Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's insane to me that you've (presumably) watched this series, seen how AWFUL that blueline is at transitioning the puck up the ice, and conclude that moving Rielly would be beneficial.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - Mo and Matthews are the 2 untouchables; everyone else is fair game.
I lean more to this line of thinking but still think we need a true stud on D and if it costs us Rielly, then so be it.....and I like Mo.

Reactions: Tak7

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Kipper basically confirmed what I said and saw on x/twitter. Matthews was upset with Nylander because he and Marner wanted to run a specific set play off the faceoff for the PP and Nylander didn’t do something so the play didn’t work. Nylander tells Matthews to shut up and just shoot the puck it isn’t juniors. Insinuating that whatever play matthews and Marner wanted would work in juniors but not the NHL.

Has nothing to do with Marner falling and complaining to the refs. We need to stop chasing dumb narratives off a 30 second clip

@FerrisRox

They mention a few points that I've mentioned in the past:

Our top paid guys don't have the grit and determination that other top players have, McDavid and Mackinnon.

I agree with Marner and Nylander however, i dont agree that Matthews isnt willing to play phyaical. He has been leading this team in playoff hits until his illness in game 3. Also, all his points in past series has been generally him literally physically and offensively doing everything, hes just not getting help. Look at these two plays vs Tampa:

1) Matthews flattens McDonagh on the forecheck and while falling tips the loose puck to Marner for a 2 vs 1 and Bunting scores.

2) Matthews backchecks hard, hits Tampa player in neutral zone, the puck squirts loose and Bunting dishes it to Marner, whose standing in open ice, then goes on a 2vs 1 with Matthews and Matthew's scores.

On both these plays Marner is just waiting in open space while his linemates do the physical work for him. Where are the plays where 11 million Marner has don't the same for his linemates?

Here is one of Marners 3 goals from shots from the point in 2023 playoffs. You can see the camera starts with him getting off the ice (seems he can never stay on his feet near the oppositions goalie), and then he proceeds to operate in open space, and takes a wrist shot from the blueline. Whose in front of the goaltender providing a screen, Ryan Oreilly. Does Bob stop this wrist shot without a screen? Yes more than likely. Where are the times that Marner is doing the screen? We saw Marner briefly stand in front of the goalie last game and as usual collapsed to the ice the minute a breeze hit him.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see Marner’s NMC as an insurmountable obstacle to moving him. We’ve seen over the last few years how agitated he has become over what he feels has been unfair criticism from fans and media alike.

Now imagine the Leafs are unceremoniously expelled from the playoffs tomorrow night, and let’s imagine further that a large part of the showing is due to a pathetic performance from Marner in particular.

At that point, all Treliving (and perhaps Pelley) has to do is sit him down and calmly tell him that he believes it’s in everyone’s best interest for him to move on. And possibly allude to the vitriol that is certainly headed his way from fans and media, due largely in part to the raise he’ll undoubtedly be seeking mere months after what we’ve all witnessed over the last four games in particular, and that it will almost certainly be unlike anything he’s experienced thus far.

Marner can be persuaded to waive his clause. And if done correctly, I don’t believe it will be particularly difficult to accomplish either.
There was an ex-NHL'er on the radio yesterday saying that if there is only 1yr left on his deal and if management makes it clear they don't intend to offer him a contract...he said the player would move on without too much fuss. He said if you know you are not wanted on the team...you try and pick a city you might want to give a test drive for a 1yr before committing....very few guys would try and stick it out here in unwanted...especially if your going to have a new home in a year anyways.

Lets hope he is correct in his assumption.

Reactions: ashs and Anthrax442

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I think Columbus could still be a viable destination for Marner.

They were the team who was serious about offer sheeting him so Marner already knows they would pay up to keep him.

Plus there's the London Knights connection with Basil McRae leaving for Columbus in 2016 (which was also Marner's last year in junior). It might even end up being a double London Knights connection if the rumours are true that they will hire Mark Hunter as their next GM.

Then there's always the usual teams that get brought up like the 6 teams in no-income tax states (Vegas/Seattle/Tampa/Florida/Dallas/Nashville) and the 3 division rivals in close proximity to Toronto (Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit).

There could actually be a lot of viable destinations for Marner depending on how willing he is to get outta town after another impending playoff failure.
Problem is...the GM who was talking to Ferris about the offer sheet for Mitchy got fired...so I doubt they have any interest in him anymore.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I lean more to this line of thinking but still think we need a true stud on D and if it costs us Rielly, then so be it.....and I like Mo.
Does trading Rielly get you someone better than Rielly?

Or, does trading one of the core for that legit #1D (that never get traded...), adding that stud to a team that already has Rielly, and going from there not make more sense?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Problem is...the GM who was talking to Ferris about the offer sheet for Mitchy got fired...so I doubt they have any interest in him anymore.
You think if they hired Mark Hunter as their GM they would lose interest in Marner? The same Mark Hunter who left London came to the Leafs and drafted Marner himself?

Basil McRae is still there too as one of their assistant GMs, same position he had during the offseason they tried to offer sheet Marner.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
They mention a few points that I've mentioned in the past:

Our top paid guys don't have the grit and determination that other top players have, McDavid and Mackinnon.

I agree with Marner and Nylander however, i dont agree that Matthews isnt willing to play phyaical. He has been leading this team in playoff hits until his illness in game 3. Also, all his points in past series has been generally him literally physically and offensively doing everything, hes just not getting help. Look at these two plays vs Tampa:

1) Matthews flattens McDonagh on the forecheck and while falling tips the loose puck to Marner for a 2 vs 1 and Bunting scores.

2) Matthews backchecks hard, hits Tampa player in neutral zone, the puck squirts loose and Bunting dishes it to Marner, whose standing in open ice, then goes on a 2vs 1 with Matthews and Matthew's scores.

On both these plays Marner is just waiting in open space while his linemates do the physical work for him. Where are the plays where 11 million Marner has don't the same for his linemates?

Here is one of Marners 3 goals from shots from the point in 2023 playoffs. You can see the camera starts with him getting off the ice (seems he can never stay on his feet near the oppositions goalie), and then he proceeds to operate in open space, and takes a wrist shot from the blueline. Whose in front of the goaltender providing a screen, Ryan Oreilly. Does Bob stop this wrist shot without a screen? Yes more than likely. Where are the times that Marner is doing the screen? We saw Marner briefly stand in front of the goalie last game and as usual collapsed to the ice the minute a breeze hit him.

I agree I think Matthews showed he can play physical playoff hockey.

Reactions: Antropovsky

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

We should be able to keep him and sign another one. 15 million is cap space without Klingberg, Reaves, Domi and Bertuzzi, could get another 2 solid defensemen for that

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If there was ever a night for Mitch to come out and have the night of his life it's tonight.

Come on Mitch just imagine how satisfying it would be to shut everyone up.

Reactions: sunstersun

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It would’ve been a gamble for sure, and Marner was definitely asking for more than he was currently worth at the time

8.5 back in 18-19 on a 79.5 cap was 10.7% but he ended up getting 13.4%

I’d rather we have him 8.5 as it wouldn’t be the first time a team bet on a player, but it is clear that his current contract is something that will never happen again.
I think at the end, it will be the same cap hit from the Leafs. Like if Dubas gave MM 8.5mil, he has to give Willie the same as their stats were pretty much identical at that time.
So 17mil total. Where as it is 17.8mil now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The most likely if traded to land MM is Caps and Hawks.
Caps bc MM can actually get Ovie the record next year. But don’t know who are coming back.
Hawks bc they want to create buzz plus they can offer Jones(not that I want Jones).

Reactions: Gallagbi

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is hindsight though. As MM didn’t even hit 70pts at that time and Willie was unsigned.
8.5mil was Drai’s money and he got that bc he was dominant in the playoffs.

Well that’s what happens when you gamble on RFA’s and allow them to bet on themselves. If they are good players you’re gonna get burned. I love how people are saying you can’t give him that contract back then. But Ottawa and other teams have been praised for locking up their young RFAs to long term 8 year deals.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's insane to me that you've (presumably) watched this series, seen how AWFUL that blueline is at transitioning the puck up the ice, and conclude that moving Rielly would be beneficial.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - Mo and Matthews are the 2 untouchables; everyone else is fair game.

Rielly hasn’t been a net plus in the transition game this series, hasn’t been good since he came back from suspension.

He can’t transition dynamically within a structured team system. He’s awful bringing the puck up on the PP, deferring to Matthews and Marner and Nylander with his slow profession only to drop pass. He’s terrible on the PPQB at the point, failing to be able to distribute it clean to either side of the ice. His skating looks bad and hobbled up. His off speed game is awkward and doesn’t control pace, just throws everything out of rhythm.

All he’s good at these days is an impromptu Lone Ranger rush like he’s just instinctively doing his own thing. Or he joins the rush. And he can’t shoot the puck.

When he’s out, we don’t miss him. And when he’s in, I’m not sure his offensive contribution covers his sloppy defensive work and terrible 2 on 1 coverage.

I don’t know if he’s severely injured but the quality of his game is quite poor. And the lapses in concentration are noticeable.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

Doesn't this make nylander untouchable. He's the best puck mover / skater on the team

Reactions: aingefan

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well that’s what happens when you gamble on RFA’s and allow them to bet on themselves. If they are good players you’re gonna get burned. I love how people are saying you can’t give him that contract back then. But Ottawa and other teams have been praised for locking up their young RFAs to long term 8 year deals.
I explained it on another post. At the end, Leafs will end up paying the same as Willie was not sign yet and his numbers were pretty much identical with MM at that time.
Their hypothetical contracts will be 17mil total while they actually got 17.89 mil.
Not a difference at all.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Rielly hasn’t been a net plus in the transition game this series, hasn’t been good since he came back from suspension.

He can’t transition dynamically within a structured team system. He’s awful bringing the puck up on the PP, deferring to Matthews and Marner and Nylander with his slow profession only to drop pass. He’s terrible on the PPQB at the point, failing to be able to distribute it clean to either side of the ice. His skating looks bad and hobbled up. His off speed game is awkward and doesn’t control pace, just throws everything out of rhythm.

All he’s good at these days is an impromptu Lone Ranger rush like he’s just instinctively doing his own thing. Or he joins the rush. And he can’t shoot the puck.

When he’s out, we don’t miss him. And when he’s in, I’m not sure his offensive contribution covers his sloppy defensive work and terrible 2 on 1 coverage.

I don’t know if he’s severely injured but the quality of his game is quite poor. And the lapses in concentration are noticeable.

He needs to be traded and put out with the rest of the "old core".

New blood!

Time to cut the cord on players like Reilly who have labored in blue and white since he got drafted.

Yeah, another NMC.

Leafs 2024/25

GLG

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Fairly certain he's playing injured as he looks a step slower. Regardless, he has still been on the ice for 4 goals scored and only 1 goal against at 5v5, controlling possession and playing 25 minutes a game and while making Lyubushkin also look good in the process. There is no other d-man on this roster performing at that level, which shows our overall sad state of affairs on defense.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fairly certain he's playing injured as he looks a step slower. Regardless, he has still been on the ice for 4 goals scored and only 1 goal against at 5v5, controlling possession and playing 25 minutes a game and while making Lyubushkin also look good in the process. There is no other d-man on this roster performing at that level, which shows our overall sad state of affairs on defense.
Reilly is the least of the problems

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He needs to be traded and put out with the rest of the "old core".

New blood!

Time to cut the cord on players like Reilly who have labored in blue and white since he got drafted.

Yeah, another NMC.

Leafs 2024/25

GLG
This is why players can’t give hometown discounts. From what a great team player to get rid of him . Lmao!

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad