Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What's the record against Dallas during the regular season? I recall they won at least one game.

That and they skate really well, along with having some skilled players that can capitalize on mistakes. Canucks was the team I hoped the OIlers would avoid. But well, they beat the Queen and the rest of the orcas.
I think over the last 3 seasons our record against Dallas is around .500. It's probably going to be a 6-7 game series.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
TSN isn't great but they were a million times better in actually acknowledging the Oilers last series. I actually watch their videos post game, but then again, they actually put some effort into their hi-lites unlike Sportsnet.
Their production quality of most everything they broadcast is also of a significantly higher quality as well. Even for properties that they purchase feeds from other providers, you see them marry it to make n house TSN analysts (think F1, soccer etc.). I will not be sad to see them hopefully get a bigger slice of national and regional spots in the next NHL TV contract.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Ughhh, i hate these "happy to be wrong" posts. Grow some balls and actually root for your team to win for once.

This attitude of "hoping for a win, but expect a loss" is trash. It's just cowardly to always predict a loss then jump on the bandwagon after a win saying "I'm so happy I was wrong"

Naysayers always posting garbage then expect that people don't call them out because they're "happy to eat crow" is bullshit, especially when those same naysayers jump all over posters who try to stay positive when the Oilers are losing.

I'm hoping for an Oilers series win, and I EXPECT an Oilers series win as well.
I am so glad there’s a place like this where we have polls that give you the option to choose the other team and discussions where we might express concern the Oilers might lose a series. It’s the only way genetally challenged people like I could get identified by the true fans such as yourself who have reached a rarified air of truly cheering for the team. This will be my path to salvation I’m sure as a fan, thank you for your service.

I have a few questions, which I’m sure will seem basic to you but please, since I’m early in this journey be patient.

1. If the entire oilers team was sick or injured and replaced by an AHL team do I still predict them to win? Is there acceptable scenarios where that is ok? Just a few examples to help guide me.

2. If I do choose them to win do I need to say it’s going to be a sweep to be the true fan? Seems like that would be the ballsier move.

3. If I choose them to win, and I actually root for the team in a way that meets your approval and my balls don’t grow bigger should I do something else? Maybe calling out posters who don’t have a hive mind would help my advancement?

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your service here, it must be a true burden to deal with the bandwagon unbeliever like me. It’s only though journeys like this can I hope to be better,

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Predicting a sweep and saying you'll be happy if we even win one game is supposed to sound positive?
After the way this team started getting to the conference finals is an achievement.
Achievements are good things.

Man yall put way to much care into poll answers good god. Do I actually think we will get swept? No. Do I think we win the series, also no. Do I think we could? Absolutely. Am I happy that we got here? Yes.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
After the way this team started getting to the conference finals is an achievement.
Achievements are good things.

Man yall put way to much care into poll answers good god. Do I actually think we will get swept? No. Do I think we win the series, also no. Do I think we could? Absolutely. Am I happy that we got here? Yes.

You literally said you think we will be swept earlier in this thread lol. If you're going to be embarrassingly negative at least stand by it.

This feels so much like the Colorado series 2 years ago where we are just happy to be here and I think it’ll go pretty much the same way.

Dallas has better goaltending, deeper defence and a much deeper forward group. If McDavid plays like he did this series it’ll be a quick 4. If McDavid heals, gets better or whatever, we stand a chance to win a few games.

Reactions: capazzo

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You literally said you think we will be swept earlier in this thread lol.
I said pretty much the same way. Where we put in effort but were just outmatched.
I also said if McDavid plays as poorly as he has the last bit then it’s a loss but if he doesn’t we win a bit.
Key world, pretty much, not identical. i see this going 4/5 games.
But sure if you want to not understand what I say go ahead. Good for you.

Some of you care more about how other peoples choose to fan than what actually happens on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Game 7 early McLeod makes a hit on Hughes, a good hit, Hughes coughs up puck, and McLeod feeds Ryan in front of net. Its the 5th time he's fed somebody in front in series and no cash. He's had a few chances himself not going but been doing enough to stay in lineup.
This is a play that virtually every player in the league makes without needing mention. The fact that you’ve counted him doing it 5 times is hilarious. That you needed to post this should tell you something about this player.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
If the Oilers play well they can beat any team in the league. We just need .900 goaltending.

McLeod has been one of the better forwards this playoffs. We needed a 3C desperately and he's bought in and has been that 3C

If McLeod were to get injured it would be noticeable and our GA would go up because he's doing things we lack

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I think the Oilers really felt the pressure to best the Canucks. I'm going to say that is and will be the toughest series they will face and I think they will play surprisingly well against the Stars. And I say that even though I think the Stars have the best roster on paper.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Did the Oilers come home or did they go straight to Dallas from Vancouver?

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Did the Oilers come home or did they go straight to Dallas from Vancouver?
I feel like it would be more beneficial to go straight to Dallas. It avoids excessive travel and any sick players can spend the next two days recovering.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Overhaul the third line, please. Starts with Ryan Mcleod. I liked our fourth line's play as of late, will keep it the same for now.

GO OILERS GO

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ OILERS, TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ
No- you don’t touch McLeod. I know fans here hate him because he isn’t physical- but the fact is- he wasn’t on the ice for a goal against until game 5 of the Vancouver series. He’s excellent at shutting down whoever he plays against. Last season in the playoffs- Eichel only became a threat when Woodcroft, for some unknown reason, moved away from the Eichel/McLeod match up and went McDavid/Eichel. I’d match his line against Johnston all day everyday. He won’t score- but he won’t get scored on either

If the Oilers play well they can beat any team in the league. We just need .900 goaltending.

McLeod has been one of the better forwards this playoffs. We needed a 3C desperately and he's bought in and has been that 3C

If McLeod were to get injured it would be noticeable and our GA would go up because he's doing things we lack
100%. He’s been a wet blanket for the opposition all playoffs.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
God I hope we win game 1. Never had the series lead until game 7 was over against Van, makes it way more stressful.

Win at least one game in Dallas. I want Oilers fans to believe, “WE WANT THE CUP” needs to be roaring

Reactions: cantthinkofone

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Dont listen to the media. Oilers have been hated by the rest of the NHL for many years now its nothing new. Oilers in 6.

Reactions: Kerberos

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Screenshot 2024-05-21 172855.png

Toronto Sports Network really outdoing themselves with this one :rolleyes:

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
This feels so much like the Colorado series 2 years ago where we are just happy to be here and I think it’ll go pretty much the same way.

Dallas has better goaltending, deeper defence and a much deeper forward group. If McDavid plays like he did this series it’ll be a quick 4. If McDavid heals, gets better or whatever, we stand a chance to win a few games.
They beat the flames in a very emotional battle, Draisaitl was playing on 1 leg for 2 playoff rounds, and they had to play the Avs (much better than Dallas).

Dallas is closer to the 2019 Flames than the 2019 Avs.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Went home, unfortunately. Day off today, praccy tomorrow morning, and then flight to Dallas afterwards.

Wish they would've just went straight there.
Interesting, I guess given Vancouver is so close it just made sense to get a few nights at home. Plus they probably didn’t t like the optics of planning for a long road trip when they still needed to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad