Proposal: MTL 5OA to WSH for Ryan Leonard

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
BPA from 2-10 in this draft is largely depended on each teams draft board which will vary by a fair amount in this draft. Lots of D in that top 10 but there are lots of forwards who will be better than some of those D... when we look back in 3-5 years. :nod:

Teams do draft BPA (what they think on draft day). Real BPA just don't exist. This is a game of evaluating 15-18 year olds and trying to project who they will be from age 18-20+.. where most of the growth happens.

Popular BPA's exist though. What most think due to influential rankings on the net. Habs could have drafted BPA in Zadina (vs KK) but the real BPA was Tkachuk and pre-draft, nobody can say Tkachuk was the BPA at 3 that year. You can only say it today using hindsight
What I aways find fascinating is how people talk about BPA 10 months out of the year, but for 2 months before a draft, people almost only look at positional needs.... which are never a consideration when looking at a draft in hindsight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What I aways find fascinating is how people talk about BPA 10 months out of the year, but for 2 months before a draft, people almost only look at positional needs.... which are never a consideration when looking at a draft in hindsight.

It's because BPA changes as the draft year goes along. It's basically the timing of when you have to make your choice. Most fans/media predictions come with the latest flavor of the month influence.

The NHL draft is tough. Trying to evaluate 15-17/18 age ranges and project that forward. BPA is a moving target most often. Some fans know the BPA is a waive so then they look at need. Other fans have influenced BPA (flavor of the month) and think others are going off the board for need. It's a beautiful mess

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
It's because BPA changes as the draft year goes along. It's basically the timing of when you have to make your choice. Most fans/media predictions come with the latest flavor of the month influence.

The NHL draft is tough. Trying to evaluate 15-17/18 age ranges and project that forward. BPA is a moving target most often. Some fans know the BPA is a waive so then they look at need. Other fans have influenced BPA (flavor of the month) and think others are going off the board for need. It's a beautiful mess
There's also pure subjective opinion. A list of the best current nhlers wouldn't be unanimous, either.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I like this player a lot. I think he is going to be a beast. Purely hypothetical here but would MTL 5th OA ++ be enough to entice WSH to trade Ryan Leonard?

Lots of good prospects in this year's draft and WSH could use some extra assets. TJ Iginla maybe the closest comparable to Leonard if WSH still wanted to draft a similar player. May even turn out to be the better player of the two when all is said and done who knows.

Flexible here but extra assets could be a combination of: Harris, Jets 1st, Struble, Mesar....so something like MTL 5OA + Harris + Jets 1st FOR Leonard?
Why is Leonard, an unproven NHl player, who was drafted later than 5th, have higher value with extra picks and proven NHl players included? Seems really rich to me

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Why is Leonard, an unproven NHl player, who was drafted later than 5th, have higher value with extra picks and proven NHl players included? Seems really rich to me
Because it needs to make sense for WSH. 5OA is fair value but Leonard looks like he will be a good NHLer. Why would they give him up for magic beans at 5OA? Unless there is someone they really love at that position more than they love Leonard, they don't bite.

MTL would need to entice them somehow. My proposal was probably way too much value but Habs need to add something here

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
It's one Habs fan who's just super high on him for some reason. There's no real reason. For Montreal to overpay for a player they passed on less than a year ago other than his obsession with the kid

Reactions: jfhabs

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Because it needs to make sense for WSH. 5OA is fair value but Leonard looks like he will be a good NHLer. Why would they give him up for magic beans at 5OA? Unless there is someone they really love at that position more than they love Leonard, they don't bite.

MTL would need to entice them somehow. My proposal was probably way too much value but Habs need to add something here
Or they can just use the pick, and get a player of equal or better value, and not have to bend over and grab thier knees to convince Washington to move a player theure rightfully high on

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would trade 2nd overall for Ryan Leonard

But Washington would be stupid to accept that trade
Why would you do that? Many defenders project as 1st pair defenders. That's a lot more valuable (for a reason) than a first line winger outside of very dominant players like Pastrnak, Kucherov, M. Tkachuk, Rantanen, Robertson, Kaprizov, Panarin... outside of these, I think you always take the 1st pairing D-man and I don't think Leonard projects to be close to these guys.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Its fun to read how random player X drafted by the Habs is already better then Leonard. :popcorn:
What player?

You mean the player who'll be drafted 5th overall?

If that's the case, it's funny reading how there's no chance of that happening.

I mean, Leonard is great, I think he plays a pro style of hockey, but I'm not sure is offensive potential is truly elite. Or at the very least his stats in the NCAA are a reflection of his potential. That line was stacked. I think his talent level is of a ppg player on another NCAA team.

The Habs can certainly pick up a similar or better player in this year's draft, specially if they go BPA and don't mind taking a defender.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its fun to read how random player X drafted by the Habs is already better then Leonard. :popcorn:

Leonard had a very good D+1 but we really don't know how good he will be until he turns pro. I like the player's potential and you have a much better idea of their development trade in D+1.

The 5th pick in this draft is no joke though. However, Nothing is a guarantee until they play in the NHL. In this top 10 or top 13, I am curious about who busts/disappoints and who becomes a hit. The talent looks solid

Interesting trade to talk about but doubt either team does it.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
BPA from 2-10 in this draft is largely depended on each teams draft board which will vary by a fair amount in this draft. Lots of D in that top 10 but there are lots of forwards who will be better than some of those D... when we look back in 3-5 years. :nod:

Teams do draft BPA (what they think on draft day). Real BPA just don't exist. This is a game of evaluating 15-18 year olds and trying to project who they will be from age 18-20+.. where most of the growth happens.

Popular BPA's exist though. What most think due to influential rankings on the net. Habs could have drafted BPA in Zadina (vs KK) but the real BPA was Tkachuk and pre-draft, nobody can say Tkachuk was the BPA at 3 that year. You can only say it today using hindsight
To further accentuate to point, I don't know that Tkachuk was either. I think it would be Dahlin at 1 and Hughes at 2. Interesting discussion between Tkachuk and Svech for three, though.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
After years of following draft classes defenders are alot harder to develop even the ones at the top of the draft. Leonard is about as NHL ready as prospects come and its frustrating he wants to stay in college another season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To further accentuate to point, I don't know that Tkachuk was either. I think it would be Dahlin at 1 and Hughes at 2. Interesting discussion between Tkachuk and Svech for three, though.

Tkachuk would be 2nd on my redraft. Hughes 3rd and Svechnikov 4th. Tkachuk is a complete power forward and can change the game like his brother. He's just on a shitty team.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Tkachuk would be 2nd on my redraft. Hughes 3rd and Svechnikov 4th. Tkachuk is a complete power forward and can change the game like his brother. He's just on a shitty team.
I don't think that you're necessarily wrong. I personally would take Svech 4th as well. I just don't think that anyone who argues the order is wrong either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad