Michkov vs Demidov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's an interesting situation that we have two best Russian prospects since probably Kaprizov at the very least in the next two drafts. It's even more interesting that Michkov and Demidov are both right wingers and absolutely different stylistically players.

Demidov is bigger, better skater and probably even better stickhandler (still questionable, but he stickhandles really well), but Michkov still scores twice as many goals as Ivan. Yeah, his shot is better, but Demidov's one isn't that bad at all, it's actually very good. So why has Michkov outscored him so much?

Let's take a very simple (or not that simple) example, zone entrance. When Michkov enters the opponents zone, by his body languge it's obvious that he's already calculating his next moves and what way the game is gonna develop overall. When Demidov enters the zone, it's like "I'm gonna outstickhandle these guys, and then my linemates come and we'll do some cool things together".

Yeah, Demidov usually outstickhandles those guys alright, and then his linemates come and they do cool things together... or not. And with Michkov if his linemates understands him the right way, it usually ends up with his goals. That's how the difference in IQ levels works.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
It's an interesting situation that we have two best Russian prospects since probably Kaprizov at the very least in the next two drafts. It's even more interesting that Michkov and Demidov are both right wingers and absolutely different stylistically players.

Demidov is bigger, better skater and probably even better stickhandler (still questionable, but he stickhandles really well), but Michkov still scores twice as many goals as Ivan. Yeah, his shot is better, but Demidov's one isn't that bad at all, it's actually very good. So why has Michkov outscored him so much?

Let's take a very simple (or not that simple) example, zone entrance. When Michkov enters the opponents zone, by his body languge it's obvious that he's already calculating his next moves and what way the game is gonna develop overall. When Demidov enters the zone, it's like "I'm gonna outstickhandle these guys, and then my linemates come and we'll do some cool things together".

Yeah, Demidov usually outstickhandles those guys alright, and then his linemates come and they do cool things together... or not. And with Michkov if his linemates understands him the right way, it usually ends up with his goals. That's how the difference in IQ levels works.
Michkov is on another level… that is as if we say Fantili is better than Bedard because he is bigger and a faster skater…

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Demidov may rely too much on being able to simply out-talent guys right now but boy is it fun. He’s so smooth and confident and there’s a calmness to how easily he makes high-difficulty plays look.

Not saying he’s better than Michkov…I trust others to make that comp. But I have all day to watch Demidov highlights.

For those who are plugged in - is there a path for Demidov to be a center (eventually) or have we just been running with an early narrative that is simply factually incorrect and he’s yet another uber-talented natural winger?

Reactions: User9992

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Demidov may rely too much on being able to simply out-talent guys right now but boy is it fun. He’s so smooth and confident and there’s a calmness to how easily he makes high-difficulty plays look.

Not saying he’s better than Michkov…I trust others to make that comp. But I have all day to watch Demidov highlights.

For those who are plugged in - is there a path for Demidov to be a center (eventually) or have we just been running with an early narrative that is simply factually incorrect and he’s yet another uber-talented natural winger?

He plays center position sometimes but naturally he's a winger. At least right now.

Reactions: BKarchitect

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Michkov is still the guy who scored a million goals at the Under-18s and was pacing to do something similar at the Under-20s before it got cancelled.

He has done nothing since then that should change the perception as he put up good production in the second best league in the world. It feels like his (re: Russia’s) absence has kinda made people sour on him while he’s been “away” in the sense of not playing in IIHF events but I think people are overthinking it a bit. More and more I’m seeing this idea that he is a bad skater which appears to have come out of nowhere.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Love both, but Michkov seems to have that knack for creating and capitalizing on scoring chances that few have. There's a reason he's set the mark at every level in goals and points since he was 15.

Demidov is also elite and will do great things, but it's hard not to choose Michkov at this point. Thoughts?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Yea well put, Michkov IQ is just unmatched, Demidov's raw skills and physical profile are more impressive but Michkov just processes the game at such a high level.

And I think Demidov is probably the top dog in 2023 at the moment
Demi is 3rd behind Eiserman and Celebrini.

And as far as "better skater" that's debatable, Demi is faster, sure, but Michkov is flawless with his edges and has great first step acceleration. I'll give edge to Demi.

Stick handling/puck control without a doubt goes to Michkov. Overall it's Michkov by a mile.

Hah, should have made a poll. Demidov, all the way. Come to think of it, scratch poll. I doubt anyone here saw Demidov play.
So... because you're wrong and no one agrees with you, "I doubt anyone but me has watched Demidov play".

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Demidov is at least on par with Michkov as a stickhandler. The kid will be the best stickhandler in the NHL, mark my words. But stickhandling isn't everything in hockey, otherwise Kovalev would be the best player ever...

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
In another thread a poster wrote something to the effect of: The difference between Michkov and Demidov is, Michkov enters the zone, beats the defender, gets in on the goalie and scores. Demidov enters the zone, beats the defender, gets in on the goalie and the goalie makes the save.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Kind of reminds me of a smaller version of Ovi v Malkin. Demidov carries the puck more and dangles around more, but Ovi was always able to score more goals and be THE MAN on his team. Just my gut opinion, both are awesome

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
k-280eREowg.jpg

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Demidov is at least on par with Michkov as a stickhandler. The kid will be the best stickhandler in the NHL, mark my words. But stickhandling isn't everything in hockey, otherwise Kovalev would be the best player ever...
No and no

he is. reminds me of Malkin stylistically. also Michkov is selfish to the point of lookng ridiculous sometimes.
He's not even remotely close the playmaker Michkov is. Have you even watched these guys play? At this point I think you're intentionally trolling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad