OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
When McCutchen is mentally defeated, you know you are done.

It is time to consciously uncouple from the Pirates.
I can't keep letting these disgraces get me down. They don't know who I am, or care.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I guess if you had to find a silver lining Cruz hit the ball hard twice and homered off a lefty. His only K was partially caused by MLB umpires once again having trouble with the concept that a 6'7" guy's knees are higher than most people's.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
At least they make up for this staggering offensive ineptitude by having absolutely no hitting prospects in the system above A-ball that are potential impact bats. And really, Johnson is becoming concerning - if he washes out it’s really bleak.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At least they make up for this staggering offensive ineptitude by having absolutely no hitting prospects in the system above A-ball that are potential impact bats. And really, Johnson is becoming concerning - if he washes out it’s really bleak.

We are headed to Cherington being dismissed, then the question will be whether they blow it up in 2025 or try to go for it with a new GM and hitting coach. My gut says Bob will treat this like the end of Littlefield. I'll be curious to look up BC's record against DL's by the end of his tenure.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What difference does it make when you have hitters that can't produce a single run, routinely?

I've never seen a worse stretch of hitting from a ML roster.

Jones is a legit ace. Sucks he and Skenes will apparently take losses routinely no matter how well they pitch.

I genuinely loathe Shelton and Haines.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This loss is going to be especially brutal.

Jones really locked things down in his final two innings. That's a small step of improvement for him, as at times he had looked a little bit gassed which is what led to some traffic or hard hit balls in previous games. Granted it's the Rockies, but it's still noticeable.

Our only prayer is someone running into a solo HR.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Based on the posts from a bit ago, I thought this team was losing like 7-0 in this game :laugh:

This offense desperately needs to be changed up. I don't understand why Gonzales hasn't been called up yet at minimum, what is Triolo doing to continue playing?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Based on the posts from a bit ago, I thought this team was losing like 7-0 in this game :laugh:

This offense desperately needs to be changed up. I don't understand why Gonzales hasn't been called up yet at minimum, what is Triolo doing to continue playing?

Gonzales, Bae, Lamb should be up for Triolo, Suwinski (yes, nice hit today), and Tellez.

They may just need an infusion of different players who have not experienced the collective failure and mental implosion that this group has collectively suffered. Outside of the players being crappy and coaching being crappy, you don't achieve these kind of RISP numbers without a mental meltdown.

I even think Palacios could come up for Taylor. Palacios has a modicum of confidence.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

It's probably best for Gonzales to stay as far away from Haines and Shelton as possible.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

At this point, also, I'd rather lose 7-5 than win 2-0. Show an offensive pulse.
Maybe when Bitch Keller pitches next we can crack 5 runs and lose.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Never a doubt they'd pull it off :nod:

Lol, i think the rockies might be managed even worse... Then again, I wouldn't respect our offense either and feel good about intentionally loading the bases in the bottom of the 9th

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Lol, i think the rockies might be managed even worse... Then again, I wouldn't respect our offense either and feel good about intentionally loading the bases in the bottom of the 9th

It was also smart to make Cruz not the ghost-runner in the likely event that the game went to the 10th. Right move, but Suwinski came through. Which was hilarious when he took the 1st pitch, a 96 mph flat fastball on the inner 3rd. Hainesian special.

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

Intentional walk to Cruz was the correct call. Force out at all bases, only the one base runner is really meaningful with two outs, and it was Cruz.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The lineup is undeniably really bad, but it's also been a confluence of the worst things going wrong at the same time.

If we can get even one of Reynolds, Cruz, or Hayes on a bit of a heater, maybe some luck will start to turn around and we can build momentum. Cherington built this offense and should be held responsible for it, but losing a ton in a row creates the same kind of weird delusion that winning a ton in a row does.

We're still in the part of the season where separation hasn't really occurred. That would be true even if we had basically reversed the recent weeks and won a ton of games -- as crazy as it sounds, if we had done that, it's actually somewhat feasible that we'd be close to the Dodgers or Phillies in wins. I.e., if we had not been swept by the Red Sox or Mets, then turned things way around vs the A's, etc. That's 5-6 wins.

But I digress. We deserved basically all of these losses and look at home in the basement of the division. The pitching is the only saving grace, and it gives you something of a floor when the offense isn't world historically horrendous. For now, we need to take this series against a much worse team. Then we have another opportunity with 3 against the Trout-less Angels. Getting to 18-20 won't be sexy, but it will at least stabilize things before the long stretch vs Cubs and Brewers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad