Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think Tomasino should pan out better than Novak, and that Fabbro is a really good player... but... they are all in the "soft-ish" category of player. Skilled enough that both forwards can be top-6 complementary options, and Fabbro has been a great partner for Josi even though he's not flashy enough for Josi to like him, but... they need a certain kind of coach/system in order to flourish.

That coach/system does not currently exist in Nashville, which is why we here list them as "expendable". But it's also a coach/system which doesn't seem especially common elsewhere in the NHL either, nor particularly aligned with the current playoff trends for heavy/nasty players in support roles. So YMMV on those guys. I'm not sure a contending team like the Leafs, which thus far might have had specific issues in those areas, is really going to be the best place to get the most out of those players? They're good/skilled. But they might almost need to go to more of a building/non-contender type of team to improve their odds of breaking out? :dunno:
Sorry missed this.

Yeah. It's not a slam dunk win, but I like said- I like the upside, though I've switched to preferring Tomasino.

Would really come down to the Leafs pro-scouting/ Tre / Berube. If they think Fabbro can be their Forsling/Montour and that a bridge deal Tomasino take a step and get the job done with Matthews for the next three years- giddy up. Those are two big pieces of the puzzle.

But if they don't believe in the upside in the specific players I think it any deal would be DOA for the stylistic reasons you mention.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You can have a Vezina Goalie (Boston) and still get knocked out, or play 3 different goalies and make it to game 7 of the 2nd round (Van) before losing. You still have to have players that put the puck in the net and the Preds were short a couple of those. Saros stats were not that different than those that are still playing. Preds did not give him the goals support he should have had.

Goalie Stats:
Saros 2.02/.900
Oettinger 2.09/.918
Pickard 2.21/.915
Skinner 2.87/.881
Bobrovsky 2.37/.902
Shesterkin 2.40/.923
Agreed, but I think we have some prospects now, that can score. We for sure will be faster.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sorry missed this.

Yeah. It's not a slam dunk win, but I like said- I like the upside, though I've switched to preferring Tomasino.

Would really come down to the Leafs pro-scouting/ Tre / Berube. If they think Fabbro can be their Forsling/Montour and that a bridge deal Tomasino take a step and get the job done with Matthews for the next three years- giddy up. Those are two big pieces of the puzzle.

But if they don't believe in the upside in the specific players I think it any deal would be DOA for the stylistic reasons you mention.
One thing I would add on Fabbro is that he's not ever going to be like Forsling or Montour. He uses his skating to be effective defensively, but it's very much based on positioning/intelligence/gap control/etc. He has no physical game to speak of, and no offensive game either. Or at least he has never shown any inclination in that respect in Nashville. I guess he had bigger numbers as a junior and in the NCAA, but I don't really see that as something in his NHL game. The Preds have screwed around with him so much, however, I'm not really sure even he knows anymore what he wants to be or could be on the ice. :dunno:

But I suspect he will be found at a bargain-bin pickup price, or as a free agent or throw-in, as opposed to a key component of any bigger trade. The Preds have broadcast fairly loudly that they just don't value him at all, for whatever reason, so he's going to have to rediscover himself elsewhere as a reclamation probably. :(

Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
On the same token Emma said we weren't a playoff team last year.

I realistically think we could be contender in 2 seasons. Only worry is how does Josi age and who's in net.
Goaltending can steal games but at the same time Vancouver made it to game 7 of round 2 on the backs of 2nd and 3rd string goalies but Edmonton's Skinner is sitting at a .881 sv% and won game 7 after allowing 2 goals on 17 shots.

Sometimes goal scoring can overcome bad goaltending. We actually had the best GA/GP of all the playoffs at 2.17 GA/GP. Our 3rd worst of the playoff teams 2.00 GF/GP just couldn't overcome.

Playoff goalies left and playoff sv% so far:
DAL - Oettinger - .918 sv%
EDM - Skinner - .881 sv%
FLA - Bobrovsky - .902 sv%
NYR - Shesterkin - .922 sv%

Reactions: weeze

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
One thing I would add on Fabbro is that he's not ever going to be like Forsling or Montour. He uses his skating to be effective defensively, but it's very much based on positioning/intelligence/gap control/etc. He has no physical game to speak of, and no offensive game either. Or at least he has never shown any inclination in that respect in Nashville. :(
Loose language, was meaning more in the qualitative sense of "pick up change, turns into top 4 dman" than a stylistic comparison. By your description that would turn him into a TJ Brodie 2.0, picking up points off simple point plays and a good 1st pass.

But Tre has made a big deal about wanting guys that "check" rather than "defend" - so I can't see Fabbro being coveted.

How about we exchange Fabbro and the 2nd for one of Wood/Kemell/ L'Heureux? :naughty:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How about we exchange Fabbro and the 2nd for one of Wood/Kemell/ L'Heureux? :naughty:
I could see one of Wood/Kemell being available... if the market involves a "bidding war" of some sort. I can't see L'Heureux being available in any scenario, given what the Preds are looking for and what he has been doing lately under their watchful eye these AHL playoffs. :dunno:

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I could see one of Wood/Kemell being available... if the market involves a "bidding war" of some sort. I can't see L'Heureux being available in any scenario, given what the Preds are looking for and what he has been doing lately under their watchful eye these AHL playoffs. :dunno:
I might be in the minority of Leaf fans but I see your 2024 1st + Tomasino + Wood as a very strong offer given the circumstance

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd rather have McDonagh at 2x$6.75M than Zadorov at 6x$6M, but I guess we'll see what Trotz is thinking. If he is going to pursue some other veteran D. Or is truly making room for Stastney+Del Gaizo. On the surface, giving up one of our top 4 D when we already needed to ADD on D... well, who knows what he's thinking.

McDonagh was ok, we leaned on him maybe a little more than we should have had to, it'll be tough to fill those minutes with a comparably "safe" player either via the UFA market or internally. I'm just going to have a hard time believing the plan is truly to use Stastney/Del Gaizo/Molendyk after what we saw this season with the young forwards. But who knows. :dunno:

Even if the "UFA" below is just Carrier, and even though I really like Stastney... that'd be quite the D group below... :eek3:

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Glass ($2.5M)/Novak ($3.5M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
L'Heureux ($0.8633M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M) - Tomasino (RFA - $0.775M)
Afanseyev (RFA - $0.775M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Smith ($1M)
McCarron ($0.900M) - Jankowski ($0.900M)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Stastney (RFA - $0.775M) - UFA
Lauzon ($2M) - Schenn ($2.75M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Saros ($5M)
Askarov ($0.925M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $67.41743M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $87.7M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $20.28257M

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundgarden

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I still personally see Fabbro as on the outs with the organization. I could see us now pursuing Pesce to pair with Josi so both players are on their natural sides and sortof recreate the McD/Josi pairing.

Wouldn't mind Zadorov if we trade out Lauzon as part of a package somewhere. Maybe Toronto wants him and Saros for Marner. Pick up Zadorov for middle pairing or and stastney for 3rd with schenn. Who knows though. Lots of fun possibilities

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Sabres fan here wondering if Sissons could be available? I think he’d be a perfect fit for our 3C role.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sabres fan here wondering if Sissons could be available? I think he’d be a perfect fit for our 3C role.
I don't think he would be available. Not at any reasonable price for the player he is, anyhow. He already nicely fills his role here, and we have nobody whatsoever pushing him in that role yet. Depends on what Trotz is up to, though. If he's re-blowing-it-up, I guess Sissons only has 2 years left and could be on the block. But I really doubt that's going to be the case. We're so thin up front as it is, trading Sissons wouldn't make sense. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Bat shit crazy idea; a lot of cap, a ton of draft picks, and a GM who wants to make a splash. Offer sheet?
Tell me the player, the contract. I wouldn't rule out anything, but I'm not aware of any real gamebreakers on the RFA front. Necas, Lundell, Mittelstadt, Raymond, Beniers, Mercer, Seider, Harley, Swayman, Byfield, Pinto... there are some guys, but a lot of other teams have Cap space... like you can't outbid Detroit when they have $30M in Cap space, even more than us. You have to find the right alignment of conditions where a team might not be able to afford to match a premium contract, and I don't think that's going to be the case in this market with the incoming Cap rise? :dunno:

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Seeing how that Kotkaniemi one worked out I'm not too into the idea.
Great example on how you have to basically over pay to the stupid point that crushes the value of the player to even execute the offer sheet. KK is prob a rock solid player that everybody appreciates having on the roster and still developing if he got signed to the proper deal. Instead he is a possible buy out candidate that doesn't have any time to continue his development.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Great example on how you have to basically over pay to the stupid point that crushes the value of the player to even execute the offer sheet. KK is prob a rock solid player that everybody appreciates having on the roster and still developing if he got signed to the proper deal. Instead he is a possible buy out candidate that doesn't have any time to continue his development.
Offer sheets, outside of a certain range, combine the worst aspects of FA signings and trades. To get the player interested and owning team to pass it has to be an overpay of a contract, then you have to give up the draft pick assets on top of it (and for any player generally "worth it" is going to be at least a 1st+ if not multiple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Goaltending can steal games but at the same time Vancouver made it to game 7 of round 2 on the backs of 2nd and 3rd string goalies but Edmonton's Skinner is sitting at a .881 sv% and won game 7 after allowing 2 goals on 17 shots.

Sometimes goal scoring can overcome bad goaltending. We actually had the best GA/GP of all the playoffs at 2.17 GA/GP. Our 3rd worst of the playoff teams 2.00 GF/GP just couldn't overcome.

Playoff goalies left and playoff sv% so far:
DAL - Oettinger - .918 sv%
EDM - Skinner - .881 sv%
FLA - Bobrovsky - .902 sv%
NYR - Shesterkin - .922 sv%
Edmonton is in for some pain this next round. While Vancouver had some offensive challenges, Dallas has skill and depth in that department. Skinner might need to dig a foxhole in his crease.

Oddly enough, he's a perfect fit for our 3C.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't think he would be available. Not at any reasonable price for the player he is, anyhow. He already nicely fills his role here, and we have nobody whatsoever pushing him in that role yet. Depends on what Trotz is up to, though. If he's re-blowing-it-up, I guess Sissons only has 2 years left and could be on the block. But I really doubt that's going to be the case. We're so thin up front as it is, trading Sissons wouldn't make sense. :dunno:
Yeah I think to get Sissons you’d have to massively overpay to the point it isn’t worth it. I’d take the #11 pick for him but that seems like a big overpay. I do think we can probably get a 1st at the deadline from a playoff team for him eventually if we wanted to go that route though.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sissons should probably be getting a letter with McD leaving (he was a rotating "A," wasn't he?). If it's a stupid overpay, sure, but feels like he fits what Trotz and Bruno want to a T for the bottom 6 and I'd be surprised if he isn't a Pred lifer. Doubt his new contract will be all that more expensive either, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad