Confirmed with Link: Predators Acquire 2nd in 2025, 7th in 2024 from Tampa Bay for Ryan McDonagh 4th in 2024

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

"It was a request from Ryan," Trotz said Tuesday. "We talked a little bit at the end of the year. He said if there's ever an opportunity to get back to Tampa, he asked if I would explore that a little bit. So, out of respect for the type of person that (McDonagh) is, I talked to (Tampa) and we made I think a fair deal."

"To me, (the cap room) wasn't much of a factor. It was more of doing the right thing. We both talked about it, he just said what he wanted to do. It was nothing more than that. You've got to have the interest and Tampa had the interest. Fortunately it worked out, it's going to work out for both teams," Trotz said.
I really love Trotz; just a good man :heart:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
As a person I like that our organization has generally tried to do the right thing for guys but as someone who wants their team to win I think it’s often a poor choice. Tampa Bay was pretty ruthless with McDonagh when we acquired him in the first place and I think that’s the kind of attitude you need to have to win in the NHL.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I believe we have more than ample funds to do both. It’s more a question if it’s better to fill McDonaghs Cap space with those guys instead of overpaying a Zadorov or chasing other pricey older players though in free agency.

But of course it’s also possible that TB simply wants to keep them and has other ideas for how to make Cap space and they wouldn’t even have been available anyway.
While I like Cernak, I’d take Zadarov for the extra $800k. Also, just because you have the funds, doesn’t mean you should spend it. I also like Cirelli but not at that price tag for the production he brings.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As a person I like that our organization has generally tried to do the right thing for guys but as someone who wants their team to win I think it’s often a poor choice. Tampa Bay was pretty ruthless with McDonagh when we acquired him in the first place and I think that’s the kind of attitude you need to have to win in the NHL.
Well and you gotta wonder if that is why Tampa agreed to take him back, they know they did him dirty. Frankly I think their run is over anyways. They will be like Pittsburgh, dwindle down over the years because they have absolutely nothing in the prospect pool, and their players continue to get older and not as good. They may have a good year here or there when things just align but I think for the most part they are just going to kind of fade away.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Trotz loves him some serial winners. I wouldn't be shocked if McDs spot in the lineup isn't a guy like Alec Martinez. If they move on from Carrier, I can see one of the kids like Molendyk win a spot out of camp (he almost made it last year) But if they hold Carrier, the kids will cook one more year.

Reactions: triggrman

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Tampa may have been ruthless with him but he must not care as he asked to go back. Its still a business and RM understood that and played his role in the business. Props to GMBT in being the nice guy and doing what is right for a nice person/player and his wishes. Hopefully other players see this and like that in the Org they would like to play for and a GM they would like for.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tampa may have been ruthless with him but he must not care as he asked to go back. Its still a business and RM understood that and played his role in the business. Props to GMBT in being the nice guy and doing what is right for a nice person/player and his wishes. Hopefully other players see this and like that in the Org they would like to play for and a GM they would like for.
It's probably something that Poile and Brisebois even talked about at the time. "Hey, we're stuck on the Cap right now, would you take McD for free, we know he wants to be here in TB, but if he ever wants to come back in the future we can talk?" It feels like it was a little bit of a rental situation. And we got a couple decent years out of a decent veteran player, plus a 2nd round pick, so we can't entirely argue.

Having Tampa's GM "owing us one" and open to talk with us can also work out, I mean, look at the Jeannot trade. :sarcasm:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Well and you gotta wonder if that is why Tampa agreed to take him back, they know they did him dirty. Frankly I think their run is over anyways. They will be like Pittsburgh, dwindle down over the years because they have absolutely nothing in the prospect pool, and their players continue to get older and not as good. They may have a good year here or there when things just align but I think for the most part they are just going to kind of fade away.
Hopefully someone gets stamkos and Tampa misses the playoffs and we get the 11th pick from them next year lol one can hope

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
One can only hope. Or whatever year we can get the pick without any protections. F those guys and their Kucherov LTIR Cup win bullshit.
I won't be the least bit surprised if they have somebody else on the LTIR to start the season. Sergachev got back into a couple games in the playoffs, but they probably have something else up their sleeve to make up some Cap room next year.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's one thing to be ruthless when you force someone to leave. But if you are ruthless in forcing someone to stay when they don't want to, do you really thunk you're going to get their best effort after you make them stay?

If we were on the cusp of a cup, yeah this is a bad move. Where we are now? It's a great move.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Any word on if any Predators players are doing this?

Not to be that guy, but I don't think our players have the same mentality as Tampa. Look at the blown leads this year as a key example.

No doubt the guys work during the off-season, but I do wonder how many of them stick around TOGETHER.

Tampa is going to make the moves necessary to make the playoffs next year. They are hungry and will load up.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Not to be that guy, but I don't think our players have the same mentality as Tampa. Look at the blown leads this year as a key example.

No doubt the guys work during the off-season, but I do wonder how many of them stick around TOGETHER.

Tampa is going to make the moves necessary to make the playoffs next year. They are hungry and will load up.
A lot of the guys stay here and practice here all offseason. I know Fabbro, Forsberg and Josi do.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

We also don’t have the talent those teams have so if their top players are hanging around, the rest of the guys follow.

Maybe our team starts following this path in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad