Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That play Tavares made is so low percentage that most dmen in that situation is going to let it happen rather than get super aggressive and risk a penalty on a nothing play. 9/10 times a one handed shove of the puck towards the net is just giving up possession by the offensive player.

It should have been the exact same thing here if Mac and Coyle did their jobs.
Disagree completely. Got beat to the step. Took horrible angle. Then got over powered. If he’d done just one of those things correctly that puck doesn’t get to crease. At worst a puck gets centered to middle where 13 and 17 were. Shit, I bet even Tavares didn’t even think he’d get to crease. On that front I agree. Low percentage play that Gryz butchered.

And that’s not picking on him for one play. Two brutal turnovers to start game kept B’s pinned in own end for lengthy shifts. Putting B’s on heels and giving Toronto life is horrible way to start an elimination game. So unnecessary.

Babajingo

Disagree completely. Got beat to the step. Took horrible angle. Then got over powered. If he’d done just one of those things correctly that puck doesn’t get to crease. At worst a puck gets centered to middle where 13 and 17 were. Shit, I bet even Tavares didn’t even think he’d get to crease. On that front I agree. Low percentage play that Gryz butchered.

And that’s not picking on him for one play. Two brutal turnovers to start game kept B’s pinned in own end for lengthy shifts. Putting B’s on heels and giving Toronto life is horrible way to start an elimination game. So unnecessary.
He couldn't keep Tavares on the perimeter. Bottom line. If that was most D, Tavares would've been forced behind the net.
Tavares did the right thing. just get the puck in front of the net and sometimes good things happen. I guarantee that McAvoy thought Swayman had it. for some reason, it got past his (Swayman) stick. Not an excuse for McAvoy or anyone. But it started with a player that can't out muscle anyone.

Look up Messier, Gretzky, whoever. They all say the SC winners have big D that keep opposition in the perimeter. When they can't, and they get near the crease, they make them pay. Last time I checked, the B's have maybe two D like that in McAvoy and Carlo.

Reactions: Number8

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Griz is taking alot of heat for tonite Leafs OT goal.
--
While I would have appreciated him boxing Tavares, keeping him with more distance of the goal I've noted what follows:
- Thought lazy changes by 88 and 63.
- Alot of space in the neutral zone.
- Bad information taken by 73 and 13.
- Bad crease coverage by both 73 and 13
- Puck founded Knies......Swaymen misses the puck

Blaming only 48 on that goal is IMO easy.

Reactions: FU Shoresy

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
That last play he forces a one handed shove of the puck to the side of the net where 3 Bruins (Sway,Coyle,Mac) were waiting.

That’s one of the better outcomes on that specific play. He’s not going to body Tavares, he’s old but he’s still big. If he overcommits and attacks the puck while Tavares is holding it to the outside that’s a prime penalty call waiting to happen if Tavares flops. Or Tavares just spins on him .

There’s zero reason to be super aggressive on Tavares in that instance when you have a shit ton of support at the net.

Mac and Coyle puck watched and that’s the reason the puck ended up in the net

Pretty much. I do think you can criticize Gryz a little for this play. Best case scenario is Tavares is kept entirely to the outside and can't get the puck to the net at all. Worst case is he turns Gryz inside out completely and drives the net unmarked. What we got was middle ground - Tavares was able to cut partially inside and throw a soft puck into the crease. Avoidable, but at the same time, between Sway, McAvoy and Coyle, the Bruins should have been able to clean it up without too much trouble. They didn't and to me that's on the two Charlies more than anybody else.

But beyond that, the more general and important point is it was a 1-1 game. The defense did its basic job, albeit with a big assist from Swayman, and kept the Leafs' scoring to an absolute minimum. But the Bruins were mostly horrible with the puck themselves, and even so they still manufactured 14 high danger chances to the Leafs' 5, including 8 in the 3rd period, but couldn't buy a goal. That's where the game was lost, and the responsibility for that is collective. The final play, however you evaluate it, is only possible and decisive because Boston couldn't take care of business at the other end despite having plenty of opportunity to do so.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Wow, this guy does not disappoint.
By now we should know what to expect from him, right?

Game 5 last year on ice for GWG in OT with his lazy skating after a dump in.
Game 5 this year on ice for GWG in OT he could not patrol a corpse of Tavares.

How much would it cost to extend him?
First pair LD, edge work marvel, sneaky first pass, deadly wrist shot.
Does he take a hometown discount at 6 x $6m with a full NMC/NTC?
If we extend him we get at least to game 5 in the 1st round of the playoffs.
:sarcasm: :D :laugh:

Babajingo

Wow, this guy does not disappoint.
By now we should know what to expect from him, right?

Game 5 last year on ice for GWG in OT with his lazy skating after a dump in.
Game 5 this year on ice for GWG in OT he could not patrol a corpse of Tavares.

How much would it cost to extend him?
First pair LD, edge work marvel, sneaky first pass, deadly wrist shot.
Does he take a hometown discount at 6 x $6m with a full NMC/NTC?
If we extend him we get at least to game 5 in the 1st round of the playoffs.
:sarcasm: :D :laugh:
If Donny re-signs him, I'll need a straight jacket.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
That play Tavares made is so low percentage that most dmen in that situation is going to let it happen rather than get super aggressive and risk a penalty on a nothing play. 9/10 times a one handed shove of the puck towards the net is just giving up possession by the offensive player.

It should have been the exact same thing here if Mac and Coyle did their jobs.
Did 73and 13 not pick up the man coming late, no they did not ,so does some of the blame fall on them yes.

However if you watch this play develop from the blue line in there is simply no excuse for an NHL D-man allowing Tavares to drive to the net. This type of soft play we as Bruin fans have watched far to many times from Gryz.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You are spot on for the most part (it was Tavares, and Gryz had a very shaky start to the game) but a lot of fans here don’t understand the game so they’ll blame Gryz for the loss.
A lot of fans do understand the game and realize he sucks. Yes Coyle had a bad game as well and was a contributor to the OT goal but Grizz was once again outmuscled and exploited, as he has been so, so many times in the past.

Hopefully this is the last game he ever plays as a Bruin.

Once again the Grizz fan club will defend him until the end, pointing out the subtle little plays he makes that are "so good" while he gets pushed off pucks, run over, and continues to be a liability, especially in the playoffs.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If Donny re-signs him, I'll need a straight jacket.
They blow another 3-1 lead Monty and Grizz might not be the only ones looking for a job. But we know Sweens does the most important job in Delaware North, a couple playoff gates and concessions.

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
It should be noted that McAvoy was caught puck watching simply BECAUSE he was on the ice with Grzelcyk. He knows he can’t trust Grizz to make the correct play in that kind of situation and that he has to overcompensate toward Grizz’s side of the ice in case he gets beat on another soft play. Sure enough, Grizz not only gets walked by Tavares, but then also allows the puck to ricochet off his own skates directly out in front of the crease. Grzelcyk’s weakness affects how everyone else on the ice with him has to play, and makes each of them look worse as individuals because of it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A lot of fans do understand the game and realize he sucks. Yes Coyle had a bad game as well and was a contributor to the OT goal but Grizz was once again outmuscled and exploited, as he has been so, so many times in the past.

Hopefully this is the last game he ever plays as a Bruin.

Once again the Grizz fan club will defend him until the end, pointing out the subtle little plays he makes that are "so good" while he gets pushed off pucks, run over, and continues to be a liability, especially in the playoffs.

I'm fine if I never see Gryz again in a Bruins uniform. I'm no fan. But the winning goal had nothing to do with being outmuscled. He gets his hip in on Tavares, keeps him outside and prevents him cutting across on his forehand which is what Tavares is really trying to do.

The issue is Gryz just doesn't have the reach/length to cut off the one-handed pass back through the slot.

Then the Charlie's got caught puck-watching (look where their eyes are at the 5 second mark) and simply don't pick up Knies coming in the backdoor.

If we are assigning blame it's 90% on the Charlie's and 10% on Gryz.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
It should be noted that McAvoy was caught puck watching simply BECAUSE he was on the ice with Grzelcyk. He knows he can’t trust Grizz to make the correct play in that kind of situation and that he has to overcompensate toward Grizz’s side of the ice in case he gets beat on another soft play. Sure enough, Grizz not only gets walked by Tavares, but then also allows the puck to ricochet off his own skates directly out in front of the crease. Grzelcyk’s weakness affects how everyone else on the ice with him has to play, and makes each of them look worse as individuals because of it.
McAvoy hasn't been great this series, but the Bruins need to find him a better partner than Matt Friggin' Grzelcyk. Imagine Chara having a Grzelcyk type partner in 2011 instead of Seidenberg (who was even playing his off-side)...

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I thought this was one of his best games of the year. I’m guessing that will be a very unpopular opinion, but his first passes were great. He is not at fault at all for the ot goal, that blame is shared equally by Coyle and Mcavoy. He kept Domi from getting directly to the net and was able to keep Domi from being anywhere near the net after his drive. I really don’t understand how anybody can watch him today and have a problem with him.
It is not his ability to play the game but, his ability to physically play the game and sorry to say for him that is playoff hockey.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Thought he calmed down and played pretty well after an abysmal start, but had an equally abysmal end

Carlo and Lindholm were also horrific. All three need to clean it up - travesty and a testament to Sway that we only gave up 1 goal in regulation. McAvoy was also way too slow in OT.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm fine if I never see Gryz again in a Bruins uniform. I'm no fan. But the winning goal had nothing to do with being outmuscled. He gets his hip in on Tavares, keeps him outside and prevents him cutting across on his forehand which is what Tavares is really trying to do.

The issue is Gryz just doesn't have the reach/length to cut off the one-handed pass back through the slot.

Then the Charlie's got caught puck-watching (look where their eyes are at the 5 second mark) and simply don't pick up Knies coming in the backdoor.

If we are assigning blame it's 90% on the Charlie's and 10% on Gryz.

If you think Gryz didn't take the wrong angle immediately - and thereby put himself in a position where he had no choice but to try and outmuscle Tavares -- then we have to agree to disagree. Tavares got the jump on him to boot - augmenting the initial error.

I like Gryz - he's a nice kid and during the regular season is a fairly reliable guy with subtle parts of his game (he's very good at using the poke check to deny smooth access to our blue line) that are very good.

However, he has shown us again and again that he can't withstand either the physicality or pressure of PO forecheck. And that's not on him -- it is what it is. It's on Jim Montgomery for deciding to screw with a winning lineup. Again.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Thought he calmed down and played pretty well after an abysmal start, but had an equally abysmal end

Carlo and Lindholm were also horrific. All three need to clean it up - travesty and a testament to Sway that we only gave up 1 goal in regulation. McAvoy was also way too slow in OT.
I ask myself what happened. How did Carlo and Lindholm suddenly look so pedestrian?

The only answer I have is that we had a bunch of guys who were playing in the right combinations on the right side of the ice for them. The result was a fairly disciplined D zone that pretty regularly moved the puck up and out for four games.

Enter the smartest boy in the class!!! Had to change the ingredients of what was already a very good sandwich. I don't know about you -- but the result of his having to play with the recipe has given me a case of Austin Matthew's Belly.

By the way - on that point - Montgomery has given Matthews another few days to get over whatever he is dealing with.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That was awful defensive play by Gryzelcyk in OT. Defense 101, and he failed the test. Look, everyone gets beat once in a while by a power rush to the outside by guys like Mackinnon and McDavid, but Tavares?

He did not keep his body in between JT and the net...that's all he had to do. He took a bad angle, and seemed slow to react, even though his job was obvious, and routine.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you think Gryz didn't take the wrong angle immediately

Never said that. I said he wasn't outmuscled. You're right, he's a half second late pivoting towards Tavares and that had an impact on the play. If he pivots at the right time, he's more in front of Tavares and maybe be diffuses the pass across. But it has nothing to do with Tavares outmuscling him or whatever.

Bottom line is that play is on the two Bruins focused on the puck. If I was the D-man in that situation and the coach tried to pin the majority or all of the blame on me, I'd tell him to go ^^%&& himself.

That was awful defensive play by Gryzelcyk in OT. Defense 101, and he failed the test. Look, everyone gets beat once in a while by a power rush to the outside by guys like Mackinnon and McDavid, but Tavares?

He did not keep his body in between JT and the net...that's all he had to do. He took a bad angle, and seemed slow to react, even though his job was obvious, and routine.

Would you post the video where Tavares beats Gryz inside and cuts across the front of the net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad