Playoff series that the Goalie stole

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
There’s a few I can think of before the 2004 lockout but not much other then Halak in 2010. Tim Thomas was fantastic in 2011 but that was also a good Bruins team. They played style that made Vancouver doubt and basically beat themselves. Even Giguire in 03 was godly but that Ducks team was well coached for the playoffs and they all bought into a system and had guys stepping up for big goals. A goalie stealing a game happens but it’s rare these days for them to steal a series.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Rask gave up only two goals for .985 Sv% in a 4 game sweep against what was supposed to be a stacked Pittsburgh team after they acquired Iggy and others at the TDL. Disco Dan's stench was all over that teams failure.

And a more personal memory, MAF for Vegas vs Winnipeg in 2018. Kept the Jets to 2 goals or less after Vegas lost game 1. Vegas had a pretty boring system, but Fleury was stopping everything that post season until he faced Washington. .977 vs LA with 2 SO, .935 vs SJS with 2 SO, and .938 vs the Jets. Then the dam broke and Washington put 20 goals up in 5 games against Vegas. Oops!

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Belfour in 2004 for the leafs. Three shutouts in the series against the sens. If he wasn't super human in that series the sens easily take it.

• Love
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I wouldn't necessarily say Bob stole the series last season vs CAR but it's noteworthy first two games Andersen had .950 and .941sv% and Canes lost both games. I think Bob was the biggest reason it was a sweep.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Shesterkin in 2022.

The Penguins had a +11 xG differential over the Rangers.

Crazy part too is he got almost bombarded out of the series too from Games 1-4. And Gallant cost them Game 3 with the pull with Georgiev conceding the weak Danton Heinen GWG. Rangers win game 3 after that pull and I'm almost positive he goes with Georgiev the rest of the series.

As for the OP, yeah there's not much besides Halak in 2010.

Reactions: torontoblood

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
CUJO when the Oilers beat the Stars in 1997
Cujo 97 ( Edm - Dal)
JS Giguere 03 (Ana - Detroit)
Patrick Lalime (every time Ottawa played Toronto) ;)
I'd argue he was just as good the next year vs Colorado too. Avs were up 3-1 after 4 games, only for Edmonton to come "roaring back" to win three straight including 2 Cujo shutouts in games 6 and 7 to close it out. He finished with a .930 save percentage, averaging 30 shots against per game.

Those were some fun times to be an Oilers fan.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I'd argue he was just as good the next year vs Colorado too. Avs were up 3-1 after 4 games, only for Edmonton to come "roaring back" to win three straight including 2 Cujo shutouts in games 6 and 7 to close it out. He finished with a .930 save percentage, averaging 30 shots against per game.

Those were some fun times to be an Oilers fan.
Game 7 Aves laid an egg. I remember it was 3-0 I think, and Cujo wasn't particularly tested.

I recall game 6 the Oilers won handily too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad