Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Gotta say, this playoffs, like Holloway before, is starting to prove me wrong about Broberg. Granted, it's still small sample size but maybe there is still some game in this prospect.

Now XB on the other hand...
I think that Broberg will become a regular on the Oiler blueline next year. Ceci has one year left on his contract and Broberg is a good candidate to take his place after that contact expires. It doesn't mean that Broberg will ever be top pairing but he does have the tools to be an NHL caliber D-man. And its only his 3rd year in North America.

Likewise, I think Lavoie would be a good replacement for Kane down the road. Like Kane, Lavoie can contribute offensively and he's big and snarly. Kane has 2 years left on his deal and I know he has a serious injury but I don't think he'll get back to the level we saw 2 years ago. It looks like Holland is not too keen on Lavoie but Knoblauch might be able to work with him.

No matter what happens in the next few weeks the Oilers are an older team and will need some younger legs in the next few seasons. Salary cap issues are also a challenge.

If Drai leaves for Boston then there will be a big reset coming. As always, it will be an interesting off-season.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think that Broberg will become a regular on the Oiler blueline next year. Ceci has one year left on his contract and Broberg is a good candidate to take his place after that contact expires. It doesn't mean that Broberg will ever be top pairing but he does have the tools to be an NHL caliber D-man. And its only his 3rd year in North America.

Likewise, I think Lavoie would be a good replacement for Kane down the road. Like Kane, Lavoie can contribute offensively and he's big and snarly. Kane has 2 years left on his deal and I know he has a serious injury but I don't think he'll get back to the level we saw 2 years ago. It looks like Holland is not too keen on Lavoie but Knoblauch might be able to work with him.

No matter what happens in the next few weeks the Oilers are an older team and will need some younger legs in the next few seasons. Salary cap issues are also a challenge.

If Drai leaves for Boston then there will be a big reset coming. As always, it will be an interesting off-season.
Unless they intend to make Kulak's switch to the right side permanent I think he'd be out before Ceci.

Which is a shame as I like the player, but they just have to open up some room on LD next season.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Imagine if we dumped Broberg as a sweetener. Crazy how all these comments are all on bashing. This is a young kid learning the ropes and let's dump him. I don't recall guys like Ekholm and Josi setting the world on fire at a young age.

I think Knob should inject Lavoie into the lineup and see what other magic we've got in the system.

FTFY

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Imagine if we dumped Broberg as a sweetener. Crazy how all these comments are all on bashing. This is a young kid learning the ropes and let's dump him. I don't recall guys like Ekholm and Josi setting the world on fire at a young age.

I think Knob should inject Bourgeault into the lineup and see what other magic we've got in the system.

Really great to see Broberg step up in Conference Championship play especially after no game time for about a month. Calm, controlled game with efficient puck retrievals; smart, simple zone exit work with puck transporting and short, crisp passing. Jumping into the rush with confidence against the Final Four opposition and wiring a perfect shot for a big goal.

The sum of Broberg's great raw toolkit have been on display these past two games. All coming together after a much needed reset in Bako to build up crushed confidence and nurture a learning development with huge all situational ice and environment where he could survive any youthful mistakes without missing shifts or games.

Have posted a ton on this player since his draft selection. Nice to see Broberg's raw abilities begin to come together at a critical time in which his team has needed a nudge.

He looks more confident and faster during these games than he ever has before.

He's finally looking like hes one of the better skaters on the team.
I could talk sample size blah blah blah but he has looked great out there. Kahun has it. At the NHL level his decision making makes his skating seem mundane. Right now he actually looks like the good skater he was drafted to be.

Night and day difference. He looks great out there playing in one of the biggest stages he can be on.

Reactions: Oilhawks

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'm not arguing against that, I'm just saying this fan base is always quick to call busts, sometimes it takes time, plus Bourgault isn't a top-10 pick like the other 2 either.

I think with XB, its combination of what other players we couldve taken [F U Tyler Wright] and the fact he's seemingly regressed.

Like Holloway, both guys have had injury problems. But Holloway's production kept getting better albeit fewer games [due to injury]; XB's numbers didnt.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think with XB, its combination of what other players we couldve taken [F U Tyler Wright] and the fact he's seemingly regressed.

Like Holloway, both guys have had injury problems. But Holloway's production kept getting better albeit fewer games [due to injury]; XB's numbers didnt.
Haven't, but again, I don't disagree, just pointing out how thing can go slowly.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I could talk sample size blah blah blah but he has looked great out there. Kahun has it. At the NHL level his decision making makes his skating seem mundane. Right now he actually looks like the good skater he was drafted to be.

Night and day difference. He looks great out there playing in one of the biggest stages he can be on.
Haha. This is a coaching staff who never saw him in game action taking insight on a guy that hadn't played in like a month and having the nuts to insert him into a deadlocked Conference Final. The also critical deployment decision was to insert Broberg into his natural LD and moving the veteran NHL defenseman to play off-shooting side.

Broberg's had a solid NHL sample size with Bouchard and played on his natural LD side. 10 games 66% CF, 77 GF%, 73 XGF%, 80 HDCF% with 3rd pairing minutes. The trouble has been trying to force a young, inexperienced d-man into a winning window team on his off-shooting side.

Great coaching fix to improve their defense with a long, toolsy young d-man who's delivered great depth minutes (and a goal) by deploying him to his strength. The finally proper development work has paid off with Broberg contributing confidently with smart play defensively with retrievals, puck transportation, and outlets and joining the rush. His processor is just fine.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Gotta say, this playoffs, like Holloway before, is starting to prove me wrong about Broberg. Granted, it's still small sample size but maybe there is still some game in this prospect.

Now XB on the other hand...
Has anyone ever taken the time to break down XB's line mates. I watched a guy on Youtube and he said XB looks great when put with quailty line mates. I forget who he was so I am not sure if he was legit

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Unless they intend to make Kulak's switch to the right side permanent I think he'd be out before Ceci.

Which is a shame as I like the player, but they just have to open up some room on LD next season.

I think that will be the plan. If he's the partner that works best with Nurse so far, then you keep him. No reason to overthink it.

The question is going to be, do you try and move Ceci to re-sign Vinny? Imo yes, it's a no brainer.
Especially if you think Broberg can eventually grow in the role Kulak is currently playing with Nurse.
Kulak-Vinny has been an outstanding bottom pairing whenever they're together.

Plus we have seen Broberg-Vinny for a few months before at the NHL level (pre-Ekholm), and they kept their heads above water. So I've got no major concerns there as the initial setup.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Kulak/Broberg
Kulak/Broberg-Vinny
Cheap vet #7

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think that will be the plan. If he's the partner that works best with Nurse so far, then you keep him. No reason to overthink it.

The question is going to be, do you try and move Ceci to re-sign Vinny? Imo yes, it's a no brainer.
Especially if you think Broberg can eventually grow in the role Kulak is currently playing with Nurse.
Kulak-Vinny has been an outstanding bottom pairing whenever they're together.

Plus we have seen Broberg-Vinny for a few months before at the NHL level (pre-Ekholm), and they kept their heads above water. So I've got no major concerns there as the initial setup.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Kulak/Broberg
Kulak/Broberg-Vinny
Cheap vet #7
Trading Ceci seems like such an obvious move for the next GM.

It frees up both cap and a roster spot for an entirely replaceable player.

Question is who would take him, but maybe with a deep playoff run his value goes up enough.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Broberg era has finally begun. Can’t believe I’m saying this. But I shouldn’t be that surprised, the moment i saw how effective Coffey was at coaching D I thought we must give him a shot at working with Broberg.

Already paying dividends as Broberg had a couple of missed outlets in game 5 that Coffey pumped him up on bench to stabilize that part of his game.

But not much was needed by Coffey in these 2 games overall. Broberg was completely solid, and really showcased his elite skating. It’s a deceptive type of speed to me anyways in that his legs aren’t moving a mile a minute like McDavid, they are long powerful strides that look effortless in getting him to top speed. McDavid saying in his post game: “his legs are a gift”. Boy are they ever.

He’s also really thickened up. Looks huge out there. Used to be a bit of a beanpole but now that’s he’s filled out that combination of size and speed is going to super effective in the NHL.

All that needs to come now is for him to build his Hockey Iq with reps in the big leagues. Expedite that learning with Ekholm mentorship and we are on our way to yet another impact Oiler.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Trading Ceci seems like such an obvious move for the next GM.

It frees up both cap and a roster spot for an entirely replaceable player.

Question is who would take him, but maybe with a deep playoff run his value goes up enough.

Utah has only 1 D signed for next season and is looking for decent enough experienced D on only 1 or 2 year deals around league average per Seravalli. So is Buffalo. Ceci going on 3 long playoff runs makes him very marketable to certain teams like them especially if the cost is low.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Has anyone ever taken the time to break down XB's line mates. I watched a guy on Youtube and he said XB looks great when put with quailty line mates. I forget who he was so I am not sure if he was legit
Stauffer said XB looked like absolute shit when he saw him. Also said Broberg was by far the best guy on the ice in the same game. By a mile.
One game but……

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Why’s this been floating around? Surely Boston will be at long last falling off a cliff any season now and can’t imagine they have blue chips stewing in the minors when they’ve been that good for that long
I think one of the biggest reasons that the media is floating this is because the Bruins will have significant cap space in 2025-26 and of course Pasternak keeps mentioning it. It certainly doesn't mean that he's going to Boston but there's no guarantee he'll re-sign with the Oilers.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

I agree with him fwiw. The way XB has been handled is very poor. Look at spring training, when he had a chance to skate with high IQ players, he outproduced his AHL rates, and against better players. He had a better camp than Lavoie despite being younger and taking some time to find his footing imo

If XB is given a shot in the NHL everyone might be wondering where the offense has come from. He is smart AF, a detailed two way player, has filthy mitts, and can make fast plays with no space, its a very translatable skillset to the NHL, but he can't really skate in the bottom six so his shot is likely on another team imo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I agree with him fwiw. The way XB has been handled is very poor. Look at spring training, when he had a chance to skate with high IQ players, he outproduced his AHL rates, and against better players. He had a better camp than Lavoie despite being younger and taking some time to find his footing imo

If XB is given a shot in the NHL everyone might be wondering where the offense has come from. He is smart AF, a detailed two way player, has filthy mitts, and can make fast plays with no space, its a very translatable skillset to the NHL, but he can't really skate in the bottom six so his shot is likely on another team imo
XB spent extended periods with really skilled guys by AHL standards down in Bako.

He spent over a month on the 1st line and was getting outscored by players on the fourth line during that stretch.

I don’t think NHL linemates would do much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad