Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
What's the record against Dallas during the regular season? I recall they won at least one game.

The Canucks play a certain type of stingy defensive system that gives us fits. That IMO is why we had such a tough series against them. Also Van had a goaltender standing on his head, they also seemed to have an abnormal amount of lucky bounces go their way.

The Stars IMO are not nearly as good as last years Knights, or the prior years Av. This is the easiest path to the final Mcdrai has had. I think we beat the Stars, maybe even a little easier than the Nucks.

Im truly worried about the two teams in the East though. If I had to pick now honestly and unbiased they have been the two best teams in hockey this year, they are the two best teams remaining and one of them would win the cup.
That and they skate really well, along with having some skilled players that can capitalize on mistakes. Canucks was the team I hoped the OIlers would avoid. But well, they beat the Queen and the rest of the orcas.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gotta get the Connors going.

McDavid has been so quiet and not so speedy lately.
But Brown had his chance. Just could not get it up to score!

While I don’t expect to win this series, I hope we give Dallas a hell of a fight. 6 or 7 games and I’ll be happy as an Oilers fan tbh
I think the odds are pretty even. Could go either way. Dallas won the west, the Oilers were probably the best team after the first twenty games.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cyclone. My friend. I’ve always been curious at your position on the team.

Each fan can cheer in their own way so you be you. Your view on the oilers is like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Who knows what happens in this series!!! Just be happy for the series win and come have fun. It’s hard to make the conference finals and we are here baby. Let’s go!!!!
I am very much like Eeyore when it comes to the team. They have let us as a fanbase down more than I can count.
So I take a realist/negative approach. We aren’t a bad team, not by any stretch. We have some bad players and an all time bad playoff goalie.
Now could we magically win the cup, sure.
Could I just sit here after every loss or win and say “Oilers best team” I mean sure. But that’s not me.

To others, I never meant to imply the team is happy to be here, I meant more as a fan or fanbase even losing in round 3 is impressive from how the team is constructed and how the year started.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Do they though? With one dman out, they had Alex Petrovic come in and he’s played one NHL game since he played for us in 2018. Just compare dmen. With Bouch’s emergence, I’d definitely argue we have the better, and deeper defense

Bouchard = Heiskanen
Ekholm > Harley
Nurse > Lindell
Ceci < Tanev
Kulak = Suter
Desharnais => Hakanpaa
Stecher > Petrovic

Much like the Vancouver series, Dallas has the better goaltending and bottom 6, and we have the better top 6 and defense.
Our top pairing is a little better.
Lindell is substantially better than Nurse in the playoffs.
He has averaged 5 minutes more a game 5v5, has much better expected goals numbers too.
Lindell has played nearly 50 more minutes 5v5 than Nurse and has been on the ice for 6 goals less.
Tanev is also miles better than Ceci.
Suter has also played more minutes than Kulak with worse offensive numbers but better defensive. They are a wash.
Desharnais is better than Petrovic but if Hakanpaa is healthy he is better.

So really our top pairs are close, their middle pair is light years better than ours and the bottom pair is in our favour unless Hakanpaa gets healthy.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Did Bieksa just call out Elliott Friedman for his Oilers hate and predict an Oilers win in game 1?

Dallas is a good team, but they are no 2022 Colorado Avelanche, who was one of the best teams in the cap era. Dallas is getting wildly overrated. They're good, but they aren't that good.
Please link me to this.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I am very much like Eeyore when it comes to the team. They have let us as a fanbase down more than I can count.
So I take a realist/negative approach. We aren’t a bad team, not by any stretch. We have some bad players and an all time bad playoff goalie.
Could I just sit here after every loss or win and say “Oilers best team” I mean sure. But that’s not me.

To others, I never meant to imply the team is happy to be here, I meant more as a fan or fanbase even losing in round 3 is impressive from how the team is constructed and how the year started.
LOL. Talking like you are just a fan who isn’t a homer is hilarious.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada

Your a bad cornflakes guy. Lots are

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It’s funny because TSN used to be this way but if you look on their app/site it’s all Oilers related. Goes to show SN sure switched loyalties after they got the contract because it used to be the opposite.

TSN isn't great but they were a million times better in actually acknowledging the Oilers last series. I actually watch their videos post game, but then again, they actually put some effort into their hi-lites unlike Sportsnet.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Way people are talking about this series you'd think the Oilers squeaked in as the last wildcard and Dallas won the league going away, meanwhile the Stars had exactly one more regulation win than the Oilers this season. This should be a great series provided Skinner doesn't melt down.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
If this team has truly been sick and we are seeing the upswing then we could be smiling in the future. I genuinely hope that was the case, because a couple of those games they looked like dog shit.

Really hoping for a big McDavid series, specifically goals.
I'm hoping the same thing. McDavid was clearly under the weather in games 6 and 7 (you could hear it in his voice), but still effective. If Holloway continues to step up, and the McDavid/Drai line are both rolling, I think we're a really dangerous team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Way people are talking about this series you'd think the Oilers squeaked in as the last wildcard and Dallas won the league going away, meanwhile the Stars had exactly one more regulation win than the Oilers this season. This should be a great series provided Skinner doesn't melt down.
If Skinner doesn’t melt down and Nurse and Ceci can remember how to play defence we stand a chance.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008

Get help

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

Thanks for your perspective. I get a better sense of where your head is at.

I don’t know you in person but I can envision someone that watches the games in excitement and enjoys the wins but struggles to see past this teams flaws.

You do you man. And cheer how you want to cheer.

Let’s go Oilers!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad