Messier vs McDavid

Who do you think is/was the "better player"? (Define better anyway you want)

• Old goat choosing Mark Messier

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • Old goat choosing Connor McDavid

Votes: 42 29.4%
  • Mark Messier

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Connor McDavid

Votes: 80 55.9%

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Can't do it. For me, thee far better comparison is Messier to Draisaitl. Much more compatable players. 1B's to the alpha. Gretz came in and showed the way from the beginning. Mess was a rambunctious teen who needed some serious steering in the early years, if I recall. Gretz was mature far beyond his tender years. Groomed to be the best from the very start. Same with McDavid. Now, as time went on, Messier found his place and he rose up to take his proper standing as one of the all time greats. Same with Drai. You could see he had all the skills, but we had to wait 2-3 years before it all clicked in.

Reactions: Messrules11

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
McDavid is easily the best player of this generation, definitely more offensively gifted. Messier was maybe top 5-10 player of his time, better all-around player, perhaps.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Old goat - watched the BotB as a teen/20something in real time, in their prime. Mcdavid AINEC. Messier had grit, tenacity, and determination like no one else, and he captured the imaginations of several generations of Oil fans, but we also tend to idealize and romanticize the BotB beyond all reason and ignore their flaws. Mess is probably my favorite ever, but Mcdavid is simply a better player on nearly every level - and that’s not a slight to Moose in any way. It just is what it is. We’re so incredibly fortunate to witness - again - a truly (multi)generational talent in his prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoneman89

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
The only player in NHL history to captain 2 teams to a championship. Only one.
Sure, generally speaking, judging a player solely on team accomplishments is silly, but to captain the ship, on 2 different teams, one of them Gretzky-less, is an omnipotent achievement.
I think this particular accolade is more a quirky circumstance.

A few players like Niedermayer (won as A in NJ and C in ANA) were close but just a circumstance of Stevens wearing the C.

But it involves typically a good talent that is a team leader that requires that player to then be moved to a team that will then make that player a Captain because they are still seen as a dominating presence in the locker room. We saw Messier as quick captain of Canucks too.

Messier (and even Gretzky who was also close) and Niedermayer were also moved as a result of circumstance. Oilers and finances and losing their best players... Scott because of salary cap shake up and so forth.

Messier is an all time great, but I don't think it's all that shocking how many former Oilers both he and also Gretzky had on their teams when they were making their deep playoff runs as well.

Reactions: rec28

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
As much as I love Connor & Leon I picked Messier (old goat edition)

The only fair comparison will be after Connor retires and we can judge both complete careers.

Messier played well into his 40's, producing >40 point seasons as a 42 & 43 year old. His determination, leadership, will, and durability is unrivaled.
  • 6 Cups (2 without Wayner)
  • 2 Harts
  • 2 Pearsons
  • 1 Conn Smyth (while playing WITH Wayner)
  • 6 100+ point seasons, topping out at 129 Points (age 29)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad