LW Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024 Draft)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Very interesting prospect with the possibility of a huge ceiling but he plays an extremely junior game with a ton of reckless turnovers, atrocious defensive play at times and as well as poor body language . He has very few start and stops as a winger should and consistently cheats with looping routes that take him out of position for far too long. This stuff is all very correctable if he has the right attitude and imo that is the key with this kid. I think he is likely 3 years away from the NHL and will need to be handled properly.

He looks to be physically and mentally immature so there is a gamble here and any team seriously considering drafting him inside the top ten will really need to do their homework on him.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Very interesting prospect with the possibility of a huge ceiling but he plays an extremely junior game with a ton of reckless turnovers, atrocious defensive play at times and as well as poor body language . He has very few start and stops as a winger should and consistently cheats with looping routes that take him out of position for far too long. This stuff is all very correctable if he has the right attitude and imo that is the key with this kid. I think he is likely 3 years away from the NHL and will need to be handled properly.

He looks to be physically and mentally immature so there is a gamble here and any team seriously considering drafting him inside the top ten will really need to do their homework on him.

This. Especially the maturity part.

I'm a Habs fan and this is the only forward prospect discussed at #5 that I would be pissed if we end up picking. The bust potential is huge.

Reactions: Habssince89

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This. Especially the maturity part.

I'm a Habs fan and this is the only forward prospect discussed at #5 that I would be pissed if we end up picking. The bust potential is huge.

Parekh is the one that I don't want any part of but I will trust HuGo to do their due diligence as they will have the same concerns and will need to have them alleviated before feeling comfortable with selecting him.

Sennecke could be an absolute steal at #5 or he could bust and be another Ho-Sang

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He’s slow and weak on his skates, poor defensively, and questionable in terms of hockey IQ, so my question is, why would you ask that?
What? Literally all of those skill assessments are different from what I have seen from this player. I don’t think he’s a future center, but he is very involved defensively and IQ is his best trait.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
20+ full games spread over 2 years. IQ is definitely the thing about him that has stood out to me and the reason I have seen that many of his games. Effective creativity is hard to come by and he has it in spades.
I knew that’s what you were talking about. IQ and offensive creativity aren’t necessarily the same thing, especially when Sennecke’s creativity pretty much only has to do with the puck being on his stick (dekes, puck handling). He tries to force plays, often holds onto the puck too long, misses the simple/effective play, skates himself into trouble, and turns the puck over a lot thanks to this creativity as well. He isn’t a great playmaker, and his vision is nothing special. Those are all IQ issues.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I knew that’s what you were talking about. IQ and offensive creativity aren’t necessarily the same thing, especially when Sennecke’s creativity pretty much only has to do with the puck being on his stick (dekes, puck handling). He tries to force plays, often holds onto the puck too long, misses the simple/effective play, skates himself into trouble, and turns the puck over a lot thanks to this creativity as well. He isn’t a playmaker, and his vision is nothing special. Those are all IQ issues.
Those are all young player/experience issues and you are very much overstating them IMO, you want guys making difficult plays at this stage to learn what they can and can’t do. He adapts very quickly to his competition and exploits their tendencies. He reads defenders and coverage very well, using feints and cutbacks to open lanes, his vision and passing is excellent.

In my eyes, he is a guy that very clearly thinks the game at a level above his current physical abilities, he makes great decisions, but often doesn’t execute to perfection. That is very normal and should improve dramatically over time with reps. He is very raw in that sense and does turn it over, but he is also one of the first guys back and battles for possession all over the ice. Demonstrates high compete and a growth mindset IMO, traits you absolutely covet in a guy with his projectable toolset.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Those are all young player/experience issues and you are very much overstating them IMO, you want guys making difficult plays at this stage to learn what they can and can’t do. He adapts very quickly to his competition and exploits their tendencies. He reads defenders and coverage very well, using feints and cutbacks to open lanes, his vision and passing is excellent.

In my eyes, he is a guy that very clearly thinks the game at a level above his current physical abilities, he makes great decisions, but often doesn’t execute to perfection. That is very normal and should improve dramatically over time with reps. He is very raw in that sense and does turn it over, but he is also one of the first guys back and battles for possession all over the ice. Demonstrates high compete and a growth mindset IMO, traits you absolutely covet in a guy with his projectable toolset.
Your post is coming off as you liking the player, so you’re dismissing legitimate criticisms and flaws in his game as “young player issues”. Thats called bias. All the players in this draft are young. You could dismiss criticism of any of these players as “young player issues”. It doesn’t change the fact that these criticisms and flaws are valid, and that there are players in this class who are much better in these areas than Sennecke. He lacks IQ, but is creative with the puck on his stick. Can he improve? Sure, but you can say that about any player this age.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Parekh is the one that I don't want ant part of but I will trust HuGo to do their due diligence as they will have the same concerns and will need to have them alleviated before feeling comfortable with selecting him.

Sennecke could be an absolute steal at #5 or he could bust and be another Ho-Sang
I personally don't see him even being in their purview. The only defenceman I think they'd consider assuming Levshunov is gone is Buium

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Your post is coming off as you liking the player, so you’re dismissing legitimate criticisms and flaws in his game as “young player issues”. Thats called bias. All the players in this draft are young. You could dismiss criticism of any of these players as “young player issues”. It doesn’t change the fact that these criticisms and flaws are valid, and that there are players in this class who are much better in these areas than Sennecke. He lacks IQ, but is creative with the puck on his stick. Can he improve? Sure, but you can say that about any player this age.
I am viewing it as the player he is likely to become, not what he is at the current moment in time. I am assuming he is two years or more away from seeing NHL ice. And frankly disagree with you about IQ entirely. I like the potential in this player a lot, I have no personal connection to him or his team and my only bias is that I have found his games to be highly impressive and enjoy watching him play hockey.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I am viewing it as the player he is likely to become, not what he is at the current moment in time. I am assuming he is two years or more away from seeing NHL ice. And frankly disagree with you about IQ entirely. I like the potential in this player a lot, I have no personal connection to him or his team and my only bias is that I have found his games to be highly impressive and enjoy watching him play hockey.
I’m not here to try and change your opinion. We see things differently. That’s ok. But let me ask you something. Does he not remind you of KK at the same age? I’m not sure how much you watched KK at that age, but to me, they look so similar out there: strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, the way they move, decision making, etc. They’re even the same size and were both late risers. Forget the fact that KK has been disappointing for a second. To me they are very similar players on the ice. The difference is going to be personality, attitude, and work ethic - all areas where KK was lacking. Eager to see Sennecke’s combine and interviews.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I’m not here to try and change your opinion. We see things differently. That’s ok. But let me ask you something. Does he not remind you of KK at the same age? I’m not sure how much you watched KK at that age, but to me, they look so similar out there: strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, the way they move, decision making, etc. They’re even the same size and were both late risers. Forget the fact that KK has been disappointing for a second. To me they are very similar players on the ice. The difference is going to be personality, attitude, and work ethic - all areas where KK was lacking. Eager to see Sennecke’s combine and interviews.
I’m not sure which KK you are referring to as there are several, but I will assume Kotkaniemi who I did not find very interesting as a prospect or NHLer personally. I agree that we seem to just be seeing things differently on this player. I am also very interested in his combine though, for me, his VO2 max will be important, conditioning potential is probably my main concern for his future, along with his ability to add mass and muscle to his frame.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I’m not sure which KK you are referring to as there are several, but I will assume Kotkaniemi who I did not find very interesting as a prospect or NHLer personally. I agree that we seem to just be seeing things differently on this player. I am also very interested in his combine though, for me, his VO2 max will be important, conditioning potential is probably my main concern for his future, along with his ability to add mass and muscle to his frame.
Yes, Kotkaniemi. I forgot I was on the main boards for a second lol. As a non-Habs fan, you probably aren’t too familiar with him then, especially when he was that age. You’ve likely only heard and seen the bad, but he was a promising prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He’s slow and weak on his skates, poor defensively, and questionable in terms of hockey IQ, so my question is, why would you ask that?

he doesn't strike me as slow. He'll need a few years to physically mature though, major lack of strength but nice hands. I think he's the Habs pick because I assume Demidov falling is a pipe dream and while I haven't seen any WHL games in a couple years, if Lindstrom is hyped as a possible Lindros then it seems unlikely he would make it to 5th OA.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Yes, Kotkaniemi. I forgot I was on the main boards for a second lol. As a non-Habs fan, you probably aren’t too familiar with him then, especially when he was that age. You’ve likely only heard and seen the bad, but he was a promising prospect.
Ah, i see. Your opinion of Sennecke is biaised because of Kotkaniemi. They’re not the same type of player, at all.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ah, i see. Your opinion of Sennecke is biaised because of Kotkaniemi. They’re not the same type of player, at all.
“Based of Kotkaniemi” in that they are similar, imo? Yes, absolutely. They are both big, rangy, slowish players who can get creative with the puck and have limited IQ, aside from that. They’re both weak and uncoordinated with balance issues. I’d like to hear you try to explain how they aren’t similar without the use of revisionist history because Kotkaniemi has disappointed.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
he doesn't strike me as slow. He'll need a few years to physically mature though, major lack of strength but nice hands. I think he's the Habs pick because I assume Demidov falling is a pipe dream and while I haven't seen any WHL games in a couple years, if Lindstrom is hyped as a possible Lindros then it seems unlikely he would make it to 5th OA.
The way I read the Lindros comparison was as stylistic only, not upside. If that were the case, he’d be the consensus first overall. I don’t know if I agree, necessarily, but I can see what the author was getting at.

Imo, a better comparison for Lindstrom is that he plays kind of like Todd Bertuzzi in the offensive zone. Not exactly though because his stick handling and hands are more of a standout attribute for him.

He’s a very unique player though because his hands and stick handling are exceptional, as is his ability to weave through traffic and dirty areas as a result of that and his frame and puck protection abilities and speed.

You could describe him as an elusive player too, especially in the neutral zone - he excels at zone entries and getting the puck to dangerous areas once in the offensive zone. He’s one of those “can stick handle in a phone booth” players. Combine that with his speed, frame, puck skills, and physicality, and I’m sure you can understand the appeal.

He also works hard defensively, is agressive in pursuit of the puck and wins board battles, using his frame and reach effectively. Really strong on his skates driving to the net and in the corners. He’s also really good in the dot. High compete and work ethic.

It seems like a lot of posters here, especially Habs fans, haven’t watched him and are skipping over him due to the injury rumours in favour of the flashiness of Demidov.

He plays a pro style game probably more so than any player in this draft, aside from Celebrini. That is in stark contrast to guys like Demidov, and especially Sennecke. He basically plays like how you’d hope Sennecke can one day - he’s already there. His shot is lethal too, again in contrast to Sennecke. I’d pick Lindstrom over any forward other than Celebrini in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What? Literally all of those skill assessments are different from what I have seen from this player. I don’t think he’s a future center, but he is very involved defensively and IQ is his best trait.

He plays a child's game and it is really hard to determine where his IQ is at until he tries to play with more structure. He is very poor defensively from what I have seen but that is something that can be fixed as long as his attitude is fine. If I was his coach I'd kick his ass (not literally of course, he is a child lol) for taking looping, lazy routes and for his poor body language at times.

Sennecke just seems very immature in many ways but there is no denying his puck skill and his new found size. Super interesting but risky prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad