Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yes. That's what I said.

Legit don't know how you came to this conclusion because...

• Pulock is notably better than Pelech right now.
  • NTCs/Modified NTC's travel with a player. So if a team trades for Pelech they can't trade him again without his consent after July 1, 2025. However any team that acquires Pulock has until October 2027 to trade him again without consent. More flexibility = More value.

This is why I was clarifying because this doesn't make sense.

They both currently have full NTCs. If that protection travels with the player then Pulock has full control of where he goes until the 2027-28 season. Pelech only has that protection for one more year.

Any team looking to acquire Pelech can move him after next season to one of the 16 teams not on his list without him needing to waive anything. Any team looking to acquire Pulock has to wait much longer for that same situation to kick in on his deal or they'll need his consent.

Last edited:
Reactions: doublechili

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

They both currently have full NTCs. If that protection travels with the player then Pulock has full control of where he goes until the 2027-28 season. Pelech only has that protection for one more year.

Any team looking to acquire Pelech can move him after next season to one of the 16 teams not on his list without him needing to waive anything. Any team looking to acquire Pulock has to wait much longer for that same situation to kick in on his deal, or they'll need his consent.
I think that Pelech goes eventually but because his play hasn't helped the isles lately. Pulock has to be put on the 1st power play sooner or later. I wish he just shot the puck more because that slapper is LETHAL.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Any team looking to acquire Pelech can move him after next season to one of the 16 teams not on his list without him needing to waive anything. Any team looking to acquire Pulock has to wait much longer for that same situation to kick in on his deal or they'll need his consent.
Yeah, Pelech and Pulock have total control over their destinations at this point. They become MORE trade-able when their full NTCs switch to partial NTCs (16 team no-trade list) in a year and in three years.

For the conspiracy-minded out there, Barzal and Sorokin have zero trade protection until 7/1/24 when a full NMC kicks in for Sorokin and a partial NTC (22 team no-trade list) kicks in for Barzal.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Gotcha. I read it backwards in that I thought Pelech/Pulock had no trade protection now and then they both get partial ones in 2025 and 2027 respectively. Now I see it's full NTC to modified NTC.

Now that we got that cleared...Can't see any deal happening for them. There's just no reason for any team to give up anything of value given their cost, play, age, needing to be on the hook until 2029-2040, and other defensive options on the market in any given year.

And that's before considering that the GM that gave them those full NTCs...Is still GM. These guys aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Pelech's contract is unfortunately quite underwater right now and NYI shouldn't be dealing draft picks (which would surely need to be a 1st rounder at least) to dump Pelech. It's part of why retooling this team is going to be so difficult for a while.

Best thing NYI can hope for is that Roy is able to figure out why he's underperforming. If it's physical, how can we recover to get back where he was a few years ago. If it's mental, then that's easier and the coaching staff can work on that. He's still only 29, so should have 3-5 more full prime years left. Not too long ago he was one of the top shut down d-men in the entire league. Too early to say he's washed up based on a couple of down years.

Hmmmm... I love your idea of this being a mental issue with Pelech. We saw with Trotz came in he out of seemingly nowhere became a shutdown defenseman. I hope you are correct with this otherwise that contract will be an anchor I was not originally expecting.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Hmmmm... I love your idea of this being a mental issue with Pelech. We saw with Trotz came in he out of seemingly nowhere became a shutdown defenseman. I hope you are correct with this otherwise that contract will be an anchor I was not originally expecting.
I want to see Pelech and the rest of the D after a full offseason and camp under Roy. I don't know what Lambert tried to install here but it sent the entire D corps into complete disarray.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I want to see Pelech and the rest of the D after a full offseason and camp under Roy. I don't know what Lambert tried to install here but it sent the entire D corps into complete disarray.

This is completely fair as well. We saw Pelech and Pulock both as healthy scratches even after Trotz came in that first season. By the end of the year they held Crosby scoreless in a playoff series. This being said I still view this defensive corps as too slow to compete agains the better teams in the league.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
What we should do...Fire lou, hire a new GM who is interested in building a team through the draft and accelerate the process by having a firesale.

What we will do...Bring back Lou, maybe make the playoffs and then get bounced by the Rags or Hurricanes in 4 or 5 games. Then he'll do the same thing for the 2025-26 season.

Reactions: islesfan3913

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
What we should do...Fire lou, hire a new GM who is interested in building a team through the draft and accelerate the process by having a firesale.

What we will do...Bring back Lou, maybe make the playoffs and then get bounced by the Rags or Hurricanes in 4 or 5 games. Then he'll do the same thing for the 2025-26 season.
Not to mention the hefty 6 year extension awaiting Nelson and the 4 years he'll give to Palmieri and Reilly.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I know that we suck and our GM is old and terrible and our owners are obviously dumb and there's no way we can be competitive ever again... But just want to say that it was a fun season. Crazy ups and downs but a nice push at the end to make the playoffs. And always fun to be in the tournament.

Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Engvall, Romanov, Dobson. That's a helluva (still young) core. Most brought in by Lou I might add. Hoping whatever moves the team makes, the strategy is to improve next season. Not seven seasons from now.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Do think Lou makes the tough decision and deals Nelson for a 1st, a roster player and a B prospect at the draft. Then Uses his (2) first rounders to attempt to get an impact D man or a legit #6 guy both somewhat youngish. . He does figure a way to dump JPG and the rest relies on a bounce back season from #30. Gonna be tough to root for Rod's band of brothers vrs the ragies but gotta do what we gotta do. I'll be doing some drive by's to find what skinny 18 year old kid you want to draft in June. LGI

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
I know that we suck and our GM is old and terrible and our owners are obviously dumb and there's no way we can be competitive ever again... But just want to say that it was a fun season. Crazy ups and downs but a nice push at the end to make the playoffs. And always fun to be in the tournament.

Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Engvall, Romanov, Dobson. That's a helluva (still young) core. Most brought in by Lou I might add. Hoping whatever moves the team makes, the strategy is to improve next season. Not seven seasons from now.
Not a great sign when you need to squeeze Engvall into your core. :help:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Not a great sign when you need to squeeze Engvall into your core. :help:
That's your takeaway from my post? smh

Engvall is a good player. And young and fast (I thought that's what you people cream your pants over). And "core" doesn't have to mean first liner. He was effective on that third line.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
In looking at the Canes' CapFriendly, this run is huge for them. They have a bunch of pending UFA/RFA's that I assume they would be looking to re-sign.

Turbo
Guentzel (probably not a re-sign candidate)
Necas (in line for a raise)
Martinook (in line for a raise)
Drury
Jarvis (big raise)
Noesen
Skjei
Pesce
Chatfield

Perhaps we could use their cap crunch to our advantage?

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
That's your takeaway from my post? smh
Just thought it was funny you’re including him as part of our core. Yeesh. My overall takeaway though is that it’s certainly one of the 32 cores in the National Hockey League.
Engvall is a good player. And young and fast (I thought that's what you people cream your pants over).
What do you mean “you people”?
He was effective on that third line.
He seemed better in the handful of playoff games, but “effective” is not the word I’d use to describe the large majority of his play this season.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Just thought it was funny you’re including him as part of our core. Yeesh. My overall takeaway though is that it’s certainly one of the 32 cores in the National Hockey League.

He seemed better in the handful of playoff games, but “effective” is not the word I’d use to describe the large majority of his play this season.
A lot of players weren't necessarily "effective" for large portions of the season. It was a strange one. Whenever someone gets into a slump, fans are ready to dump him for a bag of pucks. When they get hot, they concede "this was the one good move Lou made." Until they suck again. We see this with virtually every player.

Overall, I like what I've seen from Engvall since he's been here. Especially his speed. And he seems to elevate his play in bigger games which is encouraging.

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
Do think Lou makes the tough decision and deals Nelson for a 1st, a roster player and a B prospect at the draft. Then Uses his (2) first rounders to attempt to get an impact D man or a legit #6 guy both somewhat youngish. . He does figure a way to dump JPG and the rest relies on a bounce back season from #30. Gonna be tough to root for Rod's band of brothers vrs the ragies but gotta do what we gotta do. I'll be doing some drive by's to find what skinny 18 year old kid you want to draft in June. LGI
I would prefer this with Palmeiri instead

Reactions: 19 in a row

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad