NESN NESN launches app that features live streams of Red Sox and Bruins games

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Cord-cutting Red Sox and Bruins fans have a new way to watch games, thanks to a streaming app launched by NESN on Wednesday.
“NESN 360″ offers the same live feed NESN and NESN+ carry, as well as a library of other NESN offerings and original content produced for the site.
The app, the first of its kind from a regional sports network for an MLB or NHL team, is available at no additional cost for those who already subscribe to NESN via their cable provider.
For those without traditional NESN, there are two plans available at $29.99 a month. There’s a month-to-month option with a $1 promotional offer for the first month, while the pre-paid, $329.99 annual plan comes, for a limited time, with eight Red Sox tickets.

Sean McGrail, president and CEO of NESN, described the streaming app as “a companion product” to what the network currently offers, and a product that will evolve in the years to come.

“This is another opportunity for us to make sure fans have the ability to watch the teams they love,” said McGrail. “There are changes in the media landscape, there’s no question about it and this is a way of responding to make sure we have unilateral access for all of New England, and all of the people who are fans of our teams to get access to those products.”

Eighty percent of NESN is owned by Fenway Sports Group, parent company of the Red Sox, with the Bruins owning the rest.

Like its fiber-optic, satellite-dish, or cable-based cousins, a NESN 360 user will only be able to stream content if their phone, computer, smart TV, Apple TV, or Roku device is located within the six New England states, minus Fairfield County in Connecticut.

After being downloaded, a NESN-less customer would pick the monthly or annual plan, while a NESN subscriber would link their app to their existing provider account.

Open the app, and a home page appears, with the top two clickable options being whatever is on NESN or NESN+ at that moment. Scroll down, and there will be a library of assorted video-on-demand features, such as recently produced David Ortiz, Jerry Remy or Bruins specials, plus full re-broadcasts of past Red Sox games, including nationally televised games.

There will also be unique content for the streaming app that won’t be airing on old-school NESN.

Devout Red Sox’ fan Jared Carrabis will have his own “Beyond Fenway with Jared Carrabis” show featuring social visits with Red Sox players.

The “Pitching Ninja,” otherwise known as Rob Friedman, will offer inside looks at Red Sox pitching. The video airing today, for example, features the Ninja breaking down what’s been working and what’s not been working for the club’s staff in the first two months of the season.

Collaborations with other content providers, including the Globe, are in the works.

Later this summer, NESN plans to introduce an ultra high-def broadcast to the app, make the streaming content available on Fire TV and Google TV apps, and perhaps carry a live home Red Sox batting practice feed.

That variety pack of choices is one of three components that went into the network’s thinking when it settled on the $30 a month price point, said Ahmed Darwish, chief marketing officer at NESN..

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Sports fans in New England can download NESN 360 on Apple TV, Roku, iPhone or Android devices. Stream live games, behind-the-scenes content, full episodes of NESN original shows, and more!

Watch NESN anytime, anywhere in New England (excluding Fairfield County, CT).

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

NESN plans to introduce new features in weeks to come, including 4K HDR, cloud DVR, and distribution via apps like FIRETV and Google TV apps. NESN is also exploring an exclusive live home batting practice feed in partnership with the Red Sox.

NESN has invested in original content featuring notable personalities, and plans collaborations with other content partners such as the Boston Globe.

Fans who choose to subscribe directly have an annual and a monthly subscription option, each with its own limited time promotion for the launch of the new product. The monthly plan will bill $1 for the first month, followed by $29.99 once per month. Annual subscribers will receive 8 tickets to a 2022 Red Sox game of their choosing* and be billed $329.99 once per year which includes the $1 price for the first month. Fans with an existing participating video provider will receive the same access for no additional cost

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I would have hoped that an app like this would have come in at around $15-$20 a month. Adding $29.99 to YTTV makes this a no go for me and I'll have to stick to my "other" ways to see the games.

@Fenway if you get info on subscriber counts please post here as I am curious to see how many subscribers they get at this price.

Reactions: PlayMakers

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Absurd price point given the content they’re putting out

The only people it makes any sense for at all are people who are diehards of both the Sox and Bruins who don’t have any other possible way to watch it

If they’re only a hockey or baseball fan I think it ends up making more sense to get the nhltv or mlbtv streams, plus you get to actually watch every other game in the league too

Reactions: PlayMakers

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I would have hoped that an app like this would have come in at around $15-$20 a month. Adding $29.99 to YTTV makes this a no go for me and I'll have to stick to my "other" ways to see the games.

@Fenway if you get info on subscriber counts please post here as I am curious to see how many subscribers they get at this price.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced

The Boston Globe charges more for digital than any newspaper in the US.

Attendance is way down at Fenway, Monday night 24,000 was the announced crowd and I'm told the actual crowd was about 20K.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
$30 bucks! LMAO. Werner at it again. Bruins feed is shit. Stick it.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
$30/month is absolutely ridiculous. It's like they don't actually want people to use the service. I'd be all over this package, as I'm moving to Somerville in July so now that I'm in market, ESPN+ is no longer a viable way to stream games. I haven't had cable since 2014, and I'm not getting it again.

redline76

Nov 14, 2008
30$ a month is a bit steep especially for the crappy "content" that NESN produces. outside of games is basically fishing shows and sports nobody watches. But at least they are finally dragging themselves into the 21st century

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced
Did NESN do any market research to see what people are willing to pay? Or did they decide to set a price and hope that people will subscribe?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
wonder if there is a log in option for Spectrum cable users in provider list. There was never an option in the old app.
Just downloaded the app and checked. Still no Charter Spectrum in provider list. Dont they make up like 50% of providers in northeast???

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Did NESN do any market research to see what people are willing to pay? Or did they decide to set a price and hope that people will subscribe?
Bally Sports has priced it $10 less

On Wednesday, the Sinclair Broadcasting Group revealed its earnings report for the first quarter of 2022. It was an eventful three months for the broadcasting giant as they continued to slowly inch toward the long-awaited launch of their Bally Sports direct-to-consumer (DTC) streaming service.

The company announced that the plan was still to have a soft launch of the streamer this quarter and that it will cost $189.99 annually or $19.99 per month. Later during the company’s earnings call, CEO Chris Ripley referred to the upcoming service as “Bally Sports+.”

The service would allow fans access to stream NBA, NHL, and select MLB teams on their Bally Sports RSN in their local markets.

The Red Sox still act like they own the market and they are driven by greed.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Well I hope this is a spectacular fail for NESN. I almost think that I would subscibe at something like the $189 Bally is charging.

The greed of the Red Sox caused me to drop my 30 year season ticket package when my seats hit $156 per seat for the high tier games. WIth their bad start and the possibility of losing Bogaerts and Devers after this season on the heals of losing Mookie I have never had less interest in a Red Sox season as this year.

Bally Sports has priced it $10 less

On Wednesday, the Sinclair Broadcasting Group revealed its earnings report for the first quarter of 2022. It was an eventful three months for the broadcasting giant as they continued to slowly inch toward the long-awaited launch of their Bally Sports direct-to-consumer (DTC) streaming service.

The company announced that the plan was still to have a soft launch of the streamer this quarter and that it will cost $189.99 annually or $19.99 per month. Later during the company’s earnings call, CEO Chris Ripley referred to the upcoming service as “Bally Sports+.”

The service would allow fans access to stream NBA, NHL, and select MLB teams on their Bally Sports RSN in their local markets.

The Red Sox still act like they own the market and they are driven by greed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Lol I thought “eh that’s cool” until I saw the price point.

NESN is shameless. They talk themselves up as if they’re this cutting edge network, but it just gets shittier as time goes on. Feels like they stopped progressing after they went HD like 15 years ago.

The production isn’t good, the writing isn’t good, the personalities are not good, the presentation isn’t good. There isn’t a single thing I feel like they’re doing well.

The whole thing where they used the pandemic as an excuse to cheap out and keep their entire team at home felt insulting. The lack of professionalism was ridiculous. They put Jack and Brick in a dark room with little monitors and threw some hockey sticks in the background. Oh, and they didn’t even do the hockey sticks at first.

So yeah, I’m not paying them anything.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I’m sure they did no research.

There’s nothing more hilarious that seeing business owners fall into a trap of thinking they can just name a price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad