Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Broberg is a transition D and so we shouldn't expect him to show specialized skills like a great shot or physical edge. Like Klefbom, if he develops right he would just be a smart Dman who is in the right spots and makes simple passes.

I see his slowness as hesitancy. He is thinking through plays too long. Imo that problem will go away over time. The fact that he is thinking a lot might pay off as he learns more about the NHL game.

I'm not a Broberg fan boy or anything. He is reminding me a bit of Griffin Reinhart in that hesitancy. But, that doesn't mean Broberg ends the same way.

That's a great breakdown actually, and it does point to Broberg being a good complement to the D. Some caution to balance out the gamblers
Reinhart's slowness wasn't thinking hesitancy. It was because he was a slow skater.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I’m not a Broberg hater by any means, but for me he just isn’t aggressive enough.

from what I see of him, I think he’s a fringe NHLer.

• Haha
Reactions: McTonyBrar

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Think with his demotion this needs a bump.

Terrible pick at the time. Terrible pick right now. Still hope he can pull a Klefbom and just put it together out of the blue. Every day that goes by the chance of that decreases.

I don't prescribe to the sell high philosophy. It's next to impossible to truly figure that out.

But.

If Holland wasn't married to this pick I think we coulda/shoulda/would of been able to use him as an excellent sweetener to get a legitimate upgrade somewhere in our line up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The berries are not brewing. They have gone moldy.

20220809-modly-blackberries-lede.jpg

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Really nice to see the kid get a big one, and play a few trusted minutes.
Started the game pretty shaky with his first shift... but was solid again after that. Great to see young players like him and Holloway contributing so well in this run so far. That Holloway blocked shot at the end was all heart and effort. This is what you need to go all the way.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Started the game pretty shaky with his first shift... but was solid again after that. Great to see young players like him and Holloway contributing so well in this run so far. That Holloway blocked shot at the end was all heart and effort. This is what you need to go all the way.
Yes, was so impressed by that Hollaway block. That is a sign he is being indoctrinated into a system of winning and what it takes, and is buying in.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Think with his demotion this needs a bump.

Terrible pick at the time. Terrible pick right now. Still hope he can pull a Klefbom and just put it together out of the blue. Every day that goes by the chance of that decreases.

I don't prescribe to the sell high philosophy. It's next to impossible to truly figure that out.

But.

If Holland wasn't married to this pick I think we coulda/shoulda/would of been able to use him as an excellent sweetener to get a legitimate upgrade somewhere in our line up.
Imagine if we dumped Broberg as a sweetener. Crazy how all these comments are all on bashing. This is a young kid learning the ropes and let's dump him. I don't recall guys like Ekholm and Josi setting the world on fire at a young age.

I think Knob should inject Bourgeault into the lineup and see what other magic we've got in the system.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Really great to see Broberg step up in Conference Championship play especially after no game time for about a month. Calm, controlled game with efficient puck retrievals; smart, simple zone exit work with puck transporting and short, crisp passing. Jumping into the rush with confidence against the Final Four opposition and wiring a perfect shot for a big goal.

The sum of Broberg's great raw toolkit have been on display these past two games. All coming together after a much needed reset in Bako to build up crushed confidence and nurture a learning development with huge all situational ice and environment where he could survive any youthful mistakes without missing shifts or games.

Have posted a ton on this player since his draft selection. Nice to see Broberg's raw abilities begin to come together at a critical time in which his team has needed a nudge.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I don't think you can overstate the importance of playing young players in the playoffs. These games will do wonders for his career. His confidence already looks sky high, it was good that he wasn't jerked around and management just let him run the top pair in the AHL. There was a play where he spun off one forechecker in the D zone, skated smoothly past another, passed it to Mcdavid and drove the net to make space for a shot. A guy who's not confident and playing not to make mistakes goes glass and out there, but he created a potential chance from his skating alone. There may be a player here yet.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He looks more confident and faster during these games than he ever has before.

He's finally looking like hes one of the better skaters on the team.
The linesman called a routine icing, then realized that 86 guy was already there. lol

The panel was lamenting how that was an early icing call. Speed does that. Coffey must be doing stoic cartwheels thinking how he gets to teach this kid next year.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
The linesman called a routine icing, then realized that 86 guy was already there. lol

The panel was lamenting how that was an early icing call. Speed does that. Coffey must be doing stoic cartwheels thinking how he gets to teach this kid next year.
Is Coffey staying on as a coach or is he going back to more of a management role next year?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Is Coffey staying on as a coach or is he going back to more of a management role next year?
No idea. It will be hard for him to walk away, IMO.

So many young and very promising D-men to teach on the Oilers. I'd personally like to see him spend at least one more year behind the bench.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
He had a shift early, perhaps even his first, where he had a couple of weak plays in succession in the corner.

I worried he was going to come back down to earth from last game, but instead he settled right in and even scored a big goal.

Getting ahead of myself, but imagine if this guy is the next Bouch on the left side as Ekholm eventually starts to wind down.

I thought I heard this year as a coach was gonna be a one-off, but I guess we'll see.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Gotta say, this playoffs, like Holloway before, is starting to prove me wrong about Broberg. Granted, it's still small sample size but maybe there is still some game in this prospect.

Now XB on the other hand...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad