NHL Orgs you would NOT swap out with LAK org

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Different fans have different priorities, even in a place like this, where there are more dedicated and knowledgeable fans, you had people cheering on the ending of the rebuild in 2021, even though it was almost surely going to lead to a return to the black hole. Some people were completely over what was a very short 3 year rebuild and had similar views to what Drew Doughty told the media. If you are in it for more instant playoff results and don't want to be a bottom team, the Kings are a pretty good bet to keep doing what they have been doing for the last 3 years for another 2-3 years.

But if you are looking for a Stanley Cup winner, idk guys, I can't really think of to many teams that would be worse ranked than the Kings. The Kings are very clearly nowhere close to being a contender now, and you are going to see more and more of these teams that were constructed properly pass them up. The trading of 1st round picks in 2021 and 2022, the trading of young players like Faber and Vilardi and the total disaster of the 2019 draft have left the Kings wafer thin with 25 and under talent. With the inexplicable decision to bring back Blake, and Kopitar being under contract until the summer of 2026 means that we are a couple of years away from even beginning another rebuild.

Anaheim and San Jose have a much better chance of winning a cup in the next decade than the Kings do.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
aren’t the Kings one of the only three teams in the last decade to win a series? How is anyone’s list longer than 2? Lol
I think the other two teams are Buffalo and Utah/AZ.

But both those teams are stacked for the future. I think they both might be setup better than us for the next decade.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
aren’t the Kings one of the only three teams in the last decade to win a series? How is anyone’s list longer than 2? Lol

Kings now officially haven’t won a series in over a decade. From 2015-2024, the Kings have 0 series wins and a 7-20 record in the postseason.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Buffalo and Utah have been "stacked for the future" for 20 years.
But that is partly due to their smaller markets and unwillingness to spend up to the cap. We swap out with either and spend ot the cap, Id say both are better than the current LAK roster/pipe. Im working with the premise that LAK front office is league worst or close to it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Kings now officially haven’t won a series in over a decade. From 2015-2024, the Kings have 0 series wins and a 7-20 record in the postseason.

Good enough to get a post on the mainboard calling it a "Master Class" from a guy who would rather lose in the 1st round than pick Top 5.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's really crazy is most of the comparable teams didn't have major success in the last couple of decades, and/or have major market/money/management handicaps as well

while Rob took over just about the easiest position in the world, with ownership/office/personnel continuity and a championship infrastructure and relatively infinite resources, and turned it into a bottom third franchise for the forseeable future.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Depends on how you view it, are you talking about winning right now, or are you talking potential winning in the future.....are you talking both?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What's really crazy is most of the comparable teams didn't have major success in the last couple of decades, and/or have major market/money/management handicaps as well

while Rob took over just about the easiest position in the world, with ownership/office/personnel continuity and a championship infrastructure and relatively infinite resources, and turned it into a bottom third franchise for the forseeable future.
Which is why I just want a management change. I still like roster and pipeline pieces.

But I admit I'm a weirdo who likes seeing the evolution of an org, even if there are growing pains along the way.

Right now, management's just supplying the "pains".

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure the outcome would be much different with a different GM.

The main problem is organizational direction (trying to contend with older players past their prime) instead of rebuilding with a new prime aged core.

As long as the direction is the same, the outcome would likely be similar regardless of the manager in charge of executing it.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
While I do believe Blake has done an awful job I see a lot of teams that are basic black hole teams or worse. I think us as Kings fans hold our team under more of a microscope like other fans do of their teams. And if we are only looking towards the future I see roughly 10-12 teams that are at the same level or worse than the Kings. Aging cores, or core members hitting late 20s early 30s, suspect farm systems with 1-2 good pieces but will those pieces be ready before core ages out.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Depends on how you view it, are you talking about winning right now, or are you talking potential winning in the future.....are you talking both?
Its a thought expirement where you add up the teams front office, roster and pipeline - and would you take it over the Kings.. it would be up to the front office to decide on the direction and you're taking that into acount when you decide whether you would trust them to make that call.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It’s depressing to see the Kings franchise ranked against the league and be seen as middling.

The market is second in the nation and the value is 4th highest. The fact that the sport is niche should mean that we are up near the top instead of the bottom in terms of fandom and coverage.

Instead we get beat down fans and amateur press.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Its a thought expirement where you add up the teams front office, roster and pipeline - and would you take it over the Kings.. it would be up to the front office to decide on the direction and you're taking that into acount when you decide whether you would trust them to make that call.

Then like 4....maybe....that I actually would swap....

Dallas, Vancouver, Florida, Carolina

Last edited:
Reactions: AbsentMojo

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Taking into account front office, roster, and pipeline - what NHL orgs would you not swap with the Kings?

Columbus
Calgary
NYI

I think AZ move to Utah takes off my list
Would take LA over San Jose, Seattle, Calgary, Anaheim, Minnesota, Nashville, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Philly, Washington, Columbus. NYI, Buffalo and Ottawa.

Coin Flip:
Toronto, Tampa, Detroit, Winnipeg, Vegas

LA's roster is not that bad, but the lack of vision makes us all know it is going to get worse. Of the above teams I don't see why I would take their teams and systems with. I don't know enough about every team's front office to include that portion so this is just Roster and pipeline.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What GM would be successful in Kyle Dubas's position right now? His job is to take a team built around Malkin (37), Letang (36) and Crosby (36), and make them a contender. It ain't gonna happen.

On the other hand, I haven't been too impressed with Greer as a GM, he might suck, but he has the Sharks moving in the correct direction. (And he just got a big lucky break, yes that matters)

That's why I say the organizational plan/direction is more important than the GM executing it.

I don't have as much vitriol for Blake as others. I HATE the PLD acquisition, but Rob is executing a plan that was likely going to fail regardless.

Reactions: Sausages

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What GM would be successful in Kyle Dubas's position right now? His job is to take a team built around Malkin (37), Letang (36) and Crosby (36), and make them a contender. It ain't gonna happen.

On the other hand, I haven't been too impressed with Greer as a GM, he might suck, but he has the Sharks moving in the correct direction. (And he just got a big lucky break, yes that matters)

That's why I say the organizational plan/direction is more important than the GM executing it.

I don't have as much vitriol for Blake as others. I HATE the PLD acquisition, but Rob is executing a plan that was likely going to fail regardless.

Which is why op is saying this is about front office, roster, and pipeline, not just the GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad