Proposal: NJ-MTL

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Dunno amigo, the get would have to be huge for me to give up on Xhekaj.

And just to court more controversy... dunno if I'd trade him for Nemec.
Just want to clarify we're talking about the same 7D ineffective hockey player enforcer right?

Devils fans like to cope and think that his diminishing value was solely due to Lindy not utilizing him correctly. And who knows? Maybe they're right.

There is a universe where they keep him and try him out for one more year under whatever new coach they hire. But it's risky since his value really will plummet worse than Zacha when he was still a Devil, if the new coach can't tap into his potential.
I don't want to trade Holtz.

Zacha got us Haula after SIX years of not being able to figure it out. It's been 1 year for Holtz, and he produced at a high level when he actually had competent linemates.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Devils fans like to cope and think that his diminishing value was solely due to Lindy not utilizing him correctly. And who knows? Maybe they're right.

There is a universe where they keep him and try him out for one more year under whatever new coach they hire. But it's risky since his value really will plummet worse than Zacha when he was still a Devil, if the new coach can't tap into his potential.
I understand what Lindy was trying to do in terms of the fact that the offensive tools are all already there and he was trying to get him to be more defensively responsible and less careless with the puck. And when NJD had enough health and depth to play that way with him still having competent linemates who could play drive for him the results were actually quite good. When he was with guys like McLeod, Mercer, Haula, Palat, Holtz, Meier* (Meier was playing on 0 knees for their stretch together in december so he wasn't actually all that helpful), the results were excellent.

Then NJDs depth wavered. Injuries, trading away toffoli, loss of McLeod. And so then he was playing with scrubs like Willman, Nosek, Tierney, Bastian, who were incapable of getting the puck to Holtz in positions where he could exceed. Because Holtz isn't a play driver, he is a sniper.

When he had these quality linemates, up until about february, Alex Holtz production was off the charts. Here is Alex Holtz in terms of even strength points and goals/60, compared to every other player aged 25 or younger from the beginning of the year until the all star break.
Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 10.17.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-20 at 10.17.14 AM.png

I think NJD should keep holtz, give him competent linemates, and let him do what he does best. Play him either in the top 6 or insulate him with vets like Haula and Palat on the 3rd line

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
the usual homer takes of devils fans :sarcasm:
homer? While I like what he brings (and we need that), why would Fitz do that? With a potential of a top pairing D man potentially available. AX is a 3rd pairing who tops out where? How is getting the best possible team rostered a homer take? We didnt even draft a player to call our own!

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
homer? While I like what he brings (and we need that), why would Fitz do that? With a potential of a top pairing D man potentially available. AX is a 3rd pairing who tops out where? How is getting the best possible team rostered a homer take? We didnt even draft a player to call our own!
i am devils homer. don't convince me. :thumbu:

Reactions: Smitty426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad