Boston Globe Ranking 7th Player Award

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

And with several under-the-radar signings punching above their weight on this revamped roster, there are no shortage of deserving candidates in 2023-24.
Here’s our ranking of the top contenders for the 2023-24 7th Player Award in a crowded field.

10. Pavel Zacha​

Zacha’s role as a top-six stalwart might hurt his candidacy, considering that the 7th Player Award is usually doled out to bottom-six contributors or other overlooked role players. But Zacha does deserve a stick tap for holding his own in his first full season as a top-six center for Boston.

9. Charlie Coyle​

Much like Zacha, Coyle’s role as a top-six pivot does hamper his odds a bit when it comes to the 7th Player Award. Still, the 32-year-old forward deserves plenty of credit for exceeding expectations after getting handed the unenviable task of replacing Patrice Bergeron on Boston’s top line.

8. Kevin Shattenkirk​

Even though he’s slotted in and out of the lineup this season, the veteran defenseman has been as advertised as a puck-moving presence on the blue line. In 58 games, Shattenkirk has scored five goals and posted 22 points — impressing during his reps on Boston’s second power-play unit. A solid pick-up last summer, considering his $1,050,000 cap hit.

7. Jesper Boqvist​

Boqvist’s speed and scoring touch has been a welcome add to the Bruins’ depth chart, with the 25-year-old forward scoring six goals and posting 14 points over 43 games this season. Boqvist could be in line for third-line reps down the stretch, especially if Jim Montgomery wants to keep him with a fellow speedster in Jake DeBrusk.

6. Johnny Beecher​

Among the several Bruins rookies who have cut their teeth in the NHL ranks this year, Beecher has arguably been handed the most daunting assignments given his steady dose of minutes in the D-zone.

In Beecher’s 420:27 of 5v5 ice time this season, just 13.3 percent of his faceoffs have been set in the offensive zone. But even with plenty of taxing minutes, Beecher has established himself as a key cog on Boston’s fourth line — especially after his second call-up with Boston last month. His ability to win D-zone faceoffs (54.4 percent) has been key for this team down the stretch.

5. Parker Wotherspoon​

Another unheralded free-agent pickup back in July, Wotherspoon has gone from an AHL regular to a dependable option on Boston’s blue line in the span of a few months. The 26-year-old plays a simple, meat-and-potatoes game — but that steady, stiff style has added some much-needed fortitude to Boston’s D corps.

4. James van Riemsdyk​

An early frontrunner for the 7th Player Award, van Riemsdyk’s candidacy has taken a hit due to a sustained slump (one point in last 18 games). But before that scoring skid, the veteran forward scored 11 goals and 37 points over his first 51 games with Boston.

3. Trent Frederic​

After submitting a breakthrough season in 2022-23, Frederic has showcased this year that those previous results were not just a flash in the pan. Frederic has offered value to the Bruins over the last few seasons thanks to his underrated two-way skillset and pugnacious approach.

2. Morgan Geekie​

The Bruins were thrilled when Geekie surprisingly hit the free-agent market after the Kraken chose to not extend him a qualifying offer. Despite averaging just 10:27 of ice time last season in Seattle, Geekie still posted 28 points over 69 games..

1. Danton Heinen​

The Bruins’ nominee for the 2024 Bill Masterton Trophy, Heinen went from a training camp tryout candidate to a top-six stalwart in the span of a few months. The 28-year-old forward has made the most of his second chance in Boston, earning a roster spot in the fall and establishing himself as a Swiss Army Knife in Jim Montgomery’s forward corps.

Heinen has been one of the best bargain-bin signings across the NHL this season, scoring 16 goals and 35 points while only accounting for a $775,000 cap hit. Among players with standard NHL contracts, Heinen ranks fourth in cost per point at $22,794, per CapFriendly.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

And with several under-the-radar signings punching above their weight on this revamped roster, there are no shortage of deserving candidates in 2023-24.
Here’s our ranking of the top contenders for the 2023-24 7th Player Award in a crowded field.

10. Pavel Zacha​

Zacha’s role as a top-six stalwart might hurt his candidacy, considering that the 7th Player Award is usually doled out to bottom-six contributors or other overlooked role players. But Zacha does deserve a stick tap for holding his own in his first full season as a top-six center for Boston.

9. Charlie Coyle​

Much like Zacha, Coyle’s role as a top-six pivot does hamper his odds a bit when it comes to the 7th Player Award. Still, the 32-year-old forward deserves plenty of credit for exceeding expectations after getting handed the unenviable task of replacing Patrice Bergeron on Boston’s top line.

8. Kevin Shattenkirk​

Even though he’s slotted in and out of the lineup this season, the veteran defenseman has been as advertised as a puck-moving presence on the blue line. In 58 games, Shattenkirk has scored five goals and posted 22 points — impressing during his reps on Boston’s second power-play unit. A solid pick-up last summer, considering his $1,050,000 cap hit.

7. Jesper Boqvist​

Boqvist’s speed and scoring touch has been a welcome add to the Bruins’ depth chart, with the 25-year-old forward scoring six goals and posting 14 points over 43 games this season. Boqvist could be in line for third-line reps down the stretch, especially if Jim Montgomery wants to keep him with a fellow speedster in Jake DeBrusk.

6. Johnny Beecher​

Among the several Bruins rookies who have cut their teeth in the NHL ranks this year, Beecher has arguably been handed the most daunting assignments given his steady dose of minutes in the D-zone.

In Beecher’s 420:27 of 5v5 ice time this season, just 13.3 percent of his faceoffs have been set in the offensive zone. But even with plenty of taxing minutes, Beecher has established himself as a key cog on Boston’s fourth line — especially after his second call-up with Boston last month. His ability to win D-zone faceoffs (54.4 percent) has been key for this team down the stretch.

5. Parker Wotherspoon​

Another unheralded free-agent pickup back in July, Wotherspoon has gone from an AHL regular to a dependable option on Boston’s blue line in the span of a few months. The 26-year-old plays a simple, meat-and-potatoes game — but that steady, stiff style has added some much-needed fortitude to Boston’s D corps.

4. James van Riemsdyk​

An early frontrunner for the 7th Player Award, van Riemsdyk’s candidacy has taken a hit due to a sustained slump (one point in last 18 games). But before that scoring skid, the veteran forward scored 11 goals and 37 points over his first 51 games with Boston.

3. Trent Frederic​

After submitting a breakthrough season in 2022-23, Frederic has showcased this year that those previous results were not just a flash in the pan. Frederic has offered value to the Bruins over the last few seasons thanks to his underrated two-way skillset and pugnacious approach.

2. Morgan Geekie​

The Bruins were thrilled when Geekie surprisingly hit the free-agent market after the Kraken chose to not extend him a qualifying offer. Despite averaging just 10:27 of ice time last season in Seattle, Geekie still posted 28 points over 69 games..

1. Danton Heinen​

The Bruins’ nominee for the 2024 Bill Masterton Trophy, Heinen went from a training camp tryout candidate to a top-six stalwart in the span of a few months. The 28-year-old forward has made the most of his second chance in Boston, earning a roster spot in the fall and establishing himself as a Swiss Army Knife in Jim Montgomery’s forward corps.

Heinen has been one of the best bargain-bin signings across the NHL this season, scoring 16 goals and 35 points while only accounting for a $775,000 cap hit. Among players with standard NHL contracts, Heinen ranks fourth in cost per point at $22,794, per CapFriendly.
Top 6 is perfect. I probably drop shattenkirk to 10 and Boquist to 9. Coyle and Zacha both move up two spots.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My favorite was when Thomas won the 2nd time in a row and said something like "I guess people have low expectations for me."
1712589085078.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My favorite was when Thomas won the 2nd time in a row and said something like "I guess people have low expectations for me."View attachment 848119
I remember that. Love Timmy.

Heinen is the 7th player and if he doesn't get it, it will be more criminal than Seguin over Kelly (2011-2012) and Hamilton over Paille (2012-2013).

My 2nd place vote that I would be ok winning, with a slight side eye, would be Geekie. I knew he'd fit in well here but I was not expecting the way he fits seamlessly on every line.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Danton Heinen is my pick. I was indifferent about the signing because we essentially needed an NHL quality warm body to play the wing, but Heinen has been beyond excellent given he was a PTO. The smarts, the effort, the production has all been there. If he wins its well deserved.

My top 3 would be
1. Heinen
2. Wotherspoon
3. Coyle

Wotherspoon has only played 38 games this season.

Reactions: Alicat

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Wanted Coyle and deserving so, but not thinking he already has won it , not that you cannot win it again , but so for me Zacha, Freddy and Geekie in no particular order and I would not have a problem with any of the three.........

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Wanted Coyle and deserving so, but not thinking he already has won it , not that you cannot win it again , but so for me Zacha, Freddy and Geekie in no particular order and I would not have a problem with any of the three.........
All three are realistic choices

A couple of weeks ago I had it nose to nose between Geekie and Heinen

Today it is Heinen by a clear length or two ....he has been an absolute steal and when looking at cost for performance has to be the best bargain in the league

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

10. Pavel Zacha​

9. Charlie Coyle​

8. Kevin Shattenkirk​

7. Jesper Boqvist​

6. Johnny Beecher​

5. Parker Wotherspoon​

4. James van Riemsdyk​

3. Trent Frederic​

2. Morgan Geekie​

1. Danton Heinen​

I know that he doesn't have a prayer of winning the 7th Player Award this year, but I think David Pastrnak at least deserves an Honorable Mention and I'd have him in my Top 5.

Yeah, he's not gonna match his goal total from last year, but he may get 50 and very well could match his point total from last year. And he's doing it playing with a stopgap 1C (Zacha) and Danton Heinen on the other wing. If anyone out there expected that to happen, I'd like you to connect with me via PM so we can discuss lottery numbers.

He was runner up for the Hart last year, but I actually think he's had a better overall season this year....

For me, my Top 5 7th Player candidates are:
Heinen
Geekie
Coyle
Freddy
Pasta

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you’d have told me when DH came in on a PTO and would end up with 16-19-35 in 70 games and play on all four lines as a Swiss Army knife I simply would not have believed you.

For me it’s Heinen’s above anyone else — and that’s not taking away from other worthy candidates including Coyle, Zacha, and Geekie. It’s just that Heinen has been tremendous in all aspects of the game. Good for him.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If we're going by what the 7th player is award for now (I swear it used to be the player that goes above and beyond and was really just a team MVP award by the fans). Looking at the award description as it is:

The 7th Player Award is given each year to the unsung hero on the team – the player that works hard every day for the good of the team without any expectation to be recognized.

Heinen literally started the season without a contract, but still busted his ass practicing to get a shot. As a guy who came in on a PTO the expectations for him were low. He's on pace for his best season sine his rookie year in Boston and could set a career high in goals scored. He's also 5th among B's forward in block shots, tied for 7th in goals and 9th in points.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Danton Heinen is my pick. I was indifferent about the signing because we essentially needed an NHL quality warm body to play the wing, but Heinen has been beyond excellent given he was a PTO. The smarts, the effort, the production has all been there. If he wins its well deserved.

My top 3 would be
1. Heinen
2. Wotherspoon
3. Coyle

100%.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I remember that. Love Timmy.

Heinen is the 7th player and if he doesn't get it, it will be more criminal than Seguin over Kelly (2011-2012) and Hamilton over Paille (2012-2013).

My 2nd place vote that I would be ok winning, with a slight side eye, would be Geekie. I knew he'd fit in well here but I was not expecting the way he fits seamlessly on every line.
I'd add Mike O'Connell over Doug Keans in '83-'84.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad