Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Maybe. I treat gossip like gossip. If the trade request rumors have any sort of merit, I hope they can get it done as soon as possible before the value drops. Roster-wise, as long as the Canes have one of Guentzel or Necas ready to go for next season and beyond, I don't really care what happens to the other player either way.

Treat the gossip like gossip. I’m talking about both Waddell and RBA addressing the question the way they did. Just actively mocking Necas’s dad. Not unwarranted at all, but not the way they’d treat this if they weren’t kinda fed up with Necas.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How about a McCabe esque trade for Connor Murphy to really open up cap having our 2RD being 2.2 million?

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
Im under the impression Necas thinks highly of himself. I just hope theres a couple GMs out there that drink the same Koolade this guy is on..... better return for the canes... ill take Jarvis any day over "im full of myself" Necas

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm assuming if nashville goes after marner, saros is part of the return. toronto finally gets a genuinely great goalie, though maybe a little late, and its askarov time for the preds.
Yep, my guess would be Marner with some retention for Saros and a pick of some sort. Just makes too much sense for both sides with as high on Askarov as Nashville is.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Im under the impression Necas thinks highly of himself. I just hope theres a couple GMs out there that drink the same Koolade this guy is on..... better return for the canes... ill take Jarvis any day over "im full of myself" Necas

I clearly don't know him, but if I had to guess, I don't think it's that. All high skill players want to play on the top line and top PP unit because they are competitive and it's natural. Rod even said as much in the press conference where he said the only ones happy about the PowerPlay are the 5 guys that are on the top unit.

Necas knows his future pay checks depend on how much he produces and he's going to produce more playing with better players and on a top PP unit. That's not unreasonable IMO.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It’s too bad Necas’ shot or playmaking ability hasn’t caught up to his skating because if so he would already have all the things he is asking for despite not being the greatest two way player. Not sure if he’ll ever take the next step with this team so I’d be fine with moving on depending on the trade.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Necas for Batherson one for one swap who says no? Ottawa might be looking to change things up maybe this could benefit both teams?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Necas for Batherson one for one swap who says no? Ottawa might be looking to change things up maybe this could benefit both teams?
OTT I'm sure says no without an add... Drake's been their 3rd best player behind Stuz & BTkachuk and on a comparative bargain contract

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He hasn’t played center in a couple of seasons cuz he has slowed down. Would add a serious pp shot though
Seems like he took a good amount of faceoffs this year. He won 56% of his faceoffs. He was on the dot 637 times, similar to Jesperi here in Carolina. If someone as slow Jordan can play center here, think you could get Stammer to play center too.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Seems like he took a good amount of faceoffs this year. He won 56% of his faceoffs. He was on the dot 637 times, similar to Jesperi here in Carolina. If someone as slow Jordan can play center here, think you could get Stammer to play center too.
He can win FOs. Can play center but his defense isn’t as strong as Staal so isn’t only a speed comparison here

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Tampa likely sells off Jeannot and Sheary for FCs and signs Stamkos to a decent 4 year deal.

Or tampa signs him to a 8 year 4.5 million per deal knowing full well he’ll only play 4-5 more years. Some doctor will say he is allergic to his equipment and he’ll LTIretire. Its the new form of cap circumventing

In short, stamkos is staying in Tampa

Last edited:

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Necas gets a lot of hate from our fans, not just here. I sometimes wonder if players catch wind of that. Some celebrities talk about mental health issues from social media like instagram and twitter. Hell, even this board has been around long enough that a lot of these players probably grew up posting/lurking here from time to time.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think my issue has always been when certain players seem like they’re on the way out, the board turns on them like this. The guy loves hockey, and he’s worked very hard to get better. I see the effort. He used to seem like a puppy, eager to get his teammates to like him through his play. Just really seems to be a likable human being. He’s always been a unique player, more dynamic than all of our other players but with his limitations. He’s stronger to the point he lost some top end speed imo but he’s very upright and easily knocked off the play. Obviously this is why open space works better for him. He tried to learn how to slow down for his teammates to involve them in the play but usually they just lose the momentum anyways. I wanted to see him more with Aho because they scored some great goals together but this wasn’t to be.

Necas is maybe the only guy on the team with a consistent one timer than he can get on net. He’s been working on it since he was with Velucci in tbe AHL. Other than occasionally Aho and that one week this year where Svech had one there’s no one else. We never featured it. It’s an afterthought play on the second unit.

I don’t care about his Dad saying anything. He probably had no idea what he was doing and that it would make it to the podium over here. Necas is not his Dad anyways and probably isn’t happy that he said anything to anyone about his personal aspirations. Necas has played similar to his other years but clearly didn’t enjoy himself as much this season. He wants out and I don’t blame him. Maybe he succeeds, maybe he stays the same but he put the work in and I think he deserves a chance somewhere else without our scorn.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Necas isn't hateable, he's just the most frustrating player since his spirit animal, sweet jeff skinner. Both are all-world skaters, the only difference is during create a player one maxed out speed and the other maxed out edgework. Both make insane individual plays that blow you away. Both have serious challenges when they need to mesh well with others at 5 on 5. Both seem capable of being so much more, yet seem incapable of removing the warts on their games that hold them back. Both have something off-ice that annoys fans even though those things are pretty normal ("involved" parent / actually exerting contractually agreed upon terms to control trade destination). Both are worth it even with the warts, but only at less than they are or will be paid.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think my issue has always been when certain players seem like they’re on the way out, the board turns on them like this. The guy loves hockey, and he’s worked very hard to get better. I see the effort. He used to seem like a puppy, eager to get his teammates to like him through his play. Just really seems to be a likable human being. He’s always been a unique player, more dynamic than all of our other players but with his limitations. He’s stronger to the point he lost some top end speed imo but he’s very upright and easily knocked off the play. Obviously this is why open space works better for him. He tried to learn how to slow down for his teammates to involve them in the play but usually they just lose the momentum anyways. I wanted to see him more with Aho because they scored some great goals together but this wasn’t to be.

Necas is maybe the only guy on the team with a consistent one timer than he can get on net. He’s been working on it since he was with Velucci in tbe AHL. Other than occasionally Aho and that one week this year where Svech had one there’s no one else. We never featured it. It’s an afterthought play on the second unit.

I don’t care about his Dad saying anything. He probably had no idea what he was doing and that it would make it to the podium over here. Necas is not his Dad anyways and probably isn’t happy that he said anything to anyone about his personal aspirations. Necas has played similar to his other years but clearly didn’t enjoy himself as much this season. He wants out and I don’t blame him. Maybe he succeeds, maybe he stays the same but he put the work in and I think he deserves a chance somewhere else without our scorn.
Agree with this. His one-timer would be a good book end with Nadeau on the PP.

My qualm with Necas is sometimes forgetting it’s a team game and the fact that he hasn’t worked enough on his upper body to be a more physical player.

He has the frame to get stronger, but just hasn’t committed to it, ie the way Jarvis has. He used his body more in the corners this year but come playoff time you need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad