Value of: Linus Ullmark to your goalie needy team

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When you consider what Chychrun's value would be, that would be an insane return on a goalie who needs a new contract.

Assume on the lower end that Chychrun moved at the deadline for a 2nd and a prospect. Lets say he goes to detroit for a 2nd and Wallinder or Mazur.

That would mean that Ullmark, with a trade clause that could make him very difficult to move and needing a new deal, would get a nearly unprecedented goalie return. At 31 years old. On the low end that return would be a 1st, 2nd, decent prospect (not just a connor timmins reclamation project), and another pick lol. That's kind of insane unless it involves Korpi going back...which doesn't make much sense for Boston imo

Counter is that it’s a shallow draft and Ullmark ain’t no Darcy Kuempfer. Agree it’s too much, tho.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Counter is that it’s a shallow draft and Ullmark ain’t no Darcy Kuempfer. Agree it’s too much, tho.
I'd wager that it's too early to really say for sure what the 2025 draft is with any certainty (given that Ottawa selects #7 in this draft, I think we call safely say that package isn't including that pick).

Also, some people are bagging on Kuemper after the fact. Surface level, there are a lot of similarities, though NHL has access to more data than I do. Both entering 31 age season. Both had a single year left on their deal.

Kuemper at the time of his trade had played 242 games with a .917 save percentage, 20 shutouts.

Ullmark is currently at 247, .918 save percentage 8 shutouts.

At the time of their moves, Kuemper had started the last 3 years (plus 10 games the year prior) totalling 121 games with Arizona at a .920 clip. Ullmark at 130 GP the last three with Boston at a .924 on a far superior team, I think we can agree.

Now, Ullmark more recent stuff is higher scoring for sure. And I don't have access to the models, but I'd wager that Ullmark has better GSAX numbers across the board and that stuff matters.

But Kuemper also had absolutely no trade protection when he was moved. So I definitely think the Kuemper trade is probably a realistic negotiating point from both ends.

Reactions: BronxBruin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd wager that it's too early to really say for sure what the 2025 draft is with any certainty (given that Ottawa selects #7 in this draft, I think we call safely say that package isn't including that pick).

Also, some people are bagging on Kuemper after the fact. Surface level, there are a lot of similarities, though NHL has access to more data than I do. Both entering 31 age season. Both had a single year left on their deal.

Kuemper at the time of his trade had played 242 games with a .917 save percentage, 20 shutouts.

Ullmark is currently at 247, .918 save percentage 8 shutouts.

At the time of their moves, Kuemper had started the last 3 years (plus 10 games the year prior) totalling 121 games with Arizona at a .920 clip. Ullmark at 130 GP the last three with Boston at a .924 on a far superior team, I think we can agree.

Now, Ullmark more recent stuff is higher scoring for sure. And I don't have access to the models, but I'd wager that Ullmark has better GSAX numbers across the board and that stuff matters.

But Kuemper also had absolutely no trade protection when he was moved. So I definitely think the Kuemper trade is probably a realistic negotiating point from both ends.

They own Boston’s 2024 pick. I assume that’s what would be involved not their own first.

Reactions: bme44 and Forge

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It seems to me that Boston doesn’t have a lot of leverage in extracting top value for Ulmark. Everyone knows Boston will be looking to unload him because Swayman is going to get a big raise. Maybe some team steps up, I don’t know. But it seems to me they may only get a mid level pick for him
Well they don’t have to trade him? I wouldn’t trade him unless the return was really good. They can roll both goalies out if they want. Sweeney knows what he has here. No need for a salary dump. Boston isn’t in salary cap hell or anything. They will be fine regardless of if they trade Ullmark. If anything it’s the no trade clause that will hold them back. I could see them rolling out both goalies again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad