Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
This feels so much like the Colorado series 2 years ago where we are just happy to be here and I think it’ll go pretty much the same way.

Dallas has better goaltending, deeper defence and a much deeper forward group. If McDavid plays like he did this series it’ll be a quick 4. If McDavid heals, gets better or whatever, we stand a chance to win a few games.
Why do you even cheer for the Oilers if you hate them so much

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
This is weird given that the Oilers roster is predominantly Canadian born and trained players while the "Canucks" are predominantly American born and trained.

What rubbed me the wrong way is what JT Miller said in an interview post game 4: "...we deserved to win." Sure the Canucks won but that is one game and they blew the next two. No need for this arrogance and show less arrogance given your Canadian market....
Guy seems like an incredibly douche ala doughty. Always yelling at players on his own team. Silly pink shirt antics because he wants to be seen as a leader. Leaks how he texted tocchet to say he played bad.

There are people that are leaders and there are people that want to be perceived as a leader.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
What we need is another cast member from Wedding Crashers or Old School to go to the Stars games and cheer for the Stars. Seems to work well for the Oilers!
I'm actually hoping for Ben Stiller to show up in a Stars jersey. Make it a Zoolander hockey hat trick donkey punch of Mugatu, Hansel, and Mr. Blue Steel.

Last edited:
Reactions: elmeroil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Goals in the Canucks series came primarily at 5x5. That may change in the Dallas series.

The Stars have been extremely underwhelming on the PK. So far they are at 69%. With the Oilers PP (37.5%) being as good as it is (and also having a bit of a drought against the Canucks) the Stars could be just to tonic for the Oilers PP.
Additionally the Oilers PK is at 91.4% and the Stars are at 29% on the PP so the Oilers have a decided advantage there as well.
If the Oilers can maintain the success they had at 5x5 against the Canucks in this series and they can get a few on the PP they can definitely win this.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Dallas is legit. However I find people always sleep on the Pacific Division.
Yeah we know but the oil are legit too Dallas is. It as good as people are trying to say. Winnable series but will take a full effort. Our depth especially if henrique returns is being ignore , just people pushing narratives

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stars look a bit “low intensity” in their games. Completely structured with high end execution though. But I think with the requisite emotion and energy we can overcome any differences in roster depth. Will need everyone to up their level though. Main culprits being Foegele, Mcleod, Perry (if he gets back in), Brown, Nurse, Ceci. If these guys can up their level we can match their depth. And from there McDrai will push us over the top cause they shit all over the Benn/Seguins of the world.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Stars look a bit “low intensity” in their games. Completely structured with high end execution though. But I think with the requisite emotion and energy we can overcome any differences in roster depth. Will need everyone to up their level though. Main culprits being Foegele, Mcleod, Perry (if he gets back in), Brown, Nurse, Ceci. If these guys can up their level we can match their depth. And from there McDrai will push us over the top cause they shit all over the Benn/Seguins of the world.

There is high risk of galaxy braining this decision and I really hope it doesn't end up being the case.

"Perry has been here before, he can provide a presence on the bench, etc"

No. Just no. Please no. Especially against the speed that the Star's bottom 6 has.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So if Henrique is close to 100% you pretty much have to play him.
Who comes out?
I think that it either needs to be Brown or Ryan.
Putting Henrique at centre with McLeod and Foegele would be something I would consider.
I think that the team should keep Carrick in the lineup as well.

So the lines....

Hyman....McDavid...RNH
Kane...Draisaitl...Holloway
Foegele...Henrique...McLeod
Janmark....Carrick...Ryan/Brown

Maybe Ryan gets the nod because he is a Centre as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dallas is legit. However I find people always sleep on the Pacific Division.
No kidding, the Pacific isn’t some horses ass division and the Oilers are not a 2006 wildcard/8 seeded team who’s caught lightning in a bottle at the right time. Since the coaching change, they had what, .720 win percentage or something like that?

As I’ve said before, Knoblauch has an amazing mind for the game and can see things and adapt the team to it. I don’t expect anything less this series and the team will be ready to go.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So if Henrique is close to 100% you pretty much have to play him.
Who comes out?
I think that it either needs to be Brown or Ryan.
Putting Henrique at centre with McLeod and Foegele would be something I would consider.
I think that the team should keep Carrick in the lineup as well.

So the lines....

Hyman....McDavid...RNH
Kane...Draisaitl...Holloway
Foegele...Henrique...McLeod
Janmark....Carrick...Ryan/Brown

Maybe Ryan gets the nod because he is a Centre as well.

I think Ryan has been nothing short of outstanding in this playoff, as far as I'm concerned his position should be cemented until there is a reason to think otherwise.

I don't dislike Carrick, but I'm not seeing what he brings that necessitates his presence in the lineup. Would probably keep Brown in over him too.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't hate our top 6 vs Dallas' top 6. The tough part will be matching up with whichever line Dallas doesn't use against McDavid's line and Draisaitl's line. One of our bottom 6 lines will likely have to go head to head alot with some pretty good offensive players.

Glad that Dallas doesn't really have any 225+ lb brutes on D though. They have a great team, but I think the challenge will be more skill than physicality for the Oilers this series,

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Ryan has been nothing short of outstanding in this playoff, as far as I'm concerned his position should be cemented until there is a reason to think otherwise.

I don't dislike Carrick, but I'm not seeing what he brings that necessitates his presence in the lineup. Would probably keep Brown in over him too.
For me Carrick played solid the last two games and he gives the 4th line some much needed sandpaper.
Tough to argue your point about Ryan. He has been excellent but he is 37 years old and prone to getting worn down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad