OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Some positives: Bae looks pretty comfortable and like he's ready to hit the ground running, and Mlodzinski looks like he might be settling back in.

Both would be important boosts, because the bullpen looks to be in ugly shape. Nicolas is the carbon copy of Selby as others have pointed out, and with Ryan being sent down, you have to assume some more bullpen shuffling might be in order.

Perez basically lost this one with the HR, even though it's hard to fault him for the first two runs of the game. Not a great start to the homestand, but on the other hand hard to expect otherwise vs Webb. If we had executed better at defense/pitching, then maybe this is a 2-2 50/50 game.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Tough at bat by Joe there... looked at two dick high fastballs and then that ugly check swing.

Cruz just barrelling the shit out of everything right now.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
were back.jpg

I love how like 75% of those in attendance cleared out early haha

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We'll see if that can catapult a little winning streak. There's certainly a big opportunity with Jones and Skenes lined up if Cruz stays hot, Gonzales keeps doing what he's doing, and Bae gives production from the 9 spot.

Reactions: TNT87

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah we kinda stole a win and now go right into the heart of our pitching staff starting tomorrow. We can be looking at .500 fairly soon, and go from there.

Keep Andy Haines far away from Nick Gonzales and Bae.

Keep Tellez off the lineup card.

Also glad that Andy Haines doens't speak Spanish (I am guessing), so he can't mess up Cruz.

Great job by Bednar.

I still think the extra innings free runner is asinine, but hey, it achieves the desired goal and that's to get the game over with. So maybe the practicality is simply worth it. Especially when these guys play 162 games.

Raise it!!

Reactions: metalan2

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If Cruz becomes a superstar player, this will be the game we remember.

Horrible, Polanco esque error turns into 3 obliterated baseballs later. Love it.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Grandal got hurt so we might see Davis back as early as tomorrow. Maybe we'd chance it if it's minor enough that he doesn't need to go on the IL, but even that is risky if Bart gets hurt.

We're going to need some bullpen shuffling as well. The writing should be on the wall to just ditch Rowdy tomorrow morning, because there really isn't a ton of roster flexibility to accomplish that. Assuming that a position player is shipped out for another pitcher, the options are DFA Rowdy, option Triolo, option Suwinski, or option Williams.

Williams is a definite possibility, but it would leave either Bae or Gonzales as the back up for Cruz. Unless I am mistaken, Bae played exclusively at 2B and in the OF in Indy this year, so I think the ship has sailed on him playing at short. Suwinski could be a casualty, but he's shown at least some signs of life. I get that people are frustrated with Triolo, but until Hayes comes back, you kind of need him for the infield.

The only other option I can see is some kind of phantom injury and moving Marco Gonzales to the 60-day IL, though that's only necessary if you need a 40-man spot I suppose. Honestly, I think it largely comes down to Tellez vs Suwinski now that Bae is up. The OF is more crowded and getting Suwinski right is more important than dealing with Tellez. But unless we want to get him the AAA reset, then there's really no reason to keep dragging our feet with Tellez. The worst outcome if Tellez is DFA'd is that Joe is somewhat overexposed by playing every day at 1B.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Looks like we get Blake Snell tomorrow, but he's really struggled in his first three games. That should at least mean there's no way Rowdy plays, even if he stays on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad