Proposal: Preds and Leafs

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I'll keep it simple so everyone can roast it easily..

Leafs: Mitch Marner and Nick Robertson

Preds: Joakim Kemell, Luke Evangelista, and Zachary L’Heureux

Thoughts about this are the preds are going to want to compete next year. Marner can change games in favor of his team, and Nick robertson can actually score if given the chance in the top 6.

Preds give up 3 good prospects, but they keep their roster intact. This makes them better now.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Are we calling Evangelista a good prospect and considering Robertson a throw-in here when they basically scored at the same rate?
Scoring isn't the issue here for toronto. Evangelista plays a harder game which suits Berube's style of play better.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Thoughts about this are the preds are going to want to compete next year. Marner can change games in favor of his team, and Nick robertson can actually score if given the chance in the top 6.

Preds give up 3 good prospects, but they keep their roster intact. This makes them better now.
I thought the Leafs were in win now mode?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Nashville isn't trading L'Heureux. They like him and trust him to develop at a higher level than his trade value is on the market. They'd never be offered what THEY think he's worth.

Kemell and Evangelista (roster) is too cheap on the cap to replace with Marner and Robertson. Nashville would be including 2 or 3 of Novak Nyquist Sissons Glass Schenn Fabbro Saros, just to make the cap work, and also obviously they'd have to be interested in that player / those players as well. I could see the Leafs having varying levels of interest in those players. Glass maybe / maybe not.

Something around 2 (or 3) of those players for Marner and Robertson makes way more sense from a roster and cap perspective, and then you can add young guys who are under 1 million and don't need waivers to go to the AHL (Evangelista, Kemell, Askarov, etc etc). Or you can add a pick instead. Whatever seems like fair value, where the cap and roster swaps also work.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's a pretty easy no. If Trotz was worried about competing next season he wouldn't have just traded away McDonagh.

Trotz is looking to bring in better players but he's not going to do it at the expense of young talent playing the style of game he wants the team to play in the future.

Of those 3 Kemell is likely the only one he might trade, but that depends greatly on what Trotz thinks of his game.

Trotz is still a bit of wildcard but I think the Marner thing is a bit overblown. He said early on in his tenure he didn't see signing any more 7-8 year contracts for a while. Now a guy like Marner might be an exception but so far in his tenure I don't think he has signed anyone to more than 3-4 years.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
That's a pretty easy no. If Trotz was worried about competing next season he wouldn't have just traded away McDonagh.

Trotz is looking to bring in better players but he's not going to do it at the expense of young talent playing the style of game he wants the team to play in the future.

Of those 3 Kemell is likely the only one he might trade, but that depends greatly on what Trotz thinks of his game.

Trotz is still a bit of wildcard but I think the Marner thing is a bit overblown. He said early on in his tenure he didn't see signing any more 7-8 year contracts for a while. Now a guy like Marner might be an exception but so far in his tenure I don't think he has signed anyone to more than 3-4 years.
McDonagh was a trade request I don’t think it has anything to do with wanting to compete.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think the Preds will trade L'Heureux or Evangelista. Kemell didn't quite have the hoped-for season in Milwaukee yet, and there's only so many smaller guys a team can ice at once, so I wouldn't say he's off the table like the other two are. I think the Preds are strong candidates to chase a player like Marner if he ever does hit free agency. But I don't believe the Preds will attempt to trade for him, not unless it involves a goalie.

Meanwhile, why is Toronto making a rebuilding style trade? :huh: Leafs should be in full-blown "all in" Cup contention mode next season, not trading their star players for prospects. Get the Leafs a couple D, get them a good goalie, You're going to have to shop very carefully to fill out the roster with $18M, that's for sure. But I wouldn't look at that as an impossible feat. If you don't quite make it next season, then use Tavares' money to finish the job next summer. Keep Matthews and Marner and add pieces around them.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Marner will either be traded for an experiences RD (who has his own warts) or for the typical 1st, prospect and warm body package. However, if Marner is traded for the later option, expect Robertson to finally get a top-6 opportunity rather than be packaged out for nothing. Regardless, Robertson's a short-term option as they will likely give Cowan a 9-game audition next season as he's got little to nothing to prove in London but it too young to play in the AHL.

If Robertson produces at the same rate as this past season, with the extra minutes and playing with more skilled line mates should boast his value for the future. If he fails, then you add him to another trade as a throw-in.

Any cap savings in a Marner trade will be dedicated to shoring up the defense and goaltending in an attempt to balance out the roster.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
McDonagh was a trade request I don’t think it has anything to do with wanting to compete.
It wasn't a request in the sense that Trotz had to do it, it was more like a " hey it would be cool if " but Trotz was under no demand by McDonagh to be traded. He got traded because Trotz is a nice guy and Tampa was willing to take him back, but it still shows that if Trotz was that concerned about competing now he would not have traded him.

Trotz said when he started it would be at least a 3 year process, we just finished year 1. We may have been a bit ahead of schedule, or a surprise, but it was clear going into the season he wasn't that concerned with making the playoffs, that only shifted after it was clear we were going to make it.

We made the playoffs this season on the back of career years by Nyquist and Forsberg and we had almost no injuries at all this season. The odds of that happening again are pretty slim.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
L'Heureux ain't going anywhere the way he's playing in the AHL playoffs right now. He's gonna be our Marchand-lite for a long time. You'd be better off going after Tomasino, he's a Toronto boy too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

love the way you address Zero of the Leafs needs... Askavov would be a 'starting point' for me, and without him, I look elsewhere. No interest in Saros either.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wouldnt deal marner in this type of trade

We need to get either a legit 2C, 2RHD, or 1G as main piece and then add-on prospect/pick to make up value difference depending in who those assets are

Saros from the preds is interesting

Nelson from the Isles is interesting

Trading for youth when no blue chip prospect is in the deal makes the trade a future based trade

We have 4 years left to try and figure this out. 4 years Matthews is signed for and can expected to be in his prime.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
love the way you address Zero of the Leafs needs... Askavov would be a 'starting point' for me, and without him, I look elsewhere. No interest in Saros either.
I think the obvious need for the Leafs is to rid themselves of the 11million cap hit, no? Did I need to include that? Also, there aren't many teams in a position to take on marners salary without sending back cap. So looking elsewhere is limited

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Ridiculous value from Nash.

I imagine it would look more like a 1st, Fabbro and Tomasino.

1- his Marner waived h8s NMC, chance are pretty high than any trade will coming with an extension

2- It's less than what Dubois cost and never be close to be at narner level anytime in his carreer. We talked about a top 10 offensive player since he's in the NHL in term of pts!

3- Like some people say, hard to consider any trade involving marner without Saros including

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1- his Marner waived h8s NMC, chance are pretty high than any trade will coming with an extension

2- It's less than what Dubois cost who never be close to be at narner level anytime in his carreer.

3- Like some people say, hard to consider any trade involving marner without Saros including

No it isn't. Dubois return a 2nd, a cap dump in Iafallo, and a nothing burger in Kupari. Vilardi was the center piece and he has huge injury concerns as we saw this year.

You're getting a 1st, a 16-18 minute RHD that can probably play more minutes as he develops and Tomasino who is basically a similar player to what Vilardi was at 22.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad