Pre-Game Talk: rags

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'm most concerned about the PK, and goal tending. I'm excited about the power play. How about Svech last night too. Had a goal, 6 SOG, and only one penalty. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember seeing Rod pissed it was called so maybe not his usual variety.

He's been better about in the playoffs. If we could get a good series out of him and Guentzel that would be clutch against the Rangers. That PK though. Gonna have to tighten that up.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I would like to see PK in net for game 1. Andersen was channeling his inner 2024 Raanta last night. He was not calm and composed like usual. I think Lee rattled him after he ran the net. He didn’t look the same after that.

He made some highlight reel saves in the series but also game up questionable goals in almost all of the games.

If I was Rod I would have rotated tendies between road and home games. We all know Andersen is injury prone, and the rotation was working really well down the stretch. Why are we going to run Andersen in the ground now? It’s not like he went super saiyan against the Islanders…

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm most concerned about the PK, and goal tending. I'm excited about the power play. How about Svech last night too. Had a goal, 6 SOG, and only one penalty. I don't remember what it was, but I do remember seeing Rod pissed it was called so maybe not his usual variety.

He's been better about in the playoffs. If we could get a good series out of him and Guentzel that would be clutch against the Rangers. That PK though. Gonna have to tighten that up.

His penalty was a slash, behind the play as the Islanders rushed up the ice. It was a legit slash, but it was one that had been let go in previous games (and obviously, they didn't call the much more blatant slash against TDA later in the game).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I wonder if Pesce will return this series?

Last I read he was only out for the first round. We already know Fast is out for the entire playoffs.
I really hope so, this is not the series I want to throw Morrow to the Wolves. Also hope TDA isn't out too long, he's not been great, but he's nice insurance...of course love how he was injured on a blatant 2-handed slash that was uncalled while Svech got called for slashing by a ref 50 ft away bc a Pile threw his hand around despite not being anywhere close to the slashing stick

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I do think Kochetkov gets a start in at least one of these Ranger games. It may not be game 1 due to the long layoff between rounds...that rest will help Andersen...but maybe game 2 or the two day break (if there is one) between game 2 and 3.

Kochektov deserves a chance to start. Yes, we need 12 more wins but max we could play 21 more games to get those 12 wins (if each series go 7 including SCF if if we make it that far). Do not want to risk injuring Andersen.

At least Kooch is backing up Andersen and not Raanta. I feel comfortable with Kochetkov as our backup.

But...give him a shot. He played excellent his last start against the Rangers. Yes, he lost 1-0 but by no fault of his own. Goal was deflection off Skjei's skate.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im thinking we wait until long as possible to play pesce. If we are down 3-1 going to game 5 in NY, might be that time. Just play Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Orlov 22-24 minutes each. Sneak Chatty-Coghlan in as you can.

The mistake of not getting a depth defender gets worse

Reactions: Tryamw

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So what do we think the earliest this series could start? Before some of the other 1st round Western series are over, or do they wait for all of round one to be finished?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Im thinking we wait until long as possible to play pesce. If we are down 3-1 going to game 5 in NY, might be that time. Just play Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Orlov 22-24 minutes each. Sneak Chatty-Coghlan in as you can.

The mistake of not getting a depth defender gets worse
May hold off games 1 and/or 2 depending on how they go (if we can steal a win or two in NY then can be more patient), but if we're sitting at 0-2 and he's anywhere close to even 80% then he's playing, at least from the team perspective. Although it'd be kind of a bitch move I could see Pesce deciding not to risk further injury with free agency on the horizon. Team doesn't care as his last game for the Canes will almost certainly be these playoffs so anything more we get from him going forward is just a bonus... But he does have a lot on the line, more than just a potential ring.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So what do we think the earliest this series could start? Before some of the other 1st round Western series are over, or do they wait for all of round one to be finished?
I think it’ll start early because the league will want to maximize tv coverage. We likely have 3 series lasting longer than tonight, oilers likely close it out. I would be surprised if Boston and Vancouver series goes to 7.

With that said, I would guess a Saturday start. The only scheduled Saturday game is game 7 of Bos-Toronto. I don’t see the league not having a game on Saturday.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
been snoopin their board a bit, pretty hilarious they say they have the better defenseman and goalie.

Just like our series vs Tampa the PK will be the deciding factor for you guys as 5v5 the rangers are weaker

Yeah, I have been too. They are talking smack about us (expected) and it's like they have no knowledge that we finished with 3 less points than their team did this season.

But...I guess what you do when your team is the best in the league. You get cocky.

They're calling our players soft and everything. It's hilarious.

They're literally underestimating Carolina and some think Rod will not be back next season as coach since his contract expires at the end of the year.

On a side note: I wonder if we'll dress Lemieux to keep Rempe in check?

Last edited:

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Well. Stop being Yankee trash. Win or lose they're still some of the shittiest people in the country and won't stop moving here though we're all trailer trash rednecks.
The sentiment is about hockey. I disagree with your perspective but I am not looking to get into a cultural war debate other than to say, I believe there are good and bad folks everywhere in our population of nearly 8 billion and joy to be found in most places.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don't think you f*** around until you're down. If pesce can go you play him
Generally agree but it depends on his injury. if him returning too early by a week or two can result in a setback causing him to miss the rest of the playoffs that needs to be a consideration. Rags are a tough opponent but if we get past them it'll only get tougher down the road and we'll need Pesce then. If him sitting longer won't alleviate those risks then yeah just play him

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Is it true that there are more Ranger fans at PNC during Carolina home games?

I find it hard to believe that Ranger fans drown out the PNC crowd noise from Cane's fans.

I've never been to a game at PNC...only get to watch them play on Bally so I wouldn't know.

Generally agree but it depends on his injury. if him returning too early by a week or two can result in a setback causing him to miss the rest of the playoffs that needs to be a consideration. Rags are a tough opponent but if we get past them it'll only get tougher down the road and we'll need Pesce then. If him sitting longer won't alleviate those risks then yeah just play him

Seeing his injury I'm thinking it's probably ankle related. Like maybe a twisted ankle. I don't think it's an ACL tear because I would think he would be helped off the ice if it was that (ala Svech) and as far as I recall Pesce left the ice under his own power.

What do I know about injuries though.

Hope he does come back this round.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Is it true that there are more Ranger fans at PNC during Carolina home games?

I find it hard to believe that Ranger fans drown out the PNC crowd noise from Cane's fans.

I've never been to a game at PNC...only get to watch them play on Bally so I wouldn't know.
They live 20 mins from PNC and change their jerseys pending who is playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad