NFL might not keep Sunday Ticket on DTV

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall

Agreement expires in 2022. But AT&T might not be interested in renewing (exclusive deal could be $1B).

NFL seems to be interested in streaming platform (Amazon and YouTube explicitly mentioned). Or perhaps not exclusive.

DTV has been losing customers.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
DTV has some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. We had them for two years because we were living out of market of our favorite NFL team, and needed Sunday Ticket, but they sucked to deal with.

Not shocked they’re losing customers.

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
I looked into them. But once I saw that you have to sign a 2 year contract and the price almost doubles that second year made me to never consider them again.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Without the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, Direct TV could be bankrupt. Literally the worst TV service out there. I don’t know anyone that has it anymore. Streaming is hurting all Cable/Satellite TV but at least Spectrum and Comcast also sell high speed internet that can be used for streaming.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
DTV has some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. We had them for two years because we were living out of market of our favorite NFL team, and needed Sunday Ticket, but they sucked to deal with.

Not shocked they’re losing customers.
Kinda OT but I'm a long time customer, and I've only had great customer service with DTV. Literally, I call them once a year when it's time to renew NHL Center Ice, and explain that I'm a long time customer and that my bill is too high (Definitely isn't). The customer service rep has given center ice for free and usually one of MLB or NBA for free also along with some other channels nobody watches.

Reactions: NCRanger

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Without the exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, Direct TV could be bankrupt. Literally the worst TV service out there. I don’t know anyone that has it anymore. Streaming is hurting all Cable/Satellite TV but at least Spectrum and Comcast also sell high speed internet that can be used for streaming.

How can DTV go bankrupt? It is part of AT&T

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
8-10 years ago DirecTV was the jam. Awesome customer service, Sunday Ticket, great interface, tons of on demand options. It went to shit when AT&T bought them.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
8-10 years ago DirecTV was the jam. Awesome customer service, Sunday Ticket, great interface, tons of on demand options. It went to **** when AT&T bought them.

Only reason we have it is because it is the only legal provider (other than streaming) that shows both home and away broadcasts for NHL and MLB.

I'm 48. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for streaming to watch on a 3 inch phone screen, or deal with buffering/compression/and all that other crap getting to the TV.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Only reason we have it is because it is the only legal provider (other than streaming) that shows both home and away broadcasts for NHL and MLB.

I'm 48. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for streaming to watch on a 3 inch phone screen, or deal with buffering/compression/and all that other crap getting to the TV.

Dont most providers have all of these except for Sunday football? I mean that was their biggest selling point. But I think it's so easy to get a stream and hook that up to your TV now a days, plus the rising costs of makes sense.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm pretty sure the reason Sunday Ticket has been on DirecTV is because it has to be on satellite per FCC cable rules.

There's a rule from the 1950s that prohibits importing out-of-market affiliates into a market via cable. If you get two affiliates from two different cities on cable, it's because you can pick up both over the air via antenna.

I discovered this because the Mets games were on WPIX and we got that channel in Rochester. But then WPIX became a WB affiliate. Rochester had it's own local WB affiliate, so cable had to drop WPIX. For a brief time, the WPIX Mets games would appear on a channel that was like home shopping the other 21 hours of the day. But that got ended pretty soon, too.

When every NCAA Tournament game was CBS regional coverage, they had the March Madness DirecTV package which let you pick from the four games going on. It wasn't available on cable either (which follows that rule). Now they have all the games spread out over CBS, TBS, TNT, Tru, so it isn't an issue.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

When I mirror my phone to the TV, the picture quality easily surpasses what I get from cable TV, the compression on cable produces way more artifacts.

I can tie all my streaming accounts to my Apple TV and the picture quality is aces. I get SHL/Allsvenskan, DEL and the NHL streaming better than cable/DTV.

I’m 50

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
When I mirror my phone to the TV, the picture quality easily surpasses what I get from cable TV, the compression on cable produces way more artifacts.

I can tie all my streaming accounts to my Apple TV and the picture quality is aces. I get SHL/Allsvenskan, DEL and the NHL streaming better than cable/DTV.

I’m 50
That's what I've been doing with my phone and mirroring since September. The only downside is that I cant be on my phone and watching at the same time and even the Hulu and YouTube TV is around 50 bucks a month. Sling is the cheapest but from I've read, it doesn't support mirroring or carry local channels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad