Confirmed with Link: Predators Acquire 2nd in 2025, 7th in 2024 from Tampa Bay for Ryan McDonagh 4th in 2024

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
No. Because Stamkos was never coming regardless.
And you know this how? Tampa has 5 million in cap space with only 18 forwards signed now. If anything this could have made stamkos available during free agency.

I really thought that Stamkos was going to walk before this. But he and Mac are good friends. My guess Tampa gets him at a reasonable hit now. Now if Trotz needs a defensive center Cirelli is almost certainly on the block now but 6.5 mil is a bitter pill to swallow for him.
6.5 million 40 point center is gonna be hard to move unless they retain

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1716327204254.png

Attachments

• 1716327247652.png
    1716327247652.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 2

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Wow.

McD probably enjoys the idea of a reunion and one last hurrah with TB. I understand that. He signed a contract that ideally would have saw him get to that point and only waived because they needed him too.

2nd rounder is a weak return but not when you compound the variables of salary and NTC and only going to TB, which is almost certainly true.

I feel like we are going to see Pesce and Marner at this point.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Wow.

McD probably enjoys the idea of a reunion and one last hurrah with TB. I understand that. He signed a contract that ideally would have saw him get to that point and only waived because they needed him too.

2nd rounder is a weak return but not when you compound the variables of salary and NTC and only going to TB, which is almost certainly true.

I feel like we are going to see Pesce and Marner at this point.

Well shit. That's 2/3rds of a 1st line. move O'Reilly to 2nd line?

EDIT; Nevermind, Pesce and Necas are too similar

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

"It was a request from Ryan," Trotz said Tuesday. "We talked a little bit at the end of the year. He said if there's ever an opportunity to get back to Tampa, he asked if I would explore that a little bit. So, out of respect for the type of person that (McDonagh) is, I talked to (Tampa) and we made I think a fair deal."

"To me, (the cap room) wasn't much of a factor. It was more of doing the right thing. We both talked about it, he just said what he wanted to do. It was nothing more than that. You've got to have the interest and Tampa had the interest. Fortunately it worked out, it's going to work out for both teams," Trotz said.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
And you know this how? Tampa has 5 million in cap space with only 18 forwards signed now. If anything this could have made stamkos available during free agency.

6.5 million 40 point center is gonna be hard to move unless they retain
I ageee it’s the worst contract on the roster

He’s a 3C paid as a 2C but he is the exact thing Trotz always wanted Leggy to be. If the ca in fact does go up to Bettmans predictions in two years Trotz could justify it. But you right a 40 point guy should be 3.5 to 4 mil in the current cap. But recall the 40 point players that Poile overpaid. 20 goal 20 asst is not the standard in the league now if memory serves last year there were 125 of these guys in the league. Tha works out to 4 of them for each team.

Trotz has a lot of flexibility to structure this team. It will be a interesting off season.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Cirelli constantly gets some Selke votes and I believe marner does as well. Cirelli is only 26 (soon to be 27). Novak wasn't in the nhl till 25, forsberg was a 60 point player till 26/27. Maybe he still has another gear in him. If not the defensive ability along with some offense is pretty nice. Grab him and marner and we could have a good line there with Novak/nyquist/Evangelista on the other wing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
McDonagh goes back to what he considers home ... we get a draft pick, cap space, and address the glut of LHD. It's premature to pencil anyone in before free agency but there is now a potential pathway for Stastney, Del Gaizo, or Molendyk on the left. Depending what Trotz does with Carrier or Schenn there are options for Ufko and Matier to challenge for a roster spot on the right.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would it have made more sense for us to actually take on the Cirelli or Cernak contracts instead? A 2nd round pick isn't exactly something we're short on. And TB is going to have to move a contract at some point to make room. :dunno:

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
At first, I was disappointed that we traded McDonagh at all and then more so on the light return. I loved his decision making and calmness on the ice and his off ice leadership has been noted.
But then I think of the assumption that his play will decline in the next 2 years (although his hockey IQ should stay the same), and the big contract off the books, and I don’t feel so bad.
Plenty of cash now (and draft picks) to fill in gaps of hopefully some big impact players.

Reactions: SouthNash

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Would it have made more sense for us to actually take on the Cirelli or Cernak contracts instead? A 2nd round pick isn't exactly something we're short on. And TB is going to have to move a contract at some point to make room. :dunno:
No. Cernak at a $5.2m cap hit and Cirelli at $6.5m is not the best way to spend our funds. Rather take that money and give it to a guy like Marner who's a game changer.

Reactions: wmupreds

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Guy wants to go back to a team that, two seasons ago, said "pick a place to waive your NTC for or you'll be going to the AHL" Now that's some kind of loyalty...or a very toxic abusive relationship.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No. Cernak at a $5.2m cap hit and Cirelli at $6.5m is not the best way to spend our funds. Rather take that money and give it to a guy like Marner who's a game changer.
I believe we have more than ample funds to do both. It’s more a question if it’s better to fill McDonaghs Cap space with those guys instead of overpaying a Zadorov or chasing other pricey older players though in free agency.

But of course it’s also possible that TB simply wants to keep them and has other ideas for how to make Cap space and they wouldn’t even have been available anyway.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I believe we have more than ample funds to do both. It’s more a question if it’s better to fill McDonaghs Cap space with those guys instead of overpaying a Zadorov or chasing other pricey older players though in free agency.

But of course it’s also possible that TB simply wants to keep them and has other ideas for how to make Cap space and they wouldn’t even have been available anyway.
Rumor has it they have several players that may be looking at season-long injuries...though the prognosis for game 1 of the playoffs is favorable.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
If we aren't going to accept some years of non-contention (which is perfectly understandable), I think it's long past time to take the swing at a guy like Marner. Of course, I believe it's even odds (maybe better) that Marner's "playoff woes" are overblown and/or due for a progression to his mean play, so that makes the move more palatable to me.

That of course doesn't mean that we'll actually get Marner since other teams will likely be involved, and we don't even know if he'd waive to come here, but star players in their prime come around only so often.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I like the idea of getting all of Tampa's picks. Keep 'em coming. Just like a parade on the 4th of July!

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
I think a lot of his playoff woes are over blown, he has 50 points in 57 games, Toronto's pressure cooker at work.

Forsberg has 59 points in 81 playoff games, nobody else in our history has 50 points.
Who played w/ Matthews, Tavares, Nylander...apples and oranges...9.5 max

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad