The Athletic NHL front-office confidence rankings, 2023: How fans feel about every team

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

How confident are you in your team’s front office? That’s the question we ask every offseason, using the wisdom of the crowd as a guide toward revealing which front offices are doing the best job, and which ones aren’t.

Each front office has its ability graded in six categories: roster building, cap management, drafting and development, trading, free agency and vision.

This is the eighth annual version of the list. This year’s edition garnered over 11,000 responses from fans who graded their favorite teams and over 300 from more ambitious fans who voted for every team. Both opinions from the inside and the outside are valid and the differences between the two are always extremely fascinating.

According to the collective opinion of our well-informed subscribers, here’s how much confidence each team’s front office currently inspires.

(Note: Some comments have been slightly edited for style and clarity.)

8. Buffalo Sabres

Last Year: 14th

“I don’t think GMKA gets the respect he deserves outside of Buffalo for his rebuild of the entire organization. I considered the Sabres the worst-managed professional sports team in North America (maybe the world) in 2020. The three-year turnaround is nothing short of remarkable in my opinion.”

“I’ll admit to having been extremely skeptical of Kevyn Adams when he got the GM job, but honestly, he’s been making some really solid decisions and I feel like he has both a good vision and an understanding of how long it needs to take to get there.”

The Buffalo Sabres are hockey’s new “it” team, everyone’s second favorite club. So it should come as no surprise that they enter the top 10 in the front-office confidence rankings on the back of stronger relative support from the public rather than their own fan base.

This is Buffalo’s first foray into the league’s top 10 and it comes from the franchise finally doing things the right way. No rushing the rebuild, no quick fixes, no band-aid solutions — just patience and development toward finding the right pieces. The Sabres get top marks for their drafting and development and it’s what will make this franchise a future powerhouse. On the development front, the Tage Thompson story is one of the biggest wins in that realm in recent memory — one that’s worthy of a lot of cachet in that category. It’s hard not to have complete faith in a team’s development practices after seeing what they turned Tage into.

The other thing that really helps Buffalo is the team’s cap management. The Sabres haven’t been afraid to lock up their young players early to reasonable deals and it’s already paying dividends with how those players are evolving past those pay structures. It’s similar to how the Devils have operated and it’s paid off big time for them. The Sabres are looking to follow in those footsteps, right down to last year’s major breakout.

To get there, Buffalo will need to do a better job of finding strong, external solutions the way New Jersey has. Strong drafting and developing only goes so far and the Sabres’ work in trades and on the free-agency front does leave a bit to be desired at the moment. Maybe it’s the team being patient, but for now, it’s the difference between ranking eighth and somewhere in the top five.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
I know what to expect from KA which is the bare minimum. Very disappointed with the offseason and im beginning to think hes very lucky he has Granato and a late blooming center who needed financial security because his wife had cancer otherwise he’d be unemployed.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Just look at the difference between 'public' and 'fan base'. There are so many Sabres fans who are infected with the Buffalo negativity that they're Buffaloing themselves.
Except its not the public but the fan base that has to go through no playoffs for a RECORD breaking time.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Except its not the public but the fan base that has to go through no playoffs for a RECORD breaking time.
I think that is @TheMistyStranger 's point. The "Buffalo negativity" is allowing the misfortune of the past to infect and override the obvious positives that are currently in place and growing. It's a terrible way to live life and it really does hinder things in this area at times.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think I'm pretty in line with the fans ratings above, not that they're drastically different from the public's. Cautiously optimistic is the phrase I'd use. Clearly on the path to more success, but still a couple areas where I think I disagree with their philosophy on roster building, although it may very well work out in the end.

GMKA definitely deserves credit for changing the way the team is run and thought of around the league.

Things will feel very different if they miss the playoffs this year though, IMO. The pressure will escalate quickly based on the lack of key moves many of us feel were needed.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
How do the letter grades work?

Under "Draft & Develop" the raw score AND the ranking is higher for the fanbase, but the public gives an A+ while the fan base only gives an A? Something seems off there...

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think that is @TheMistyStranger 's point. The "Buffalo negativity" is allowing the misfortune of the past to infect and override the obvious positives that are currently in place and growing. It's a terrible way to live life and it really does hinder things in this area at times.

If Norwood didn't shank it, then Jay McKee wouldn't have gotten a staph infection!

• Haha
Reactions: HOOats

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have to think if they don't make the playoffs this year, this is going to be a very sharp turn of public opinion. Adams has gotten away with doing next to nothing because the team has improved each year after his first.

if that continuous improvement doesn't continue into a playoff spot, then I think the worm is going to turn a bit.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's hard to see around here with all the hemming and hawing about what changes they didn't make and "how them picking up different players than X or Y poster wanted makes them terrible"... but for the first time since basically Regier and Ruff, we actually have a front office and coaching staff that at the very least aren't a total circus. No brash, unhinged GM's spouting off in the media, no stubborn old school coaches crippling our franchise players.

If it weren't for how long it's been, and it's been quite a journey, I'd agree that expectations should be higher than that. But things as they are, and I understand that professionalism and good vibes alone don't get teams into the playoffs, I can see why public perception is changing.

A young, offensive-minded team coming into their own doesn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Honestly, this is bush league.
Oh come on. I know in one of the threads we all set out expectations for the offseason. And he needed to address the D and find a goaltender to pair with Levi. A Dahlin extension would be nice too. So far, we’ve addressed the D with…Connor Clifton. I hope to make the playoffs. With all the assets and cap space we had/have, i should be saying I expect to make the playoffs not hoping for it.

Also
No VO trade
No replacement for Jack Quinn unless you want to count VO

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Oh come on. I know in one of the threads we all set out expectations for the offseason. And he needed to address the D and find a goaltender to pair with Levi. A Dahlin extension would be nice too. So far, we’ve addressed the D with…Connor Clifton. I hope to make the playoffs. With all the assets and cap space we had/have, i should be saying I expect to make the playoffs not hoping for it.

Also
No VO trade
No replacement for Jack Quinn unless you want to count VO
I was talking more the "KA is very lucky he has...a late blooming center who needed financial security because his wife had cancer otherwise he’d be unemployed" part. That's a pretty crude way to discuss a grave matter, especially within the week the franchise is mourning a legend.

But sure, your analysis is bush league too if you insist.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I know what to expect from KA which is the bare minimum. Very disappointed with the offseason and im beginning to think hes very lucky he has Granato and a late blooming center who needed financial security because his wife had cancer otherwise he’d be unemployed.
what the hell even is this comment.

It is fair to say signings are....not great. I put part of those on situation. Bad team and location (for some), no one wants to sign. Rebuilding team that needs to figure out what they have. Hard to ignore a broken Eichel for Tuch krebs Ostlund, Risto for a 1st+, and Rhino for Levi Kulich and still give a C for trading.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Just look at the difference between 'public' and 'fan base'. There are so many Sabres fans who are infected with the Buffalo negativity that they're Buffaloing themselves.
Or they are just enlightened.

1693411042590.png

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I have to think if they don't make the playoffs this year, this is going to be a very sharp turn of public opinion. Adams has gotten away with doing next to nothing because the team has improved each year after his first.
if that continuous improvement doesn't continue into a playoff spot, then I think the worm is going to turn a bit.

I can't think of a better example of missing the forest for the trees.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If Norwood didn't shank it, then Jay McKee wouldn't have gotten a staph infection!
If there was better medical care available to William McKinley in the week between his assassination incident and his actual death in September, 1901, Buffalo would remain a Worldwide industrial powerhouse to this day, and would have won the 1st Super Bowl in 1967 and the 1975 and 1999 Stanley Cups.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If there was better medical care available to William McKinley in the week between his assassination incident and his actual death in September, 1901, Buffalo would remain a Worldwide industrial powerhouse to this day, and would have won the 1st Super Bowl in 1967 and the 1975 and 1999 Stanley Cups.
Don't forget about the Staley Swindle!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad