OT: Official Off-topic Thread XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
just about the single saddest thing I have ever seen....I saw people who I work with who are tough as nails cry when checking this out on line

its going to come down to guns, and as someone who grew up with hunting guns in the house I wish the American people coulld vote for the banning of hand guns, and automatic weapons, and if caught with one 25 years without parole in prison

it would be about 99 to 1 in favor

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
If you want to blame someone, blame law enforcement - that's who reporters rely on for that information.

Easy.

You want their jobs today? Wading through that unspeakable crime scene? Informing parents their child is dead? Or any other day dealing w/ the *******s of the world?

Yeah, those poor misled reporters.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Easy.

You want their jobs today? Wading through that unspeakable crime scene? Informing parents their child is dead? Or any other day dealing w/ the *******s of the world?

you could not pay me enough to trade places with one of those guys today.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Easy.

That, and I'm sure law enforcement would much prefer to not share things prematurely. People want details, I get that, but I'd be willing to bet they would have liked to have held off on releasing some of the details if they could.

Also, it wouldn's surprise me to learn that a lot of the information wasn't reported officially via law enforcement, and reporters took nuggets of information and "researched" the rest of the story on their own...leading to false reports.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm not placing blame on anyone, simply pointing out that a reporter at a crime scene gets his/her information from a police spokesperson. That is SOP. Reporters aren't the ones checking out suspects for identification - the police are.

Sure, the suspect could have and probably was carrying his brother's ID, and I don't blame the police either for announcing what they had.

Neither reporters nor police are doing anything nefarious here, just their jobs.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm not placing blame om anyone, simply pointing out that a reporter at a crime scene gets his/her information from a police spokesperson. That is SOP. Reporters aren't the ones checking out suspects for identification - the police are.

Sure, the suspect could have and probably was carrying his brother's ID, and I don't blame the police either for announcing what they had.

You said if you wanted to blame someone, blame law enforcement, because that's where reporters get their information.

Huge cop out, IMO.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I can't bear to watch the news right now. I can take anything but a child suffering or being killed.

A parent knows no greater fear. None.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
You said if you wanted to blame someone, blame law enforcement, because that's where reporters get their information.

Huge cop out, IMO.

Sorry I didn't put "blame" in quotation marks, but I was responding to a post that cited the word, and figured that was implied. It's not "blame," because that implies premeditation. It's an error.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
That, and I'm sure law enforcement would much prefer to not share things prematurely. People want details, I get that, but I'd be willing to bet they would have liked to have held off on releasing some of the details if they could.

Also, it wouldn's surprise me to learn that a lot of the information wasn't reported officially via law enforcement, and reporters took nuggets of information and "researched" the rest of the story on their own...leading to false reports.

"Officially" the State Police Lieutenant said very little and emphasized it was early in the investigation. I'm not saying things don't leak out. They do. But when a reporter badgers an officer pulling a nearby traffic or crowd control detail. You have to use some commonsense, realizing that officer is pretty far out of the loop, too. Nope, they run to the presses, or the camera, or tweet, etc. There are also other witnesses around, some of whom are in total shock.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm not placing blame on anyone, simply pointing out that a reporter at a crime scene gets his/her information from a police spokesperson. That is SOP. Reporters aren't the ones checking out suspects for identification - the police are.

Neither reporters nor police are doing anything nefarious here, just their jobs.

Not anymore they don't. They grab the closest person and ask them.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Easy.

Holy overreaction.

I didn't, and don't, disparage police. There was a misidentification, i.e. an error, and incorrect information was released. It happens.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Man. Really tough day. The kids keep asking me about it too, not really sure what to say

On another note, For those of you familiar with car accidents, is it pretty much one and done once the insurance agent checks your car out and evaluates if its worth repairing or not or can you get a second opinion? Also, does anyone know how to check the current nada value of your car that the registry uses to determine sales tax as well as a line for totaling the car?

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86
Apparently they are now saying it's not Ryan, but his brother Adam instead.

My god, if thats true way to ruin that kids life because you don't check your facts first before reporting.

Sorry I didn't put "blame" in quotation marks, but I was responding to a post that cited the word, and figured that was implied. It's not "blame," because that implies premeditation. It's an error.

No, it didn't. Your word.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Apparently he had his brother's ID on him, hence the bad information.

Can't say that screw-up isn't understandable, but the issue is why would you be leaking any info at that point? Let the media wait. Let us wait.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
just about the single saddest thing I have ever seen....I saw people who I work with who are tough as nails cry when checking this out on line

its going to come down to guns, and as someone who grew up with hunting guns in the house I wish the American people coulld vote for the banning of hand guns, and automatic weapons, and if caught with one 25 years without parole in prison

Me too.

I heard about this at work and just sat at my desk and cried.

There are no words to say to the folks who lost children (and the adults who also were killed).

Got to get rid of the guns.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
No, it didn't. Your word.

Good lord, it was implied.

The media isn't evil here, nor are the police. They're doing their jobs, and sometimes mistakes are made. In an era of instant communication, mistakes often don't get caught.

Lesson learned - I'll use quotation marks next time.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

The City of Chicago has a hand gun ban and I believe they have a pretty high murder rate. Banning guns is not the answer, it may seem like it, but its not the way to go. They do need to crack down on illegal guns and have stiffer penalties for crimes.

But at the end of the day, its the criminals committing these crimes, not the guns.

They banned drugs and look how effective that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad