Management Sens hire Rob DiMaio as Director of player development and Pro Scouting

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I'm so confused. I thought they hired DiMaio for this job? So it's Green as both the coach and Director of PP?
no.. they hired two different men, you have attacked both hires.

What I am saying is: wait 2 years and then see if you are right and then attack.

It is fine to voice concern. it is fine to offer opinion that is anti.. But, you and others have taken a more brute force attack.

DiMaio has to be given his chance, As does Green. We have seen nothing, nor have anything concrete to validate that the hirings are poor. We will know in time.

good thing I am already bald. The scrap of the scalp would have taken all my hair with it.

Reactions: aragorn

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
no.. they hired two different men, you have attacked both hires.

What I am saying is: wait 2 years and then see if you are right and then attack.

It is fine to voice concern. it is fine to offer opinion that is anti.. But, you and others have taken a more brute force attack.

DiMaio has to be given his chance, As does Green. We have seen nothing, nor have anything concrete to validate that the hirings are poor. We will know in time.

good thing I am already bald. The scrap of the scalp would have taken all my hair with it.

Sorry, I was being a jerk. My post was meant as a joke, but it went over your head. Instead of politely pointing out it was a joke, I doubled down, which was a jerk move.

I made what was meant to be a satirical comment. The big hot take when Green was hired was that we are a budget team again, and if Andlauer wanted to win he would have paid Berube. My post was meant to satirize that take.

The joke is that I am making the same complaint about this hire, but the punchline is that Berube is a coach not a scout. So it doesn't make sense that they would hire him for this position. It's a riff on the same criticism you are upset about fans making.

I get it, I am not Edgar Bergen.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
This is the next GM. Calling it.
when? You have to figure Staios has 2 years. He will have to bump Poulie and Bowness.

He may not be promoted to AGM until one or all 3 above him are gone (Staios, Poulin, Bowness).

he is still 2 positions away.

Reactions: Cosmix

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Sorry, I was being a jerk. My post was meant as a joke, but it went over your head. Instead of politely pointing out it was a joke, I doubled down, which was a jerk move.

I made what was meant to be a satirical comment. The big hot take when Green was hired was that we are a budget team again, and if Andlauer wanted to win he would have paid Berube. My post was meant to satirize that take.

The joke is that I am making the same complaint about this hire, but the punchline is that Berube is a coach not a scout. So it doesn't make sense that they would hire him for this position. It's a riff on the same criticism you are upset about fans making.

I get it, I am not Edgar Bergen.
second time in one thread. now I am bald and no scalp!!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
when? You have to figure Staios has 2 years. He will have to bump Poulie and Bowness.

He may not be promoted to AGM until one or all 3 above him are gone (Staios, Poulin, Bowness).

he is still 2 positions away.
Bowness isn’t Staios’ guy, and he doesn’t need to be an Asst. GM before he’s made a GM.

I’d be surprised if DiMaio wasn’t the GM within the next year or two with Staios jumping back to the POHO duties.

They never just lucked into him leaving the Ducks last week and made an offer, those talks were likely ongoing, he was given a plan for him, and I’d imagine that coincides with Staios giving up the GM role he was forced into.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Bowness isn’t Staios’ guy, and he doesn’t need to be an Asst. GM before he’s made a GM.

I’d be surprised if DiMaio wasn’t the GM within the next year or two.
then why this route?

Why not hire a pro scout side, with the intention of leaving him in his position for 4-6 years (or more) and pump Dimaio in as an AGM right away. He could then use the 1-2 years to work on all aspects and it would ease his transition.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I have no idea what to expect from Dimaio as a front office guy but I loved him as a player. He was a fiesty little bugger who scored 13 goals one season and 10 goals in two other seasons yet he managed to hang around for just under 900 games by being a complete pain in the ass to play against. My kind of player. I'm guessing he does well here.

Reactions: LiseL and asw

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
then why this route?

Why not hire a pro scout side, with the intention of leaving him in his position for 4-6 years (or more) and pump Dimaio in as an AGM right away. He could then use the 1-2 years to work on all aspects and it would ease his transition.
That would make more sense, if Staois was going to do just POHO in the future.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Looks like a pretty good hire. Any info on his work? Kinda hard to assess the behind the scenes guys but he has a wealth of experience at the NHL level and was part of a championship run. Wish him the best of luck.

Reactions: LiseL

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
That would make more sense, if Staois was going to do just POHO in the future.
Which is what Bondratime argued. And Qward guessed at.

Strange that if indeed Staios simply wants to be POHO, that he would not sit with Andlauer, tell him this. Then (assuming Andlauer is okay), he does not either hire a GM as soon as he could (if DiMaio, okay) or hires DiMaio as an AGM (the A being Assistant or Associate) and turns it over to him in 1-2 years.

And in ethical practice, informs Poulin and Bowness that they will not be GMs and gives them freedom to move on, if they choose.

DiMaio has never been in a "all round boss chair". He lived in Toronto. So, he would not have been around a staff at the LA Office. What happens if/when he is given the job?

Awfully strange. And then to add, now another pro side head will be needed within 1-2 years.

What will happen when Poulin or Bowness disagree with him on some trade or FA. And a year later he is their boss? Or if they bad mouth his work? Complain to Staios or Andlauer.

Like I said, strange

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What will happen when Poulin or Bowness disagree with him on some trade or FA. And a year later he is their boss? Or if they bad mouth his work? Complain to Staios or Andlauer.
I’m not concerned about that, because I have no idea, like anyone else, if there is a future plan or not.
I’m happy they keep adding to the front office, with hockey minds, different ideas, to toss around between them.

Reactions: Cosmix

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I’m not concerned about that, because I have no idea, like anyone else, if there is a future plan or not.
I’m happy they keep adding to the front office, with hockey minds, different ideas, to toss around between them.
ideas can be tossed around and create confusion. What this team needs is knowledge and experience and sound decisions.

Running a team is similar to Engineering. A world I know well.

Never ever put a group of Engineers together. It is a waste of time.

Rely on one or two, and hope they are good at what they do. Hope one is an egghead who can pound out math and therefore do the theory.. And hope the other has hands on experience and can weed out the practical from the impractical.

2 of us, designed 100 M in products. I was the egg head. He had experience. I could predict the size of gas orifices and air openings, he understood controls and operation. I gave him a heat exchanger that was 95% efficient, he designed the burner. I predicted the location of the igniter and flame sensor. He added the controls. We ended up with a 79.7% combustion efficiency and 75% net efficiency.. Near perfect for a mid range class I or class II appliance.

I designed much of it, he added controls and electronics. I designed an outdoor version, he got it certified.

A hockey team is the same, you need the guy whose eyes can tell him yes or no. And the guy who can handle the logistics. The guy who can tell you draft A and not B, the guy who can tell you trade for A and not B. Or FA sign A and not B. And the guy who can make it happen.

The Murray and Dorion years are testimony to poor Engineering.

For reference, when we bench marked against our competitors, they were at 67% net efficiency!! 2 of us. World wide sales.

Egghead and the Fixer.

Reactions: LiseL and Blotto71

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Love your posts, but man did I chuckle at this after your comment about farting in public.
think what a group of young engineers. All of us straight outthe movie nerds. All of us formed in 4 years of engineering schools with 1500 other plumbers (McGill slang for engineers). at this company and what our talk was like, what our actions were like?

they kept us penned in, in a different section of the building, to keep us among our own and away from normal people.

In a past job, we spent weeks talking about the speed of a fart in vacuum.

I worked at Dalsa (it later merged with IBM). They made CCD sensors (Optical devices that capture images.. the way we film today). 25 of us, mostly Masters and PHD guys. You would have died.

Spend a week at U of O in teh Engineering building, you will need therapy afterwards.

Reactions: Blotto71

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
think what a group of young engineers. All of us straight outthe movie nerds. All of us formed in 4 years of engineering schools with 1500 other plumbers (McGill slang for engineers). at this company and what our talk was like, what our actions were like?
Now there's a movie we need a reboot of, revenge of the nerds, maybe throw in a Porky's reboot while we're at it.

Reactions: Blotto71 and Beech

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dimaio, Green, Poulin, McKee, Boumgartner - soon all the Sens team meals will only be meat and potatoes

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad