Leon Draisaitl is one of the best playoff performers in NHL history

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Imo he definitely moves on via trade or FA. Unless Edmonton won a cup this season. Which is highly unlikely. I don't think he will stay just for the money. Edmonton's management has proven they are unable to get important pieces to a cup. I'd be stunned if he signed back up there.

Boston would be a legit contender with him. But if it's via trade, Edmonton will ask for a lot.
Ulmark and gryz and 2nd rounder should do it if ulmark waives his nmc. 😉

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Best Oilers all time

Gretz
McDavid
Messier
Coffee
Kurri

Draisaitl legit shot at coming right after Messier ahead of Coffee for number 4 on the all time Oiler greats

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not sure what level of mental gymnastics is required to automatically equate the bolded with making it out of the 3rd round (against a vastly superior team) but you're outperforming Simone Biles right about now. Trying to rationalize a weak argument is always gonna be harder than simply being rational from the get go. You should consider trying the latter.

Draisaitl is an incredible playoff performer who hasn't made it to the cup finals yet. Both things can be true at the same time.
Calling Draisaitl the best playoff performer is like calling Ussain Bolt the fastest marathon runner by adding up all his 100m runs together.

He's never come close to going the distance.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I've been following the Oilers since the mid-1980s and have seen nearly all of Drai's games since mid 2019-20 (and many for years prior to that, of course).

My opinion is that the best hockey he's ever played was:
-- latter half (roughly) of 2019-20 regular season
-- first 20 games of 2021-22 regular season
-- 2022 playoffs (before third round, by which point he could barely skate)
-- 2024 playoffs

This past regular season, he was great as usual, but not as good as the season prior. In addition to his stats being down a bit this year (still elite, mind), he was making rather poor decisions in full control of the puck in his own zone all season. (My butt-cheeks were tired from all the clenching I was doing as he took control of pucks in the Oilers' end.)

So, I wasn't sure what he'd bring in the playoffs. But, once again, he flipped the switch and has been absolutely lights-out, nearly every game. He's also been completely reliable with the puck in dangerous spots. And he leads the playoffs in scoring. He also has a remarkable ability to win offensive zone face-offs (when he isn't tossed) when the Oil are on the PP, which has led to several goals.

He's already a legendary playoff performer in a rather strong list of Oilers playoff performers. I mean, he scored more points in a 5-game series than Gretzky ever did, and he's currently riding a longer from-start-of-playoff points streak than Gretzky ever had (still short of Messier's record, mind). When you're in that territory, you're doing well.

2017 playoffs? To me that was the coming out party for his playoff beast-mode.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

The Oilers are scoring a goal for every 8'ish minutes of Draisaitl ice time.

Wow... not scoring a goal, netting (net-positive) one goal every 8'ish minutes. Very impressive.

When he's on his two-way game he is literally the best two-way Oiler since prime Messier.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He doesn't play a lick of defense. Imagine if the other stars around the league completely abandoned the 2nd half of the ice and cherry picked for 2 on 1's all game long what their production would look like. Now imagine they also had McDavid feeding them on the PP (in which they draw top of the league in PP opportunities). Then all he has to do is let the goalie and coach be the scapegoat.

He is obviously an incredible player. I enjoy watching him a lot, and especially love watching him on the PP and how he can score on the slimmest angles. But if you watch him it is obvious why the team has never won anything in the postseason..
Do you still unironically think this? One of the most dominant defensive games from a forward I’ve seen in years last night

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Calling Draisaitl the best playoff performer is like calling Ussain Bolt the fastest marathon runner by adding up all his 100m runs together.

No it's not... It's like saying someone has one of the fastest top end speeds in the world when you look at their 100 time split in a 4x1. You keep trying to shift the goalposts when people are simply saying he performs extremely well in the post-season. Nobody's trying to rank him above Roy & Gretzky.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Do you still unironically think this? One of the most dominant defensive games from a forward I’ve seen in years last night
I'm a die-hard Oiler fan, and its REALLY f***ing hard to watch these games that drops the puck at 11pm our time. It's safe to assume only Die-Hard fans are watching the games, and everyone else just goes off of lazy narratives (including the Toronto-based media)

Just let them.

The cope helps them sleep at night, while snuggling their Matthews plushies.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Best Oilers all time

Gretz
McDavid
Messier
Coffee
Kurri

Draisaitl legit shot at coming right after Messier ahead of Coffee for number 4 on the all time Oiler greats
Do you really put McDavid above Messier? I know he's more talented...but I mean, it's Mark Messier. He led the Oilers to a cup two years after Gretzky left. Just feels like McDavid still needs to do more to pass Messier.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
McDavid and Draisaitl don't touch the top until they win a cup. Talent wise yes, but results in the playoffs are what really matters.
Best Oilers all time

Gretz
McDavid
Messier
Coffee
Kurri

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
He is on his his way. Took OV 13 years to get past the second round. Even though he played for top teams for years.
Even if you only count the first two rounds Draisaitls number blow OV out of the play off waters.....among other elite cup winning players
He may be on his way, but as mentioned he will need to prove it in the later rounds, which he hasn't yet.

As to Ovechkin, I don't consider him among the "best playoff performers in NHL history" either.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ijuka

May 14, 2016

We're comparing players, not teams.

Unless you're saying Sheldon Brookbank is a greater player than Connor McDavid.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Do you really put McDavid above Messier? I know he's more talented...but I mean, it's Mark Messier. He led the Oilers to a cup two years after Gretzky left. Just feels like McDavid still needs to do more to pass Messier.
Yeah, I tend to agree. But maybe that isn't fair? Those dynasty era teams were just stacked - and even 1990 was surprisingly good (and had Ranford playing lights-out). It feels a little wrong to judge McDavid and Draisaitl for their team's shortcomings.

Still, it's hard to argue against Mess's hardware case. 5 (+1) Cups, a Conn Smythe, and two Harts and two Pearsons (1 each as an Oiler, 1 each as a Ranger).

Reactions: SmytheKing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad