6, but I still see a lot of benefit from him going back down to the A and spending at least until the deadline bouncing between levels.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Love Lassi but lets send him back to the AHL! He is not learning anything in the NHL but different was to lose.

Let's have him man the number one defense pairing in the AHL and get some valuable ice time and confidence.

Save Lassi from this shit show of a year.

You have to start wondering if it’s a coincidence that guys look good coming up from Belleville and seem to gradually get worse as they spend time in the NHL.

This narrative that guys can’t progress or develop at the NHL level is ridiculous. If that were the case, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Tkachuk, and Formenton should all be in the AHL.

If guys aren’t progressing at the NHL level, maybe we should hire a quality NHL coaching staff.

Reactions: armani

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
ease him in and he will be fine

The problem with the sens is that all their logic about letting guys develop is thrown out the door when they get desperate. Pinto could have started as the top C in the AHL or atleast hide him on the 3rd line. Same with Lassi...insulate him with good players if you want guys to develop

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
With all his crinkles as a young rookie on a terribad team, Lassi is proving he can be an NHL defenceman. He has the tools to be a top-4 guy. Would he be the 2RD this team needs? Maybe in the future, currently he is just a rookie learning the ropes, and doing a good job of that. I am very happy with his progress!

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yet it was ok to dunk on a guy who had yet to play a game?

C'mon man
I don't even know what you are saying?

People jumped to conclusions on a prospect? Happens all the time both for over-hyping and disregarding. I guess you read some things that bothered you but I didn't see anything that bad.

Getting called a bust is pretty standard stuff.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Still good.

I thought he played that 2 on 1 perfectly, and gave Murray the shot. Murray should have had that first goal.

Like what I see from him, very good poise

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lassi with a couple very odd icings yesterday.
Hmm. I didn't stay up for the game last night, but odd icings and bad pinches are the types of mistakes I saw earlier in his development. Hopefully it's not a trend as I thought he'd cleaned up those elements.

To be fair, even with the odd poor pinch or bad icing, he's still better than some of the guys we've been playing the last few years...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hmm. I didn't stay up for the game last night, but odd icings and bad pinches are the types of mistakes I saw earlier in his development. Hopefully it's not a trend as I thought he'd cleaned up those elements.

To be fair, even with the odd poor pinch or bad icing, he's still better than some of the guys we've been playing the last few years...

He looked good last night, a few gaffs notwithstanding. Chabot had a few as well, one in particular ended up straight into the empty net, and he had an outstanding game, so no need to knock the kids overall performance.

He has that uncanny EK ability to have almost all of his shots get through to the net, and his defending was solid yet again, positioning gap control, 1 on 1 and 2 on 1. Simply put he’s good, with room to improve. Big smile all the time too.

He is without question a top 3 defender on this team at the moment (not saying a whole lot, but still good news).

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think last night was the first time where Thomson did something that made me go "wtf are you doing". Still, it was one mistake of misreading an oncoming rush and he's a rookie, it'll happen. He was still pretty solid and his ice time was 2nd most on the ice. Distribution was evenly spread and I think he's keeping up with what he's being asked to do...so far lol

Reactions: guyzeur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Agreed second paragraph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad