Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Watching the WHC right now between Austria and Finland, and it's great seeing two Austrian former Ottawa 67s alums Vinny Rohrer and Marco Rossi playing together for their national team. Interesting to note that Rossi scored the game tying goal in the dying seconds in Austria's comeback vs Canada after being down 5 goals in the third before losing in OT a couple days ago. I wish those guys and their team well at the WHC.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Now that our first two picks are inked...good! Wonder if they'll be anymore commits before training camp.Hopefully Perrier as he could make the team in year one. Bonomo and Krawchyk are also possibilities although they likely start in tier 2. The other one I'd like to see inked is Vanderberg as I heard from a guy I know in the CCHL that he's well regarded. However on elite prospects he is commited to USHL next year...too bad local kid.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Now that our first two picks are inked...good! Wonder if they'll be anymore commits before training camp.Hopefully Perrier as he could make the team in year one. Bonomo and Krawchyk are also possibilities although they likely start in tier 2. The other one I'd like to see inked is Vanderberg as I heard from a guy I know in the CCHL that he's well regarded. However on elite prospects he is commited to USHL next year...too bad local kid.

I agree about Vandenberg. I have heard similar. I was wondering what he looked like at Rookie camp but I am not sure if he attended or not.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I agree about Vandenberg. I have heard similar. I was wondering what he looked like at Rookie camp but I am not sure if he attended or not.
He was at rookie camp but don't know how he looked. I guess it's good he was there, at least he's lookjng at options. Maybe not next year but who knows.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He was at rookie camp but don't know how he looked. I guess it's good he was there, at least he's lookjng at options. Maybe not next year but who knows.

He was a later 5th rounder so he is sort of in that so-so zone of whether they took a flier on him or they had something lined up.

Bonomo is big but at that age and size it is highly unlikely he can keep the pace at the OHL level as a 16 year old. With his size, if he could, he’d have been a much higher pick. So, the door is open for Vandenberg. They can roster four 16 year olds so he is in line for a spot if he wants it and proves he can take it.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
He was a later 5th rounder so he is sort of in that so-so zone of whether they took a flier on him or they had something lined up.

Bonomo is big but at that age and size it is highly unlikely he can keep the pace at the OHL level as a 16 year old. With his size, if he could, he’d have been a much higher pick. So, the door is open for Vandenberg. They can roster four 16 year olds so he is in line for a spot if he wants it and proves he can take it.
Yes a fifth rounder but most rankings I saw had him second round but it was known there was NCAA/USHL interest. Even was one instance of him being a late first rounder ( don't remember if it was a ranking or a comment by a scout/analist though). Anyway time will tell, I'm sure if the poles are really high on him they'll do their best to convince him. As for Bonono I agree he's a project for 25/26. Our D next year is already accounted for imo
Mews/Marelli
Brady/Mayich or Sirman
Alphabet(❤️ your nickname)/Dietsch

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes a fifth rounder but most rankings I saw had him second round but it was known there was NCAA/USHL interest. Even was one instance of him being a late first rounder ( don't remember if it was a ranking or a comment by a scout/analist though). Anyway time will tell, I'm sure if the poles are really high on him they'll do their best to convince him. As for Bonono I agree he's a project for 25/26. Our D next year is already accounted for imo
Mews/Marelli
Brady/Mayich or Sirman

What I meant by that is usually the flier picks start around the 6th and 7th rounds. So, the 67’s picking him in the 5th is a little high for a pure flier pick. They didn’t have a 6th round pick so it looks like they wanted make sure they got him.

I do think if he is willing to play in his hometown, he is likely a strong candidate to stick with the team as an underage.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mews/Marelli
Brady/Mayich or Sirman
Don't forget that DC likes to have 8 D in the lineup.

Vandenburg was not drafted into the USHL, so I wonder what the story is. never know. However, if they are thinking of NCA and someone has talked to them, then it will be interesting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Don't forget that DC likes to have 8 D in the lineup.

Vandenburg was not drafted into the USHL, so I wonder what the story is. never know. However, if they are thinking of NCA and someone has talked to them, then it will be interesting.

I think the timing of when he committed to the USHL is a factor. Did he do it after he was drafted by Ottawa or before. If it was before, it could very well be a tactic to play in Ottawa. If it was after, then you have to question his desire to play OHL. Why commit after he is drafted unless it is a negotiation ploy to get a full Gold Scholarship package? That will be tough considering they have two first rounders that automatically get one of those packages. I think the team gets seven total packages. Barlas, Mews and Marrelli will have one. Whitehead may have one. Pinelli signed an NHL contract so if he has one, it no longer is in effect. The OA players don’t count. So, I know we have five handed out to 1st round picks, with potentially one more going to Whitehead who was a very early 2nd rounder. I doubt Foster or Kelly have one.

These Gold education packages are a factor. It is one of the reasons why trading Barlas is tough because if they were to trade him, they’d want the receiving team to take the scholarship package with him. If Mews is drafted early and signed early, his package will get freed up. So, that is good.

The reality is we don’t want players going USHL. Once they get there, if they are comfortable, they may decide not to come back (Moldenhauer). It is important to make a best effort to sign these kids when it makes sense.

EDIT:

He signed with Cedar rapids two days before the OHL Draft. This very well could have been a tactic to have more freedom to select where he wanted to play. We shall see.

Keep in mind that he signed a Tender Agreement which means Cedar Rapids forfeited a draft pick to sign that agreement.

Also, if the plan is to trade Pinelli and get an ‘08 1st rounder, then we’d need an open scholarship to take another one on. As mentioned, Barlas will have his package freed up after this season and Mews will likely sign an NHL contract at some point this coming season or next offseason. So, we shouldn’t have any signing issues next year. It is more about this year.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the timing of when he committed to the USHL is a factor. Did he do it after he was drafted by Ottawa or before. If it was before, it could very well be a tactic to play in Ottawa. If it was after, then you have to question his desire to play OHL. Why commit after he is drafted unless it is a negotiation ploy to get a full Gold Scholarship package? That will be tough considering they have two first rounders that automatically get one of those packages. I think the team gets seven total packages. Barlas, Mews and Marrelli will have one. Whitehead may have one. Pinelli signed an NHL contract so if he has one, it no longer is in effect. The OA players don’t count. So, I know we have five handed out to 1st round picks, with potentially one more going to Whitehead who was a very early 2nd rounder. I doubt Foster or Kelly have one.

These Gold education packages are a factor. It is one of the reasons why trading Barlas is tough because if they were to trade him, they’d want the receiving team to take the scholarship package with him. If Mews is drafted early and signed early, his package will get freed up. So, that is good.

The reality is we don’t want players going USHL. Once they get there, if they are comfortable, they may decide not to come back (Moldenhauer). It is important to make a best effort to sign these kids when it makes sense.

EDIT:

He signed with Cedar rapids two days before the OHL Draft. This very well could have been a tactic to have more freedom to select where he wanted to play. We shall see.

Keep in mind that he signed a Tender Agreement which means Cedar Rapids forfeited a draft pick to sign that agreement.

Also, if the plan is to trade Pinelli and get an ‘08 1st rounder, then we’d need an open scholarship to take another one on. As mentioned, Barlas will have his package freed up after this season and Mews will likely sign an NHL contract at some point this coming season or next offseason. So, we shouldn’t have any signing issues next year. It is more about this year.

There is no obligation to pay out the education package if an elc is signed, but I’m not so sure that the gold package does not count against the team until the four years. A threshold of 140 gold packages league wide would be easier for the league to manage.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is no obligation to pay out the education package if an elc is signed, but I’m not so sure that the gold package does not count against the team until the four years. A threshold of 140 gold packages league wide would be easier for the league to manage.

Once the player signs his ELC, he voids the scholarship. Since the scholarship is no longer valid, it should come off the books. There is no reason to keep it on the books. It would, at minimum, reset the scholarship pool the following offseason.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Once the player signs his ELC, he voids the scholarship. Since the scholarship is no longer valid, it should come off the books. There is no reason to keep it on the books. It would, at minimum, reset the scholarship pool the following offseason.
I’d like to read something to that effect from the league for clarification. It just doesn’t seem right from the aspect of competitive balance. But maybe in addition to being able to acquire gold packages from other teams, Kitchener and London can sign three picks per year to gold packages.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’d like to read something to that effect from the league for clarification. It just doesn’t seem right from the aspect of competitive balance. But maybe in addition to being able to acquire gold packages from other teams, Kitchener and London can sign three picks per year to gold packages.

The scholarship is nullified. I can’t see why a player with a nullified Scholarship has a scholarship that counts towards the Gold Packages when there is no scholarship. I would imagine this aspect is calculated into the total number of packages a team can have active. Why seven? Why not eight (2 per season). I can see why it is seven and not eight because most teams will have an early pick signed to an NHL contract nullifying his scholarship. Only the best players get them which means they are more likely to be NHL draft picks. I could be wrong because I am simply applying logic to the rule but I don’t know that as fact.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Consider that it was the second pick in the USHL draft that they gave up for him. I would think that they had a 100% guarantee that he would report and play

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The scholarship is nullified. I can’t see why a player with a nullified Scholarship has a scholarship that counts towards the Gold Packages when there is no scholarship. I would imagine this aspect is calculated into the total number of packages a team can have active. Why seven? Why not eight (2 per season). I can see why it is seven and not eight because most teams will have an early pick signed to an NHL contract nullifying his scholarship. Only the best players get them which means they are more likely to be NHL draft picks. I could be wrong because I am simply applying logic to the rule but I don’t know that as fact.

I think it also comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Teams only have so much money

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it also comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Teams only have so much money

Meh. How many Gold Packages actually get paid out? You have to draft really poorly to end up paying out on a lot of those Scholarships. Most of the top players never go to school. They go on to play pro hockey and don’t look back.

If the teams want to save $$$ on scholarships, the best way to do it is with their fringe players. Don’t roster so many players. If they play one game in the fall and one game after Christmas, the player gets the full year tuition paid. Those are the players most likely to actually use their scholarship.

If we take a look at Ottawa, Barlas is most likely to use his Scholarship. I highly doubt Mews would. Marrelli might but he is likely to play Pro. We will see how the two draft picks turn out but Amidovski has a Pro body and skill. Pinelli may have a Gold Package but he signed an NHL deal. Whitehead may have one. If all of those guys have Gold Packages, only maybe two or three of the seven will use their scholarship. Even if they do, not many stay the full four years.

It is guys like Sirman who go play CIS for four years and use their scholarship opportunity.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
Great win by Austria today over Norway improving their country's chances to make it to the quarters at the WHC. Marco Rossi had three assists today. Vinny Rohrer nearly scored in the third but was well defended by the Norwegian player. I saw a Austrian fan wearing a well known familiar jersey.

Attachments

• 20240519_123112.jpg
    20240519_123112.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: NoQuit67s and OMG67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

EDIT:

i dont think it was, he would have signed before the ushl draft to give ceder rapids the pick back, as far as everyone is told, hes a ushl guy for this year and then they see

Reactions: Section5Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad