Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Is the SN Oiler hate really because the Leafs didn't get Mcdavid? It's absolutely gross
As we know, Toronto is the center of the earth--just like the earth was the center of the solar system before Galileo showed up.

Dallas is a lot better than the 2022 version of the Flames.

Its actually hard to identify a weakness on this Dallas team.
They are deep but can be beat. Oiler goaltending will again be the issue but Otter has his bad days too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are deep but can be beat. Oiler goaltending will again be the issue but Otter has his bad days too.
I agree that they can be beat but they are a step up from Vancouver for sure IMO.
I think the one thing I am really curious to see is how Connor does against Dallas because they wont be playing him as tough as Vancouver did.
I see this series as more of a skill vs skill series compared to the Canucks series which was more of a grind. That should benefit Connor.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They as a team didn’t, Skinner however did the first four games. Swap goalies and the Oilers probably sweep Van or give them a gentleman’s sweep. Games 6 & 7, Skinner looked much more composed but also didn’t have a large body of work to deal with.

The thing that scared me about Van was their heavy forecheck and transition. Plus they don’t give up. The Oilers gave them a crack in the wall in the third and they almost broke through it. Whatever Skinner did to hit the reset button he needs to keep doing that. Dallas is beatable.
The Oilers definitely had the better of the play overall in this series and it shouldn't have gone 7 but I'm talking about outside perception (mainly from fanboys) that the Oilers struggled with Vancouver so, naturally, they'll be stomped by Dallas.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
I know. But we are a much worse team than we were that year in the playoffs too.
Cyclone. My friend. I’ve always been curious at your position on the team.

Each fan can cheer in their own way so you be you. Your view on the oilers is like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Who knows what happens in this series!!! Just be happy for the series win and come have fun. It’s hard to make the conference finals and we are here baby. Let’s go!!!!

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
As we know, Toronto is the center of the earth--just like the earth was the center of the solar system before Galileo showed up.
I live a few hours east of Toronto and I can't say I've run into many bad leafs fans. The ones I talk to are usually very complimentary of the Oilers and really just wish their team was better.

I guess in person can be different too when there's no screen to hide behind.

Cyclone. My friend. I’ve always been curious at your position on the team.

Each fan can cheer in their own way so you be you. Your view on the oilers is like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Who knows what happens in this series!!! Just be happy for the series win and come have fun. It’s hard to make the conference finals and we are here baby. Let’s go!!!!
Maybe it's a shield to protect from the hurt. I do understand that but yeah when it's usually negative you start to wonder a bit for sure

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I live a few hours east of Toronto and I can't say I've run into many bad leafs fans. The ones I talk to are usually very complimentary of the Oilers and really just wish their team was better.

I guess in person can be different too when there's no screen to hide behind.

Maybe it's a shield to protect from the hurt. I do understand that but yeah when it's usually negative you start to wonder a bit for sure
My post was in jest. My wife is from Ontario about 2 hours north of Toronto. Please don't show her what I said.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree that they can be beat but they are a step up from Vancouver for sure IMO.
I think the one thing I am really curious to see is how Connor does against Dallas because they wont be playing him as tough as Vancouver did.
I see this series as more of a skill vs skill series compared to the Canucks series which was more of a grind. That should benefit Connor.

Having a couple days of rest should help the players who got sick like Connor.
My goodness, his voice was kaboosh during the post game interview last night.
I expect to see a better Connor in the Dallas series. Tanev will definitely be on ice to attempt to shut him down though. Will be a hard matchup, but I'm hoping we can win in 6/7 games. Preferably 6, since I already felt like I aged an extra 10 years last night.

Reactions: McTedi

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Dallas is the superior team just like Calgary was in 2022
What?

Tell me you haven't watched the Stars.

Dangerous opponent. Challenge level they are better than Vegas last year who won cup and not as good as the AV's team that won cup. But they beat both of those clubs and did it fairly convincingly and deserving to win both of those series. They have done it without Hakanpaa who has been out entire playoffs and is day to day and set to return. Hintz also set to return being day to day. Other injuries have also hampered them. They got Marcment back and he's basically like a Dakota Joshua except he's good and can score.

Stars are deep and players like Seguin and Benn that are often quiet are on. Dallas tend to go places when they get contributions from their Older players. But their younger one. Wyatt Johnson is redhot.

Dallas D are allstar level.

The Stars are a club that have been to the finals, have been to the conference finals. How on Earth are they like Calgary?

I'll mock upstart opponents like Calgary, Vancouver, LA, the latter didn't even think they could W but Dallas are a solid team and have been around contender status for awhile.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Dallas is a lot better than the 2022 version of the Flames.

Its actually hard to identify a weakness on this Dallas team.
Dallas is a good team for sure. Need mcdrai and the supporting cast to be at their best. Still and continuously worried about our goaltending. Looking forward to the next round. The SCF would be so awesome, had a lot of good memories from our cup run in 2006. Go Oilers!!

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Listening to Got Yer Back on lunch break now and they're talking about line combos when Henrique returns and I gotta say, the lines look so much better now that Holloway is starting to establish himself and with Henrique in. Here is Rob Brown's lines

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Kane
McLeod (much better on wing)-Henrique-Foegele
Janmark-Ryan-Carrick

That's a good looking lineup. The fact that Brown, who has been really good in my mind, is the 13th forward speaks to the depth of this team. I'd have Brown in over Ryan personally but I certainly have no issue with Ryan being in there either.

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
What?

Tell me you haven't watched the Stars.

Dangerous opponent. Challenge level they are better than Vegas last year who won cup and not as good as the AV's team that won cup. But they beat both of those clubs and did it fairly convincingly and deserving to win both of those series. They have done it without Hakanpaa who has been out entire playoffs and is day to day and set to return. Hintz also set to return being day to day. Other injuries have also hampered them. They got Marcment back and he's basically like a Dakota Joshua except he's good and can score.

Stars are deep and players like Seguin and Benn that are often quiet are on. Dallas tend to go places when they get contributions from their Older players. But their younger one. Wyatt Johnson is redhot.

Dallas D are allstar level.

The Stars are a club that have been to the finals, have been to the conference finals. How on Earth are they like Calgary?

I'll mock upstart opponents like Calgary, Vancouver, LA, the latter didn't even think they could W but Dallas are a solid team and have been around contender status for awhile.
Agreed, this is a good all around team and they're a better team than the Oilers. Lucky breaks will be needed as well as a lot of guys elevating their game to have a remote chance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is weird given that the Oilers roster is predominantly Canadian born and trained players while the "Canucks" are predominantly American born and trained.

What rubbed me the wrong way is what JT Miller said in an interview post game 4: "...we deserved to win." Sure the Canucks won but that is one game and they blew the next two. No need for this arrogance and show less arrogance given your Canadian market....

;) How does Miller figure they deserved to W. They were outplayed in 6/7 games in series.

• Love
Reactions: gretzkyoilers

popo

Aug 9, 2005
Felt like Darnell Nurse was on the ice for every goal against that series. Looking at the stats, he sits at a - by far - a team worst -10.
Blame Ceci for Nurse's performance all you want, Ceci was better game 7. Why can Kulak babysit him better than Nurse can?

My main observation with Nurse is that he must have blocked a shot successfully at some point, and now plays his game like he is the goalie. Every shift he is focused exclusively on his shot blocking form. Blocking a shot is great, but not at the expense of winning position battles in front of the net, tying up your opponent from scoring on a rebound, or generally being upright instead of doing a snow angel on the ice.
I think Nurse can be much better - and hopefully will be in the next round.

Reactions: Canovin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Having a couple days of rest should help the players who got sick like Connor.
My goodness, his voice was kaboosh during the post game interview last night.
I expect to see a better Connor in the Dallas series. Tanev will definitely be on ice to attempt to shut him down though. Will be a hard matchup, but I'm hoping we can win in 6/7 games. Preferably 6, since I already felt like I aged an extra 10 years last night.
I thought that Connors voice was like that just from yelling.
In the Locker room well after the game his voice sounded fine.

I completely agree with the bolded and a better Connor is a big deal.

This is going to fun. :D

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Felt like Darnell Nurse was on the ice for every goal against that series. Looking at the stats, he sits at a - by far - a team worst -10.
Blame Ceci for Nurse's performance all you want, Ceci was better game 7. Why can Kulak babysit him better than Nurse can?

My main observation with Nurse is that he must have blocked a shot successfully at some point, and now plays his game like he is the goalie. Every shift he is focused exclusively on his shot blocking form. Blocking a shot is great, but not at the expense of winning position battles in front of the net, tying up your opponent from scoring on a rebound, or generally being upright instead of doing a snow angel on the ice.
I think Nurse can be much better - and hopefully will be in the next round.
Good points and Ceci has been much better with Kulak. He played his best game of the playoffs in game 7.
Sometimes its all about styles though and Nurse is a hard dman to play with IMO.
You just never know what Nurse is going to do and if I was his D partner I would find that very nerve racking.
I do agree though that Nurse needs to be better. I just dont trust his reads far too much of the time.
I really question his hockey IQ.
Maybe if he would just focus entirely on defence and start making the proper reads...that would be a good start.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Add special teams in there, and I don't hate our chances, and I think the word "steamrolled" is getting thrown around far too liberally.

Absolutely. They won 3 more games this year than we did. And that’s despite going 3-9-1 with Woodcroft. Knoblauch’s pace would have seen us tied with New York for the most wins in the league, 3 ahead of Dallas. It’s 2 very good teams this series

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Listening to Got Yer Back on lunch break now and they're talking about line combos when Henrique returns and I gotta say, the lines look so much better now that Holloway is starting to establish himself and with Henrique in. Here is Rob Brown's lines

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Draisaitl-Kane
McLeod (much better on wing)-Henrique-Foegele
Janmark-Ryan-Carrick

That's a good looking lineup. The fact that Brown, who has been really good in my mind, is the 13th forward speaks to the depth of this team. I'd have Brown in over Ryan personally but I certainly have no issue with Ryan being in there either.
Brown has not been really good. He hasn't been even adequate. The "he'll make some amends in playoffs hasn't showed either. The only player worse has been Perry who is paying for it by being out of lineup.

The depth hasn't been that great either. Ryan, Foegele have been underwhelming as well.

Reactions: elmeroil

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good points and Ceci has been much better with Kulak. He played his best game of the playoffs in game 7.
Sometimes its all about styles though and Nurse is a hard dman to play with IMO.
You just never know what Nurse is going to do and if I was his D partner I would find that very nerve racking.
I do agree though that Nurse needs to be better. Maybe if he would just focus entirely on defence and start making the proper reads...that would be a good start.
Nurse doesn't have an identity at the moment. He doesn't know what his playstyle is anymore. He doesn't play like a mean SOB, no more fights, he's not even strong, can't eliminate guys in front of the net, still clueless when he enters the O zone. He can't seem to pick one and stick to it. He wants to be great at everything and ends up sucking at all aspects and it's hurting his game.

Now he's playing like a overpaid #5 D

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Biggest worries are probably the same as the majority. It'll be hard to hide our 2nd and 3rd D pairs against a deeper team. Canucks and Kings were pretty shallow forward groups. And of course, Skinner will definitely be tested consistently throughout the series. Gonna need multiple huge games from him.

One positive is our top guys shouldn't be pounded and crosschecked constantly by massive dmen while the refs look the other way. Maybe can get a little more done 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad