Rumor: Matvei Michkov terminates his contract with SKA and continues his career in Philadelphia

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
For us flyer fans, name the 1 thing as to why we are a bubble playoff team. The flyers are lacking skill, badly

Reactions: Fatass

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
For us flyer fans, name the 1 thing as to why we are a bubble playoff team. The flyers are lacking skill, badly
I’ll go with a few:
Losing starting goalie Hart
Losing top prospect Gauthier
Losing 2nd oa pick Patrick
Losing Lindblom to cancer
Losing steady dman Ryan Ellis after 4 games

Wasting many mid 1st rounders Morin, Rubstov, O’Brien in a 5 yr span. They would be at their prime today.

GMs made terrible trades-signings DeAngelo, Ghost, Ristolainen, Hayes, Bryzgalov (Bobrovsky).

Not many teams had their signed prospect goalie kidnapped or lost good dman (Niskanen) to fear of Covid while Gudas is still contributing.

There are more:
Having to play 8 goalies in 2019
Couturier’s back surgery
Keith Yandle!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Prior to the draft I hyped this kid up as being a 1b to Bedard 1a. A year out, my Habs didn't draft him.....I hope I'm wrong. Not to necessarily root against the Phillys, but I dodnt want to hear anymore Rein vs Michkov debates in Habland.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Prior to the draft I hyped this kid up as being a 1b to Bedard 1a. A year out, my Habs didn't draft him.....I hope I'm wrong. Not to necessarily root against the Phillys, but I dodnt want to hear anymore Rein vs Michkov debates in Habland.
Sorry, who is debating? It’s clear as day that Michkov was, is, and will be the significantly better player.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm immediately reminded that Arizona passed on him for Russian fear, only to draft Simashev and But lol.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Exciting news. Flyers need a centre to play with him but I don't necessarily think they need to rush to get one. Scout the best fit and go for that player, either through the draft or trade. I don't think it's the end of the world if he isn't playing with his long-term centre this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Wasn't the main reason not to draft him that he was going to be in Russia for a few years?
Yep.
Also Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson all great C prospects.
Smith maybe a lower tier.
5 was lowest he was going. Then Mtl and Ariz went d shopping. Wingers next with Leonard great prospect too.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Curious to see how he meshes with Tortarella. I think a lot of people think they won’t work well together but I have a hunch that it’ll actually be the opposite!

Either way, michkov is probably going to have a long career, and tort's reign is probably going to be the tip of the iceberg when all is said and done.

Yep.
Also Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson all great C prospects.
Smith maybe a lower tier.
5 was lowest he was going. Then Mtl and Ariz went d shopping. Wingers next with Leonard great prospect too.

I think the flyers were pretty confident they would get him at 7. The talk about the flyers moving up to 5 at the time actually seemed to revolve around reinbacher.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Either way, michkov is probably going to have a long career, and tort's reign is probably going to be the tip of the iceberg when all is said and done.

I think the flyers were pretty confident they would get him at 7. The talk about the flyers moving up to 5 at the time actually seemed to revolve around reinbacher.
You mean Flyers wanted Reinbacher enough to pay up to go to 5?
Very hard to believe.
Even Arizona wanting Reinbacher badly is.

Guy was ranked like 11th.

I’d like the Reinbacher pick if it came say at 7 with a nice + like it was heavily discussed in here days before the draft: Gauthier or Foerster + 7th for 5th so Philly would get MM, not DR.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You mean Flyers wanted Reinbacher enough to pay up to go to 5?
Very hard to believe.
Even Arizona wanting Reinbacher badly is.

Guy was ranked like 11th.

I’d like the Reinbacher pick if it came say at 7 with a nice + like it was heavily discussed in here days before the draft: Gauthier or Foerster + 7th for 5th so Philly would get MM, not DR.
I think the proposed end game was that they would end up with both players at 5 and 7.

I think Gauthier was rumored to be involved.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Surprised if they they let him leave early tbh. Hope he will make it here next season, but very much in doubt.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
looking dumber and dumber to pass on him as time goes by
I wouldn't sweat it. Hindsight is 20/20 and there were 4 other teams who weren't willing to wait and/or couldn't even speak to the kid. Flyers had a different situation. NTM it's not like Reinbacher is some bum. He's a good player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton are sweating bullets upon hearing this news.

Honestly, I don't think his contract was the the only reason why we didn't take Michkov.

Surprised if they they let him leave early tbh. Hope he will make it here next season, but very much in doubt.

Michkov didn't even play for SKA that much. They had him on load to HK Sochi.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
If a given team had reason to believe Michkov wouldn't play for them, that's one thing obviously. But if teams were truly passing because they didn't want to wait 3 years then that's straight up malfeasance. Getting him at 21 on an ELC should have been seen as almost a bonus for these teams that were years away from contention windows anyway.

I suspect job protection may have played a role. GM(s) afraid they may not have a job in 3 years when he'd be coming over.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad