Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

KPD, FWIW (not much),

When it comes to the Bruins’ goalie situation, it looks like Linus Ullmark is a goner​

By Kevin Paul Dupont Globe Staff,Updated May 19, 2024, 5:54 p.m.

Linus Ullmark started only one playoff game for the Bruins after making 39 starts during the regular season and posting a 22-10-7 record.
Linus Ullmark started only one playoff game for the Bruins after making 39 starts during the regular season and posting a 22-10-7 record.MATTHEW J. LEE/GLOBE STAFF
Linus Ullmark made a name for himself here the last three years after being filched away from Buffalo to be a workhorse in the Bruins net.
He won 88 games, ranking him the NHL’s eighth best in that category across the last three regular seasons. He won a Vezina Trophy a year ago, after his astounding 40-6-1 mark in 2022-23. He even became a member of the exclusive group of goalies to score a goal with his high-toss, long-range wrister into an empty net one night in Vancouver.
Now it looks like Ullmark is a goner, his value to the Bruins today not so much about how much rubber he can stop, but how much dough the 30-year-old can save the club if it trades him, likely in the days leading up to the June 28-29 NHL Draft in Las Vegas.
Advertisement

Such is life in the NHL salary cap world, where roster churn is a fait accompli and the CBA’s defined math alone can dictate who stays, who goes, who gets tonight’s start in net.
Get Garden Party
A seasonal pop-up newsletter covering everything you need to know about the Celtics' and Bruins' postseasons.
Enter Email
Owed another $5 million as the final installment on the four-year/$20 million deal he signed to come aboard as a free agent in July 2021, Ullmark’s money now is expected to be folded into the haul Jeremy Swayman collects in the coming weeks as a restricted free agent.
RELATED: With playoff run over, Jake DeBrusk deals with possibility of leaving Bruins behind in free agency
Swayman, the in-residence, homegrown phenom, is expected to ink a long-term pact that could as much as double the $3.475 million he earned this season, which culminated with him making 11 straight starts in the playoffs.
“It’s hard to not hear it,” Ullmark said late Sunday morning, acknowledging the increasing trade chatter around him as he packed up for the summer — and perhaps for the final time — at the club’s Brighton practice facility. “You can’t isolate yourself, because then you’d live in a shed in the woods and [only] show up to practice here sometimes.”
Advertisement

Addressing the gaggle of reporters around his stall in the Guest Street dressing room, Ullmark added, “I mean, I have you guys … you’re always going to ask questions, you want to know what’s happening … and [look for] answers you might want. But I’m not going to give any good answers other than that.”
It’s not really a new drill for Ullmark. He openly noted the realities of the business, and the chance he could be dealt, a year ago in Nashville when accepting the Vezina prior to the draft. Talk back then was that general manager Don Sweeney, faced with myriad factors that pushed payroll hard up against the then $83.5 million salary cap, wouldn’t have enough loose change to keep both Ullmark and Swayman on the job.
Swayman ultimately landed his one-year deal via salary arbitration, and the two goalies remained aboard, largely due to Sweeney using paper clips, bobby pins, and S&H Green Stamps to hire on low-budget veterans James van Riemsdyk, Kevin Shatterkirk, Milan Lucic, and Danton Heinen to fill various roster holes.
A year later, most, if not all, of those Dollar Store plug-ins aren’t expected back, largely because fresh faces Matthew Poitras, Mason Lohrei, and Andrew Peeke (a March trade acquisition) all are expected to land full-time work in Black and Gold come October.
Advertisement

Linus Ullmark (right) and Jeremy Swayman developed a supportive bond as the Bruins' goaltending tandem.' goaltending tandem.
Linus Ullmark (right) and Jeremy Swayman developed a supportive bond as the Bruins' goaltending tandem.JOHN TLUMACKI/GLOBE STAFF
With Ullmark dished to offset Swayman’s big bump in pay, that should leave Sweeney with some $20 million-plus in cash for more free agent shopping as of July 1.
Priority 1: a bona fide No. 1 center; Priority 2: a top four defenseman who can average 20:00, add vital support in back, and allow Charlie McAvoy and Hampus Lindholm to increase their impact; Priority 3: a top six scoring winger who can fill the void expected if/when the unsigned Jake DeBrusk taps the UFA market elsewhere for, say, $6 million a year or more.
Rumors at the March 8 trade deadline had Ullmark going to the Kings for Pierre-Luc Dubois, the ever-underperforming 6-foot-4-inch center. The same rumors had Ullmark using his 16-team no-trade clause to nix the deal. Dubois stayed in LA. Ullmark stayed with the Bruins and ultimately was relegated to backup duty in the postseason.
“He was putting on a heck of a performance,” a gracious, secure Ullmark said of Swayman while reflecting on being the backup. “That was basically the only reason I wasn’t playing any more games, because he was probably the best goaltender in these Stanley Cup playoffs.”
With Ullmark moved out, Swayman would be positioned as the club’s clear-cut No. 1. Swayman’s workload likely would be increased in the regular season and he would partner with Brandon Bussi, who just wrapped up his second solid season with AHL Providence.
“Was it hard? Yeah, it was hard,” Ullmark said of hearing the trade rumors. “Because you’re very comfortable where you are, you don’t want to move when you feel like you’re playing well, you have the team and you have the trust in the teammates. I’m not the only one [the subject] of trade talks, obviously.”
Advertisement

“And for me, it’s above my pay grade, as well, really. I don’t have the luxury to choose. If I could, I’m probably going to say the same thing as everybody else: I want to stay. But we live in the world of professional sports and you’ve got to deal with that.”
RELATED: Jeremy Swayman was clearly the story of the Bruins’ playoff run: ‘Night in and night out gave us an opportunity to win’
The dealing is in Sweeney’s hands. Technically, Ullmark’s limited no-trade list winnows the field, but that can shift with the speed of a shot deflected low in the slot.
Example: If Ullmark has the Devils on his nix list, his posture could change if Sweeney allowed New Jersey GM Tom Fitzgerald to entice Ullmark to Newark with a four-year contract extension worth, say, $25 million. Ullmark still could nix the trade, albeit with the risk that he’s dealt to another team for the upcoming season and enters the UFA market July 1, 2025.
Would the offers for Ullmark a year from now be better? Maybe. Maybe not. By definition, pay grades are all about the money, and dollars often define the discussion.

ED NOTE: If Sweeney actually attempted to trade Ullmark for a useless piece of sh*t who will never, ever understand hard work, accountability, teamwork, etc., then he clearly hasn't grown as much as I thought.

If true, I continue to question the competence and common sense of the SGITR. (Figure out the acronym, Smartest Guy In The Room.)

Self admittedly not a KDP guy but he definitely is a mouthpiece for the organization. There’s legs there if he’s saying it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the five teams looking at it that could have interest in Ullmark are Edmonton, Colorado, LA, New Jersey, and Detroit. I don’t put Toronto in there because I doubt they’d deal him there. And I don’t think Ullmark waives for Edmonton. And Detroit being I. The division might hinder that.

So Colorado, LA, New Jersey. Maybe a swap for a roster player that could help fill a hole. I think in no way do they get a first for Ullmark. Goalies have lower value.

Philly could certainly use an Ullmark. Barely missed the playoffs because of mediocre (at best) goaltending.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A couple of things on this. You get Sway a break after a long and hard fought series where he basically had to be near perfect in order for the team to win. The rest would have been just as much mental as physical and if Ullmark spit the bit in game one, you come right back with Sway. It was a win win situation. You play a guy that has immense confidence against that team and see if they get in their own heads. If it doesn't work, you still have Swayman waiting in the wings. Instead they won the first but dropped the next 3. Even if they wanted to go with Sway, they should have given him a blow in game 3 after the loss.

I mean do you realize how f***ing ridiculous it is to need your goaltender to put up a .960 sv% just to give you a chance to win? That's mentally fatiguing, They only won one game in the playoffs this year with a SV% below that and that was Sway still posting a .933 SV% in game 2 vs TOR,

So yeah, that's why you do it.

Didn't look to me like Sway needed a break.

As for Ullmark's confidence against the Panthers, last time he played a playoff game in Florida he floundered (regardless of injury).

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Didn't look to me like Sway needed a break.

As for Ullmark's confidence against the Panthers, last time he played a playoff game in Florida he floundered (regardless of injury).

Swayman allowed 3 goals combined his final two games. If that’s playing tired than I’m more than fine with that going forward, especially if he gets an offseason to prepare more for next season as the true #1 goalie.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I think the five teams looking at it that could have interest in Ullmark are Edmonton, Colorado, LA, New Jersey, and Detroit. I don’t put Toronto in there because I doubt they’d deal him there. And I don’t think Ullmark waives for Edmonton. And Detroit being I. The division might hinder that.

So Colorado, LA, New Jersey. Maybe a swap for a roster player that could help fill a hole. I think in no way do they get a first for Ullmark. Goalies have lower value
Carolina should be on that list

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
People thinking they're going to get a haul for Ullmark are delusional. Goalies don't typically get great returns, especially when they've lost their starting job. His value to Boston is far higher than it is to another team. The only reason to move him is for cap space, which is why taking on other team's potential cap casualties at the deadline was a questionable move. But too many folks here don't want to hear the truth.
Well, if there are two teams interested his value only goes up.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So Colorado, LA, New Jersey. Maybe a swap for a roster player that could help fill a hole. I think in no way do they get a first for Ullmark. Goalies have lower value.
I agree with this 100%. I think Chicago might be in the mix as well. They need goaltending, have the cap space and a ton of draft capital. Whether or not it happens, who knows? But Ullmark for Pick #34 isn't out of the realm of possibility....

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
People thinking they're going to get a haul for Ullmark are delusional. Goalies don't typically get great returns, especially when they've lost their starting job. His value to Boston is far higher than it is to another team. The only reason to move him is for cap space, which is why taking on other team's potential cap casualties at the deadline was a questionable move. But too many folks here don't want to hear the truth.
I think the Bruins should get a decent return for a couple of reason.
1. The Bruins aren't pressed to trade him. Teams can't leverage the deal in their favor.
2. Even though Ullmark has a limited NTC, there are plenty of teams looking for a 1A G.
3. Vezina winners being traded within two years of the award is very rare. MAF was dealt in '21 due to Vegas having MAJOR cap issues and there wasn't a market out there, other than CHI needing to get to the cap floor. Dominik Hasek was dealt from BUF to DET due to BUF financial issues. They got Kozlov and a 1st.

There isn't a cap issue. Ullmark's cap hit isn't big. There will be multiple teams interested that are likely not on his NTC list.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
1. The Bruins aren't pressed to trade him. Teams can't leverage the deal in their favor.
2. Even though Ullmark has a limited NTC, there are plenty of teams looking for a 1A G.
3. Vezina winners being traded within two years of the award is very rare. MAF was dealt in '21 due to Vegas having MAJOR cap issues and there wasn't a market out there, other than CHI needing to get to the cap floor. Dominik Hasek was dealt from BUF to DET due to BUF financial issues. They got Kozlov and a 1st.

There isn't a cap issue. Ullmark's cap hit isn't big. There will be multiple teams interested that are likely not on his NTC list.
I hope you’re right. It would help the team a lot if they can get as much as possible for him, obviously.

Reactions: Alicat

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

If you are gonna use Fleury as a trade comp (and its not a bad one), you should use the comp of when Chicago traded him to Minnesota at the deadline. Not when Chicago acquired him from Vegas, because of the reasons you called out in your original post.

Minnesota ended up giving up a conditional Second Round Pick to Chicago for Fleury +50% salary retention.

I think Ullmark will bring a similar return......Low 1st rounder at best, more likely a high second rounder. Or a player of equivalent value. Hopefully they can get more, but that's about what I think people should realistically expect.

Colorado trading for Darcy Kuemper is another decent goalie trade comp...

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If you are gonna use Fleury as a trade comp (and its not a bad one), you should use the comp of when Chicago traded him to Minnesota at the deadline. Not when Chicago acquired him from Vegas, because of the reasons you called out in your original post.

Minnesota ended up giving up a conditional Second Round Pick to Chicago for Fleury +50% salary retention.

I think Ullmark will bring a similar return......Low 1st rounder at best, more likely a high second rounder. Or a player of equivalent value. Hopefully they can get more, but that's about what I think people should realistically expect.

Colorado trading for Darcy Kuemper is another decent goalie trade comp...
At the the time of that CHI-MIN trade deadline deal....

Fleury was 37 years old, UFA that summer, had 45G 19W-21L-5T, 2.95GAA and .908SPCT. 7m hit with 6m salary.

Ullmark is 30 years old, UFA after next season, had 40G 22W-10L-7T, 2.55GAA and .910SPCT. 5m hit with 4.5m salary.

Younger, better numbers, cheaper and at least a full season of control. I think he gets a better return than you think..

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
At the the time of that CHI-MIN trade deadline deal....

Fleury was 37 years old, UFA that summer, had 45G 19W-21L-5T, 2.95GAA and .908SPCT. 7m hit with 6m salary.

Ullmark is 30 years old, UFA after next season, had 40G 22W-10L-7T, 2.55GAA and .910SPCT. 5m hit with 4.5m salary.

Younger, better numbers, cheaper and at least a full season of control. I think he gets a better return than you think..
I didn't say it was gonna be exact, but I think its close. Their Save % was almost identical and Fleury was playing on a shitty Chicago team that was imploding. Also, Chicago retained 50% on Fleury, so his cap hit was really closer to $3.5mil. Yeah, Ullmark has a year left, but he also has a limited NTC, so his potential market is a lot tighter and he's not looking to move on, which weakens Boston's trade leverage.

We'll see what happens....They're definitely gonna move him, but I'll be shocked if they get anything more than a low 1st rounder (or equivalent) for him.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Carolina should be on that list
Carolina should absolutely be on that list. Not shocking for us who watched him in nets for Toronto, but Freddy Andersen imploded in the third period again, costing Carolina their season. He was a deer in the headlights once again. They need Ullmark and they need him now.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Personally I would rather a proven serviceable player forward or defenseman, doesn't really matter. But someone who will be reliable in the lineup the next 3 - 4 years. Draft picks are a roll of the dice and usually 3 - 4 years away if ever.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Carolina should absolutely be on that list. Not shocking for us who watched him in nets for Toronto, but Freddy Andersen imploded in the third period again, costing Carolina their season. He was a deer in the headlights once again. They need Ullmark and they need him now.
have to think something could be done around Necas/Ullmark, Necas would make Lysell expendable unless they really want to try him at C (seems like hes more of a Wing).

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Never dawned on me that he can put teams in his list that have absolutely no need for a G.

He really can make himself untradeable if he desires. wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad