NHL: Around the League 52

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Marner's dad seems like a psychopath. I remember seeing that a few times with dads when I was playing baseball. How do guys like this not see they're making their kids miserable, if not blatantly terrifying them? There's a difference between correcting your kid when he's being lazy and freaking the hell out over every micro-moment during a game.

Could be looking way too far into this but Marner does not seem like a person comfortable with himself at all whenever I see him in interviews, on the bench, or even on the ice. He looks like a very low-confidence person and that's not a dig at him but it a symptom of a super over-bearing dad. Is that really worth screwing up your son so he can make tens of millions playing hockey? IDK.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Marner's dad seems like a psychopath. I remember seeing that a few times with dads when I was playing baseball. How do guys like this not see they're making their kids miserable, if not blatantly terrifying them? There's a difference between correcting your kid when he's being lazy and freaking the hell out over every micro-moment during a game.

Could be looking way too far into this but Marner does not seem like a person comfortable with himself at all whenever I see him in interviews, on the bench, or even on the ice. He looks like a very low-confidence person and that's not a dig at him but it a symptom of a super over-bearing dad. Is that really worth screwing up your son so he can make tens of millions playing hockey? IDK.

There is a documentary floating around the internet. It might have been done by CBC. It centers around Marner and how good he was as a kid. He looked like he was 13 or so. Marner's dad was in it from time to time. He didn't give off a very good impression. He just looked like he put way too much pressure on his son to play well.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

After Marner suffered from a high ankle sprain, his game wasn't the same. His edge work isn't even close to what it was prior to his injury ... After being out for 12 games, the season was winding down and the pressure to get some games in before the playoffs resulted in an early return but he wasn't the same player.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
After Marner suffered from a high ankle sprain, his game wasn't the same. His edge work isn't even close to what it was prior to his injury ... After being out for 12 games, the season was winding down and the pressure to get some games in before the playoffs resulted in an early return but he wasn't the same player.
I understand why too. I sprained mine a month before he did, and I was still unable to play hockey 8 weeks later. He returned what, 4 weeks after?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017

I posted this on the main boards (at my own peril) but if Marner had been traded to LA instead of Pierre Luc Dubois I think he would be a much happier man. Doughty and Kopitar know what it takes to win and he can learn under their tutelege. In addition, he can live life a little more under the radar and just, all in all, probably be happier.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Patrick O'Sullivan had his career ruined by a domineering jack wagon of a father.

Reactions: Pez68 and TLEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad