Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah obviously trading Marner opens up a ton of possibilities cap wise -- the question is -- can they find the right fit?

Seattle would probably a good team to "target" with a Marner trade, but we have to remember, he may not be all that interested in going there.

This isn't me saying that Marner is going to hold the Leafs hostage, but the 2-3 teams he picks might not have that "ideal defensive upgrade" available.
All good points. The nice thing is we don't have to move him. The right deal or no deal. It's not a dump and team will want him.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
pretty much this...Marner is not the 'main' problem (or even a top problem), it's Keefe and a defense that has no true #1, and a bunch of 4-6 D-men.

Fire Keefe, and use all the free $$ to rebuild the Defense and the Leafs are a much better team.

The only person i can see being asked to waive their NMC would be JT, and that would likely be, only, to go back to the Isles (Isles fans would go batty though) for one of their Defenders
Leafs lose in the playoffs because the big contracts don't score. Marner is the least of the offensive worries. Overall defense and goaltending has been good (outside Samsonov).

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The challenge is, there's really not a lot of it. Sure, they've got $18m to spend, but they've got some pretty important roles to fill including at least 2 Top 4 defencemen, a top 6 forward, 3rd line C, and goaltender.

There's also the whole "definition of insantiy" thing -- trying the same thing over and over expecting differnt results.

Seems like Domi has probably earned himself a contract exptension. If they run it back with the same core, you're basically looking at the same team as this year with the following changes:
Tyler Bertuzzi becomes Easton Cowan
Ilya Lyubushkin & TJ Brodie becomes a $5-6m incoming defenceman & a league minimum guy.
Ilya Samsonov becomes another ~$4m goalie.
Don't see them spending 4 million on a goalie. Something in the 2 million range.

16 million left to spend they have 10 forwards signed with 3 RFA forwards(approx. 4 million) and probably 2 rookies in the forwarded mix. 4 Defenceman signed with 1 RFA to sign. I would not be surprised at all if they decided to sign the RFA forwards give Knies, Mcmann and Robertson a shot at the top 2 Left Wing spots and wait until the trade deadline to fill a hoe via a trade.

On the blueline I can see them resigning Edmondson (2.5mil)to play with Lilijgren(2.5 mil) and signing a RHS defenceman for 5/6 million to play with Rielly. Then some league minimum as depth.
Not a perfect lineup but it was always going to take the Tavares contract to end before they could really clean this up. I would not be surprised if they even had a some cap space left at the start of next season 1/2 million.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There are still teams that are dreaming about playing in playoffs not winning, Marner is an ideal player for them.
Except he's not. Not with 1 x year remaining and 11M. That 11M is better spent elsewhere. I don't understand why any team would pay him 11M just to be a regular season performer.

Marner just tanked his value in this series.

Reactions: Kalv

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Gaining a player like Marner is a double-edged sword.

He'll make you win games when they don't matter and disappears when they do matter.

Sounds like he'd fit right in Montreal, Ottawa, or Arizona - 3 try hard teams that do their best to win meaningless games once they've lost the season. I hope Montreal stays far, far away.

Reactions: waitin425

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Gaining a player like Marner is a double-edged sword.

He'll make you win games when they don't matter and disappears when they do matter.

Sounds like he'd fit right in Montreal, Ottawa, or Arizona - 3 try hard teams that do their best to win meaningless games once they've lost the season. I hope Montreal stays far, far away.
Why would Montreal trade for a rental??? lol

Marner is exactly the type of player you do not pay 11M. And now, he will want 12+ on his next contract.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Except he's not. Not with 1 x year remaining and 11M. That 11M is better spent elsewhere. I don't understand why any team would pay him 11M just to be a regular season performer.

As far as I understand Utah does have a lot of cap space so 11M for one season isn't a problem for them, and Marner can really help them in the regular. The question is will Marner agree to go to Utah with his full NMC...

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
giphy.gif

Teams aren't going to lineup to hand Leafs that package for Marner at this point

Also fitting his extension limits market even more as does his NMC

People say crap like this about top players all the time, and yet it never happens that way.

I am guaranteeing you, based on everything we've ever seen in NHL history regarding top players being traded, that a Marner trade brings back a top prospect and two 1sts minimum. I get that you personally don't think he's worth this, but Marner is a 100 pt pace player and Selke finalist who is young. Teams will talk themselves into their "culture" being the right fit for him. Especially if any Toronto retains the max amount, which, why wouldn't they with a year left on the deal?

Please re-visit this reply once Marner is traded, I'm literally begging you.

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
People say crap like this about top players all the time, and yet it never happens that way.

I am guaranteeing you, based on everything we've ever seen in NHL history regarding top players with term being traded, that a Marner trade brings back a top prospect and two 1sts minimum. I get that you personally don't think he's worth this, but Marner is a 100 pt pace player and Selke finalist who is young. Teams will talk themselves into their "culture" being the right fit for him. Especially if any money is retained.

Please re-visit this reply once Marner is traded, I'm literally begging you.
You're most likely right, but whoever pays that is going to sorely regret it. Marner is a mirage. Regular season beast, playoff season bust.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
As far as I understand Utah does have a lot of cap space so 11M for one season isn't a problem for them, and Marner can really help them in the regular. The question is will Marner agree to go to Utah with his full NMC...
They may be interested so long as nothing of value goes in return. Marner is not worth 11M and is a rental.

Doubt he waives his NMC. He is nice and comfy in TO where no one is held to account.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY

If Toronto trades Marner, they're likely retaining 50% in order to maximize the return. They could do the same with Tavares, free up $11m in cap space by the draft, replace both players with upgrades while getting back max return, and only need to carry the additional $11m in dead contract weight for 1 season.

Especially if Toronto decides on a one season re-tool, this would be the ideal move and a BUNCH of teams would be fighting each other to get their hands on either player at 50%. And if Toronto approached both guys and said "Look, we're not re-signing you. Can you wave your NMC so we can get a nice return, and you get the opportunity to chase a Cup and possibly preview a team you might want to sign with?", why on earth would either player say no? It works out for everyone.

Reactions: kihei

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If Toronto trades Marner, they're likely retaining 50% in order to maximize the return. They could do the same with Tavares, free up $11m in cap space by the draft, replace both players with upgrades while getting back max return, and only need to carry the additional $11m in dead contract weight for 1 season.

Especially if Toronto decides on a one season re-tool, this would be the ideal move and a BUNCH of teams would be fighting each other to get their hands on either player at 50%. And if Toronto approached both guys and said "Look, we're not re-signing you. Can you wave your NMC so we can get a nice return, and you get the opportunity to chase a Cup and possibly preview a team you might want to sign with?", why on earth would either player say no? It works out for everyone.
Because they have NMCs. They negotiated those for a reason. There is no way Tavares waives his in particular. They want to win in Toronto. They BeLeaf!

Reactions: BB88

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Marner retained (50 percent retained) for 2025 first, Jack Campbell (25 percent retained) Cody Ceci and Dylan Holloway.
Gives you an awesome young player in Holloway, a familiar and decent RH shot Dman and a familiar Goal tender. Then there is a extra pick to put in the pocket. :)

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad