NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

The second round ended Monday night with Game 7 of the all-Canadian Oilers-Canucks series delivering 1.66 million viewers on ESPN — the largest audience on record for an all-Canadian NHL game in the United States.

As one would expect for an all-Canadian matchup, it was still down 40% from Kraken-Stars Game 7 last year (2.75M) and the least-watched second round Game 7 since the 2020 “bubble.” Excluding that anomalous year, it was the least-watched since Jets-Predators on NBCSN in 2018 (1.56M).

A record indeed.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

The second round ended Monday night with Game 7 of the all-Canadian Oilers-Canucks series delivering 1.66 million viewers on ESPN — the largest audience on record for an all-Canadian NHL game in the United States.

As one would expect for an all-Canadian matchup, it was still down 40% from Kraken-Stars Game 7 last year (2.75M) and the least-watched second round Game 7 since the 2020 “bubble.” Excluding that anomalous year, it was the least-watched since Jets-Predators on NBCSN in 2018 (1.56M).

A record indeed.
And it beat Caitlyn Clark. 3 games into her career and the audience bleed continues.

Thats why uber-reactionary proclamations of popularity based off one big rating is laughed at in this thread.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Yeah those games are great number for sure for the WNBA but she's at the same spot so many guys in the NBA the team just sucks so people won't go out of their way to watch a bad team just for a player. The social media side will be record breaking for sure 10 min highlights are way to easy to watch.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
And it beat Caitlyn Clark. 3 games into her career and the audience bleed continues.

Thats why uber-reactionary proclamations of popularity based off one big rating is laughed at in this thread.
The nhl should’ve never been in that position in the first place.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
this NYR loss hurt alot tonight. We need them in the SCF.

if it's DAL/NYR final.... SCF gm7 will get 8.784M viewers

if it's EDM/FLA final....SCF gm7 will get 2.973M viewers. (if they're lucky)

Edm/fla will be an embarassment for the NHL. No one will watch that final. They'll be watching reruns of Shark Tank instead. ..Bettman will have nightmares in his sleep just thinking about it. He will be on antidepressants.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
It barely beat the wnba game . It’s embarrassing for the nhl no matter which way you look at it.
Lol you just dont get it, and you never will.

Keep up the good work

He has been. It's just like the regular season. On his own schedule. Generally there for the big events and occasional random game.
What are your predictions for these conference final matchups?

Reactions: Jets4Life

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Probably between 200 to 500k same range as the rest of the NBA/NHL playoffs games thus far

233k avg of avg viewership for NHL on truTV simulcasts.

Ranging from a low of 81k to a high of 462k.

Those were all true simulcasts though.

Alt-Casts on truTV in the regular season:

Chiclets Cast did 42k.
MultiVersus did 28k.

Going off the numbers it shows a difference between simulcast, people just wanting to watch the traditional broadcast of the game and they end up on truTV (tracking it I've noticed a lot of people watch on truTV and don't even realize they're not on TNT while thinking they are on TNT) and alt-casts where it's a different broadcast of the game.

So I'd project on the lower end. With a lot of complaints early in the game from the people who need their hands held with things like: "why isn't TNT doing a real broadcast?! What is this bs. I want to watch the regular broadcast! TNT sucks!" with a lot of red face emojis. See it every time from a surprising amount of people who are incapable of figuring out what channel they're actually on or using any amount of common sense to figure out that 'hey, this looks like an alt-cast, I should probably find the normal broadcast of the game is that's what I want to watch [instead of running to X/twitter/forum/etc. to complain that they aren't showing a regular broadcast of the game as if it's not an option]'

That said, simul or alt, "casts" always boost #'s so it'll add to the # in whatever way it does. I'd be surprised though if it was closer to the simulcast playoff high than the simulcast playoff low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad