Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
What does this trade look like?

As a Leafs fan, I hope it at least includes Saros, but I would be okay with a 1 for 1.
IMG_3230.jpeg

Last edited:

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I don't think Toronto wants an unproven kid for their win now window. It would have to be Saros, but that defeats the purpose for Nashville, so I don't see this happening.
I should have clarified. The rumour is just that NSH is interested. Saros being included was personal speculation/wishful thinking.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I should have clarified. The rumour is just that NSH is interested. Saros being included was personal speculation/wishful thinking.
Ah. My bad. I would still imagine Toronto would ask for Askarov or Matthew Wood and some.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Seems to make sense from both sides. Does Marner want to be a predator?

O'Reilly can prob do some convincing

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Toronto wants proven goalie so i wouldnt think Askarov.

Toronto may have interest in saros but why would marner agree to nashville if they lose their starter in the process? Hasnt he already seen how that turns out in toronto?

Nashville has a surplus of wing prospects and some extra picks - maybe something around that but then Nashvilles cap gets hammered hard and leaves them not much cap flexibility.

Our only expensive contracts are Forsberg, Josi, McDonagh, Saros, and RoR. Only players that makes sense to trade out of that group would be McDonagh and Saros. First one has a NMC the second one leaves the team in goalie limbo. We have so much dead cap next season due to buyouts and retained salary (11.8 million in dead cap) that it really needs to be a fairly balanced cap deal so nashville could still somewhat try to address RHD and center

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Ah. My bad. I would still imagine Toronto would ask for Askarov or Matthew Wood and some.
I like both of those players but Leafs are trying to win now and neither of them would help with that. Askarov might but we don’t have a track record for him as a starter.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He'd be a good pick up for Nashville and Zucker and Beauvilier are $9m they won't have next season.

Pick up another C in free agency and the Preds would have two lines rather than the one.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nashville doesn't have the assets just from my perspective as a Toronto fan.

Saros is nice but he's 29 and you'll need to pay him at 30 years old for probably not his best years...and that costs what? 6.75-8.5M for 6-8 years? The last sub 6 foot goalie to win a cup was Tim Thomas.

Keep in mind the goaltending prospect portion of the pool looks fantastic - Woll needs to stay healthy, Hildeby is knocking on the door for NHL minutes and Akyamatov just won VHL playoff MVP & also looked good in his KHL call up.

The secondary pieces to fill the gap like a 1st, Wood etc all aren't that appealing.

I have to imagine another team could offer more.

Reactions: MAHJ71

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I like both of those players but Leafs are trying to win now and neither of them would help with that. Askarov might but we don’t have a track record for him as a starter.
Toronto may be looking to clear space to bring someone else in since they don't intend on re-signing him (I imagine). They may not even be looking for one star, more like a few pieces. I can honestly see Toronto and Vegas working out a deal whether for JT or Marner and Shea Theodore, and Adin Hill coming back the other way. Something like that.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville doesn't have the assets just from my perspective as a Toronto fan.

Saros is nice but he's 29 and you'll need to pay him at 30 years old for probably not his best years...and that costs what? 6.75-8.5M for 6-8 years? The last sub 6 foot goalie to win a cup was Tim Thomas.

Keep in mind the goaltending prospect portion of the pool looks fantastic - Woll needs to stay healthy, Hildeby is knocking on the door for NHL minutes and Akyamatov just won VHL playoff MVP & also looked good in his KHL call up.

The secondary pieces to fill the gap like a 1st, Wood etc all aren't that appealing.

I have to imagine another team could offer more.
Nashville has a top ten prospect pool, Toro to could lose Marner's salary and go after someone else In the meantime.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Toronto may be looking to clear space to bring someone else in since they don't intend on re-signing him (I imagine). They may not even be looking for one star, more like a few pieces. I can honestly see Toronto and Vegas working out a deal whether for JT or Marner and Shea Theodore, and Adin Hill coming back the other way. Something like that.
I do think Tre will be active in free agency. Even though he’s a UFA, Saros coming back also means 6 million in cap savings, which could very easily get you a top 6 forward or top 4 dman. Personally, I think Tre targets Lindholm, but he’ll need to spend more than the 6 million.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto may have interest in saros but why would marner agree to nashville if they lose their starter in the process? Hasnt he already seen how that turns out in toronto?

To me, the solution to that is you don’t tell marner about any trade details. He’s not entitled to them.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nashville has a top ten prospect pool, Toro to could lose Marner's salary and go after someone else In the meantime.

Does Nashville have a 2C / top 4 projected prospect? A lot of the good pieces seem to be on wing where Toronto also has incoming help.

Given his cap hit, full no move, and status as a rental, I think you're probably over estimating his worth.

Just depends on whether Toronto wants to re-structure

I'm going to assume to maximize the return that Marner will give the green light on the location (waiving NMC) because he's willing to extend.

If he's a pure rental, yea - that limits the return.

Fully treating this as a guy that's moving on and will be extending where he lands at this point in time.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Does Nashville have a 2C / top 4 projected prospect? A lot of the good pieces seem to be on wing where Toronto also has incoming help.

I'm going to assume to maximize the return that Marner will give the green light on the location (waiving NMC) because he's willing to extend.

Fully treating this as a guy that's moving on and will be extending where he lands at this point in time.

Molendyk, Ufko, Wood, Svechkov, Parssinen. Plus 3 1sts in the next two drafts and 4 2nds.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Even with an extension I don't believe that gives you all that much of an increase in value. Its basically just negotiating rights. You still only have to beat the offer of the other teams. Toronto shouldn't care who or where Marner is signing with, so they just want the best return. Teams have been far more cavalier with trading for guys banking on the idea that they can get the extension in place later if they want to.

I think if Marner is moved, he's being moved not because someone wowed Toronto with an offer and just blew them away so much they had to take it. If Marner is moved I believe it's because Toronto wanted to restructure the roster, maybe free up money or re-allocate the assets, etc etc. In that situation, I think that they are already aware that they are not getting full dollar for dollar on Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad