Predict the Quarter Final Winners

Pick The 4 Winners

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Also.. someone asked me if we reseed... Apologies, I can't remember who. The answer is yes.

Screenshot_20240521_185022_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: NyQuil

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
You Finns and your perkele.
I love that about them. So relentlessly negative. They have a reason to be in this tournament, but even in the World Juniors when they win gold they're calling the team trash up to the very end. Most negative people I've encountered.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Do people for real ever watch Sweden in must win games? And against Finland? Finland will play the most boring but effective D and just counterattack Sweden to death. My only hope is that Sweden slay that "never best when it counts" dragon. But i think they will be uneffective, but shoot a lot. And end up being out goalied.

As both a Swedish fan and a Leaf fan, this feels way to common. Almost comforting in the sadest of ways.

This is not a jinx, i dont belive in jinxes. This is a fan being let down so many times i would be stupid to expect anything less. 2018 last medal. LAST MEDAL! That is insane how bad that is. Finland has what..? 5-6 medals in that same span?

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Do people for real ever watch Sweden in must win games? And against Finland? Finland will play the most boring but effective D and just counterattack Sweden to death. My only hope is that Sweden slay that "never best when it counts" dragon. But i think they will be uneffective, but shoot a lot. And end up being out goalied.

As both a Swedish fan and a Leaf fan, this feels way to common. Almost comforting in the sadest of ways.

This is not a jinx, i dont belive in jinxes. This is a fan being let down so many times i would be stupid to expect anything less. 2018 last medal. LAST MEDAL! That is insane how bad that is. Finland has what..? 5-6 medals in that same span?
If their Captain hadn't done something STUPID, today, I like their chances better.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If their Captain hadn't done something STUPID, today, I like their chances better.
If he is suspended, the other will step up. I would never take a Finnish team for granted, even if it was based on the players grandmothers. The will to win over Sweden can just fuel any Finn to be a sisudemon!

Next game u will say "ok where has this finish demons been hiding all tounament?"
They have not been playing against Sweden, thats all!

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I love that about them. So relentlessly negative. They have a reason to be in this tournament, but even in the World Juniors when they win gold they're calling the team trash up to the very end. Most negative people I've encountered.
Oh, so totally - it's amazing to witness. I predict a tight game and that we will have our best match of the tournament so far. A low bar and might not well be enough but it won't be a cakewalk for Sweden.

Reactions: FastEddie

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Sweden have been impressive and Finland have been exceedingly disappointing. But sometimes the 4th team does beat the 1st team from the other group, like Germany - Switzerland last year. And the Finns love nothing more than sending Sweden home at the knockout stages. Still, on the basis of performance to date I have to think that Sweden will get through.

CZE - USA. Not this again. Not optimistic. I think we’ll look better against them than last year (which was somewhere between hopeless and embarrassing), but still likely to lose.

CAN - SLO. Canada win relatively easily but Slovakia will score a few goals I think.

SUI - GER: The Swiss have a habit of choking in the quarter finals after a string of good group games, and Germany have been playing well in their recent games. This is a complete toss-up for me. Maybe finally the Swiss don’t choke? But hard to call this one.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Sweden (I hope they won't leaf it)
Canada
USA
Switzerland (I hope they won't leaf it)

Same for the Swiss... Are we the reason? lol

Reactions: ZEBROA

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Last 2 meetings at playoffs stage Finland versus Sweden

2019 we beat Sweden 5-4, we eventually won the gold
2017 Sweden beat us 4-1, they eventually won the gold

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I've seen all Team USA games in this tournament and their level of play was impressive whenever they actually tried playing their best. Which wasn't very often.

With all due respect to Czechia, this is one of the strongest US teams I've seen in recent years and they are the favorites.

As mentioned before, they really can elevate their play when needed.

Sweden and Canada are the clear favorites, but the Swiss-Germany game could be an exciting one, I expect a lot of goals in that one.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Please help me understand this prediction.
Painful quarterfinal history against the US. In Prague 2004 our roster was stacked. Jagr was brilliant. We won all 6 group games, including I think 6-1 against Canada. The US were 4th in their group. We were 2-0 up in the quarterfinal and lost after penalties (it was 2-2 at the end of regulation). So “not that again” refers to a Czech - US quarterfinal played in Prague.

More recent history is last year’s quarterfinal against the US, which we lost 0-3.

We generally don’t tend to like to play the US at the knockout stages, they seem to have our number. And the current US roster is good. If they play their best they are very hard to beat for our team.

Most people here seem to agree - almost nobody predicting a Czech win. I do think we CAN beat them, but it is less probable than a defeat.

I agree with Namejs who posted that he thinks the US can elevate their level at the knockout stages.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
IMO three of the QFs are automatic: SWE, CAN, SUI.

Finland has not been good and Sweden has steamrolled opponents. Canada is Canada and playing a team they should be able to beat even if they brought a lesser squad. Switzerland has a very good top-end and has been playing solid defensively throughout the tournament, should be able to beat this version of the German team.

Czechia-USA obviously looking like the closest match. With home ice and the recent reinforcements, Czechia should probably be favoured here. They've looked pretty good all tournament, while the U.S. took a while to come together.

Last edited:

NuTarViDom

Dec 27, 2017
Stockholm SWE
Sweden won every game in the prelims, Finland struggled, Sweden has a star studded defence with great offensive pieces, Finland has one of their worst teams on paper for the last few years. Anyone heard this story before? Heart says Sweden but i just put in a bet for Finland. If they squeeze out that goddamn sisu upset at least my dinner and drinks are paid for.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
The difference is that 8-1 is a realistic prediction for Sweden-Finland.
I’ll go so far as to say it’s a slightly more realistic prediction than say ”slovakia will eat Sweden alive”. But regardless of the situation 8-1 is never a realistic predicted score between Sweden and Finland. I maintain ofcourse that Sweden are heavy favourites but it’s a team Finland on it’s knees coached by the f***ing magician Jalonen. Anything can happen.

Reactions: NuTarViDom

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I’ll go so far as to say it’s a slightly more realistic prediction than say ”slovakia will eat Sweden alive”. But regardless of the situation 8-1 is never a realistic predicted score between Sweden and Finland. I maintain ofcourse that Sweden are heavy favourites but it’s a team Finland on it’s knees coached by the f***ing magician Jalonen. Anything can happen.
Okay, let's agree on 4:0 for Sweden. That's really realistic. :laugh:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad