Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He could theoretically lead two OF positions in DRS which is hilarious
Last year, he led the majors (all positions) with 29 DRS. He's currently on pace for 47.

Last year, he finished sixth with 12 FRV. He's currently on pace for 29.

At this point, he's the best defensive player in baseball by a pretty wide margin. I reeeeeeally hope he can keep hitting at an above average rate.

Reactions: jetsforever and MS

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Here's a thought, Ross, you dumb son of a bitch, if there's a premium on player values right now, how about you start selling our vets for said premium, instead of looking to buy for a team that has no shot at competing?

There is your answer.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

There is your answer.

IF Jays traded them both for a premium, I think they can skip the whole suckage stage and open a new contention window in 2025. I don’t think this team has to suck for very long at all.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

There is your answer.
If either of those guys gets moved, it'll be right near the deadline. There's no way they bail on this group now.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I wonder what a package for Bichette would look like.
A lot...

Here are some BTV trade boards

If a team like Atlanta were interested, these would likely be lower than the real value.

I'd expect a top 100 prospect and a starter as a bare minimum

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I still wouldn’t mind keeping Vlad longterm. He’s more Yandy Diaz than Pete Alonso but the value still ends up being around the same. If he ever gets to a point where he can consistently tap into his power then he’d become the biggest offensive threat in baseball.

Also a reminder that a similar downward trend happened to Harper around the same age. You could say he peaked at 22 but his game has developed into a consistent offensive weapon atop a deadly lineup. It’d be tough to see that happen to Vladdy at another ball club.

Reactions: saska sault

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Is there a stat for hitting against good pitching ?

Like batting average vs. Other team’s aces ?

Seems Vlad and Bichette are feasting off below average pitching

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Is there a stat for hitting against good pitching ?

Like batting average vs. Other team’s aces ?

Seems Vlad and Bichette are feasting off below average pitching
I don't know about a stat that shows anything like that, but Bo has two 3+ hit games this year and they've come against Fedde (who's having a great season) and Burnes. Vlad has three 3+ hit games and they've been against SWR (meh), Nola, and Eflin.

So at the very least most of their best games have been against strong starters.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don't know about a stat that shows anything like that, but Bo has two 3+ hit games this year and they've come against Fedde (who's having a great season) and Burnes. Vlad has three 3+ hit games and they've been against SWR (meh), Nola, and Eflin.

So at the very least most of their best games have been against strong starters.
interesting !

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
We're starting to come up on a few realities that we can't escape.

1) This management group sucks at evaluating baseball players. You can make the argument that they made a mistake last year and thought the park would play differently, but the constant addition of pieces that don't properly compliment the core has become impossible to ignore.

2) This group sucks at negotiating contracts. We have neither of Bo nor Vladdy signed long term. There is a suggestion above that Jano might walk. Our long term contracts were either free agents or Berrios (the only non-free agent to commit here). We've arguably overpaid KK this year and IKF. We're approaching a payroll cap while still having holes.

3) This group sucks at evaluating prospects. We have the highest paid and biggest front office in baseball and they've combined to miss on most of the prospects that they've taken. Manoah is by far the best prospect since Bo, but the truth is that this organization simply hasn't been developing guys.
(The Jays prospect pool is mostly 2B/SS guys who might have to move and SP who may or may not be able to start).

4) There is something seriously rotten with the entire coaching process. The hitters aren't hitting, but more importantly, there are long stretches of non-competitive at bats which indicate that performance cannot normalize to a high level. Either Schneider is getting so caught up in the people side of the game that he's making bone-headed decisions or someone is feeding him bad decisions. As much as people like to pump up Pete Walker, I think he's had success with a couple of guys that has earned him a reputation that goes way beyond what he's actually done.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

1) This management group sucks at evaluating baseball players. You can make the argument that they made a mistake last year and thought the park would play differently, but the constant addition of pieces that don't properly compliment the core has become impossible to ignore.

2) This group sucks at negotiating contracts. We have neither of Bo nor Vladdy signed long term. There is a suggestion above that Jano might walk. Our long term contracts were either free agents or Berrios (the only non-free agent to commit here). We've arguably overpaid KK this year and IKF. We're approaching a payroll cap while still having holes.

3) This group sucks at evaluating prospects. We have the highest paid and biggest front office in baseball and they've combined to miss on most of the prospects that they've taken. Manoah is by far the best prospect since Bo, but the truth is that this organization simply hasn't been developing guys.
(The Jays prospect pool is mostly 2B/SS guys who might have to move and SP who may or may not be able to start).

4) There is something seriously rotten with the entire coaching process. The hitters aren't hitting, but more importantly, there are long stretches of non-competitive at bats which indicate that performance cannot normalize to a high level. Either Schneider is getting so caught up in the people side of the game that he's making bone-headed decisions or someone is feeding him bad decisions. As much as people like to pump up Pete Walker, I think he's had success with a couple of guys that has earned him a reputation that goes way beyond what he's actually done.
I would also add, they are too slow to make necessary changes. Took way too long to get rid of Montoyo.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I don't really agree here.

The pitching staff in particular with Berrios/Bassitt/Gausman/Kikuchi have all been absolutely terrific acquisitions. Ray before that. They're really good at evaluating pitchers, in particular. But also the Chapman, Semien moves were excellent, and Varsho is an awesome player even if they overpaid for him.

Where they've fallen down is adding an additional power bat to replace Teoscar.

Agreed. The fact that Bichette and Guerrero are now 1.5 years from free agency and still not signed is ... not good. Jansen looks set to walk. They're at risk here of losing basically the entire young core that looked so promising circa 2021 for nothing or pennies on the dollar and left themselves in a rough position.

Somewhat agreed.

Pitching in particular is a problem. It's very strange that they're so good at acquiring pitching talent but so bad at developing it.

Position players have been fine, especially factoring Moreno into the equation.

They have been good at selling high on prospects in trades, though.

Completely agreed. The failure to find a way to maximize Guerrero's abilities in particular is a huge problem. But in terms of approach it just hasn't been good since 2022.

I would also add, they are too slow to make necessary changes. Took way too long to get rid of Montoyo.

Agreed completely here.

And the total non-reaction to the complete debacle to end last season belongs here, too. You can't end a season like that with everyone from the fans to the media to the players that upset about what happened, change absolutely nothing, and then expect you're going to have the environment required to win games the following year.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

By RONALD BLUM

Updated 4:32 PM EDT, May 23, 2024

NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball says robot home plate umpires are unlikely for 2025.

“We still have some technical issues,” baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said Thursday at a news conference following an owners meeting. “We haven’t made as much progress in the minor leagues this year as we sort of hoped at this point. I think it’s becoming more and more likely that this will not be a go for ’25.”

MLB has been experimenting with the automated ball-strike system in minor leagues since 2019. It is being used at all Triple-A parks this year for the second straight season, the robot alone for the first three games of each series and a human with a challenge system in the final three.

“There’s a growing consensus in large part based on what we’re hearing from players that the challenge form should be the form of ABS if and when we bring it to the big leagues, at least as a starting point,” Manfred said. “I think that’s a good decision.”

After instituting a pitch clock in 2023, MLB slowed innovation this year, with only small rules adjustments.

“One thing we did learn with the changes that we went through last year, taking the extra time to make sure you have it right is definitely the best approach,” Manfred said. “I think we’re going to use that same approach here.”

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Roden has really heat up recently. 12 hits over his last 32 ABs (last 10 games), including a 6:2 BB/K ratio, 2 HBP, and 4 home runs.

Edit: nvm I guess there was a double header today so sprinkle in an 0-3 with another BB and 2Ks, but the power stroke is intriguing.

It also looks like Groshans got banished to the Yanks AA squad. Crazy how much raw power he showed on the circuit and it effectively went nowhere at the pro level.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Roden has really heat up recently. 12 hits over his last 32 ABs (last 10 games), including a 6:2 BB/K ratio, 2 HBP, and 4 home runs.

Edit: nvm I guess there was a double header today so sprinkle in an 0-3 with another BB and 2Ks, but the power stroke is intriguing.

It also looks like Groshans got banished to the Yanks AA squad. Crazy how much raw power he showed on the circuit and it effectively went nowhere at the pro level.
Buffalo had a double header too, and Orelvis had a rollercoaster day: 0-5 with 4 Ks in game one, then 2-2 with a 2B, HR, and BB in game two.

Reactions: Eyedea

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Buffalo had a double header too, and Orelvis had a rollercoaster day: 0-5 with 4 Ks in game one, then 2-2 with a 2B, HR, and BB in game two.

Even though he’s been in a funk, every time he actually connects for a hit it goes out of the park.

He’s kinda like Morel, who funny enough was always projected as being a versatile defender but has been just disastrous defensively and more of a DH. Still his bat should be a lot better than it has (based on statcast numbers) and would be perfectly suited in a DH role.

Reactions: Discoverer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad