Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning reaquire Ryan McDonagh and a 2024 4th rd pick for a 2nd and 7th rd pick

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It's not necessary anymore. The only reason to trade him was for another defenseman who made less but was similar in ability. We got one for a 2nd and get to keep Serg. We have 6 possibilities at our top 4 that work now.

Hedman-Raddysh/Cernak/Sergachev
McDonagh-Raddysh/Cernak/Sergachev

If Dumba signs for a certain number, he can play 3rd pairing

Trade Perbix and Jeannot
Probably perbix and sheary are gone and then they sign stamkos and motte

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I think its gonna be Sergachev
I don't see how this happens. He specifically said he wants to be able to roll with the current top 4 logging 80% of the minutes in big games. Don't see the logic in bringing in a top 4 D then trading away another one.

Reactions: Stammertime91

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Stamkos-Point-Kuch
Hagel-Cirelli-Paul
Lafferty-Dowd-Ace
Motte-Glendening-Chaffee/Goncalves

Hedman-Raddysh/Serg
McD-Cernak
Llleberg/Serg-Raddysh
Crozier

Vasy

If Stamkos does come in cheap enough, they could, in theory, have enough to sign someone like Lafferty and trade for someone like Dowd w/retention(not sure if the Caps want to move him or Tampa could make it work, but it could be an option). Otherwise, roll Paul at 3C and either give Ace or one of the Crunch promotions a shot in the top 6. The defense was addressed and the offense still has all the main threats from a team that averaged over 3.4 gf/g and was 5th or 6th in the league.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see how this happens. He specifically said he wants to be able to roll with the current top 4 logging 80% of the minutes in big games. Don't see the logic in bringing in a top 4 D then trading away another one.
Because they aren't going to leave 20% of the game to the highest paid defenseman on the team.

With McDonagh coming in, someone has to go to bring Stamkos back. Or even to make the attempt. To me, it looks like that someone is Sergachev.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We didn't give up 2 years at all in my opinion. We didn't have money for Serg and McDonagh at the same time. The cap is going up and Stamkos is off the books for his $8.5 million hit. I mean if I blindfold you, tie your ankles and hands and someone says "Alright Schmitz, kick that guy's ass" are you really gonna be able to do it? That's exactly what has been happening to us for 4 years because the cap has been flat since the Truman Administration.

We're probably "this close" to "We're good now"

McDonagh was always vital to this teams cup chances, a key piece, Sergachev and Cirelli were nowhere near as important.

Yeah the cap got us, but we chose the wrong guy to trade and I think the last two years has just made what I thought at the time abundantly clear.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think its gonna be Sergachev
The only reason I'd say there's a chance is because this was off the radar. I don't think anybody thought we'd see McDonagh back here again.

With that said, it wouldn't make sense to go back to the 1-2-3 recipe of LD, just to move Sergachev. As much as it pains and worries us to think of him taking over for Hedman in due time, I don't think you break up the defensive trio (+Cernak) that we had for 3 consecutive runs. I think it's Cirelli. If not, we would be better off moving Jeannot, Perbix, and Sheary, rolling three anybody's in their place, resign Stammer, and call it an offseason. I don't see us moving Sergachev. Especially not after the recovery and him coming back to play. That is just incredibly out of left field to build the back end, then break it down - again. It also makes JBB look clueless having traded McD, resigned Serg for a boatload, reacquire McD, then trade Serg. That just makes him look like a horse's ass to other GMs. Which.... is kinda why this is out of nowhere. Teams typically don't do this unless your name is David Perron :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McDonagh was always vital to this teams cup chances, a key piece, Sergachev and Cirelli were nowhere near as important.

Yeah the cap got us, we chose the wrong guy to trade and I think the last two years has just made what I thought at the time abundantly clear
I'm still shocked that we moved McDonagh instead of a forward.

The difference now is Sergachev makes the most money. Which might be ok if he were at least our PP1 guy. But as is, we are paying 8.5 to a guy who's unlikely to break 50 points, AND we just brought in a guy who we will likely depend more on defensively. To me, that spells the end for Sergachev. He also likely has ridiculous trade value.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Yeah the cap got us, but we chose the wrong guy to trade and I think the last two years has just made what I thought at the time abundantly clear.
Exactly. It was stupid as f*** then and in hindsight, it never materialized to McD "slowing down" because of the series against Colorado. We went from him to Ian Cole and CDH, with Sergachev not taking a step forward over the last +100 games. We could have parted with Cirelli, kept the 1/2/3 in tact, and then elevated Paul to 2C which we ended up doing anyhow. I believe if we had McD out there in those 3rd period meltdowns/OT chokes against Toronto, we make it past them. Might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but choosing Cirelli over him was dumb.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They won't move Serg as McD, as good as he may still be for a season or two, is almost 35. Serg has many years left, and he, Cirelli, Cernak, Hagel etc are main pieces of the future core around Tampa. McD could've maybe been kept one additional season, but moving him was always the most likely move rather than any of the early-mid 20's up.and coming guys. It's great that they were able to get McD back to help push for one more cup with this group, but it still shouldn't mean trading any of the younger guys who will be part of the core for ghe.nwxt 6-8 years imo. Even if they moved Serg and got a true top pairing or high end 2nd pairing RD that was cheaper in the trade, they still face big ? very soon on the left in that scenario, as neither Hedman nor McD are exactly young anymore.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only reason I'd say there's a chance is because this was off the radar. I don't think anybody thought we'd see McDonagh back here again.

With that said, it wouldn't make sense to go back to the 1-2-3 recipe of LD, just to move Sergachev. As much as it pains and worries us to think of him taking over for Hedman in due time, I don't think you break up the defensive trio (+Cernak) that we had for 3 consecutive runs. I think it's Cirelli. If not, we would be better off moving Jeannot, Perbix, and Sheary, rolling three anybody's in their place, resign Stammer, and call it an offseason. I don't see us moving Sergachev. Especially not after the recovery and him coming back to play. That is just incredibly out of left field to build the back end, then break it down - again. It also makes JBB look clueless having traded McD, resigned Serg for a boatload, reacquire McD, then trade Serg. That just makes him look like a horse's ass to other GMs. Which.... is kinda why this is out of nowhere. Teams typically don't do this unless your name is David Perron :sarcasm:
Not really. Sergachev wouldnt be a cap dump. We would be trading him for serious value, and probably a lesser cap hit. We could probably bring in either a 2C or a 3C+RD and still save 2m that could be used to bring Stamkos back.

It's hard to imagine this move not being part of a bigger puzzle, because, if it's not, we just sent Stamkos out of town without even trying to keep him.

Hedman - Raddysh
McDonagh - Cernak

Seems most likely. I dont see how you put 8.5m beneath that, expecting 45 points max, and then wave goodbye to Stamkos over it.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Exactly. It was stupid as f*** then and in hindsight, it never materialized to McD "slowing down" because of the series against Colorado. We went from him to Ian Cole and CDH, with Sergachev not taking a step forward over the last +100 games. We could have parted with Cirelli, kept the 1/2/3 in tact, and then elevated Paul to 2C which we ended up doing anyhow. I believe if we had McD out there in those 3rd period meltdowns/OT chokes against Toronto, we make it past them. Might not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but choosing Cirelli over him was dumb.
I was all in for trading Serge and Killer right after the repeat. We could end up getting absolutely stupid value for Serge if that's what we end up doing. I am just glad I will never have to watch him anchor a pairing ever again. He is a guy who peaked early and has been in a sophomore slump for like 5 years

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don’t think JBB has the balls to deal a guy who has 7 years left on a deal on the eve of their NTC kicking in.

It will happen at the draft of it happens

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Because they aren't going to leave 20% of the game to the highest paid defenseman on the team.

With McDonagh coming in, someone has to go to bring Stamkos back. Or even to make the attempt. To me, it looks like that someone is Sergachev.
Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak and McDonagh will log 80% of the minutes. The other 20% will go to whatever combination of Raddysh, Lilleberg and whoever the hell else will play on the bottom pair.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They won't move Serg as McD, as good as he may still be for a season or two, is almost 35. Serg has many years left, and he, Cirelli, Cernak, Hagel etc are main pieces of the future core around Tampa. McD could've maybe been kept one additional season, but moving him was always the most likely move rather than any of the early-mid 20's up.and coming guys. It's great that they were able to get McD back to help push for one more cup with this group, but it still shouldn't mean trading any of the younger guys who will be part of the core for ghe.nwxt 6-8 years imo. Even if they moved Serg and got a true top pairing or high end 2nd pairing RD that was cheaper in the trade, they still face big ? very soon on the left in that scenario, as neither Hedman nor McD are exactly young anymore.
McD has two years left. That seems about the max length of our window. I dont think we are planning much past that, really.

Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak and McDonagh will log 80% of the minutes. The other 20% will go to whatever combination of Raddysh, Lilleberg and whoever the hell else will play on the bottom pair.
There's only one lefty on the ice at a time. If you think we are moving Serg therepermanently, let me introduce you to Jon Cooper and we can ask him the last time something like that stuck long term. Coburn? Actually I think he even moved Coburn back to his natural side.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sergachev and Cirelli would clear 15M in capspace. With Sergachev essentially already replaced we could get a good forward back, assets and capspace to sign someone solid Dylan Demelo who can eat defensive responsibilities as well if you're worried about burnout for McD/Cernak.

Could see us signing Tyler Johnson for 3C if we move Cirelli as well.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Not really. Sergachev wouldnt be a cap dump. We would be trading him for serious value, and probably a lesser cap hit. We could probably bring in either a 2C or a 3C+RD and still save 2m that could be used to bring Stamkos back.

It's hard to imagine this move not being part of a bigger puzzle, because, if it's not, we just sent Stamkos out of town without even trying to keep him.

Hedman - Raddysh
McDonagh - Cernak

Seems most likely. I dont see how you put 8.5m beneath that, expecting 45 points max, and then wave goodbye to Stamkos over it.
Of course, he's not a cap dump by a longshot.

I don't think Hedman/Serg/Lilleberg + CDH is much different than Hedman/McD/Lilleberg. I think today's move is neutralized if you immediately remove Sergachev. I absolutely prefer McD over Sergachev, but having three PMD logging +18mins a night is monumental. McDonagh is still logging big minutes but at some point, if he's extended as well (which was mentioned as a desire), then you have to look at Sergachev increasing TOI while they decrease.

Obviously, if there's a package where a legit middle six winger is available or a RD on a good contract is offered, then that's enticing. Then I could see JBB being like, well, my ass is outta here in 2027 when this thing tanks.

Reactions: Sky04

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

If this were 2003 when teams basically could keep their drafted players under team control into their 30’s, I would agree. Back then it was difficult to refill your team with young talent.

In todays NHL it’s much more important to be efficient with your cap space, you’re going to see talent on the market. Sergachev doesn’t bring 8.5m value to the rink nor Cirelli 6.5m, that money can be spent better elsewhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Of course, he's not a cap dump by a longshot.

I don't think Hedman/Serg/Lilleberg + CDH is much different than Hedman/McD/Lilleberg. I think today's move is neutralized if you immediately remove Sergachev. I absolutely prefer McD over Sergachev, but having three PMD logging +18mins a night is monumental. McDonagh is still logging big minutes but at some point, if he's extended as well (which was mentioned as a desire), then you have to look at Sergachev increasing TOI while they decrease.

Obviously, if there's a package where a legit middle six winger is available or a RD on a good contract is offered, then that's enticing. Then I could see JBB being like, well, my ass is outta here in 2027 when this thing tanks.
It's not THAT much better, but it is probably better, andit's cheaper, and there would be at least one player coming back to replace Sergachev. While also giving us the dollars to bring Stamkos back. Hard to imagine not being a better team for the next two years if we aren't spending 8.5 on a 3rd pairing D who's not even on PP1.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Sergachev and Cirelli would clear 15M in capspace. With Sergachev essentially already replaced we could get a good forward back, assets and capspace to sign someone solid Dylan Demelo who can eat defensive responsibilities as well if you're worried about burnout for McD/Cernak.
While true, you have to consider a few things in moving Sergachev.

1. I think JBB realizes no matter how much may have been expressed by McD himself, that not having him here the last two years was a big mistake. Leadership and play, big mistake.

2. Kucherov is a f***ing child. Trading Sergachev may piss him off. It's horrible to even consider that, but I always keep in mind the whole "guys got paid" thing towards Killorn years ago. If there's anybody on the team you keep in mind their "circle" off the ice, it's probably his. Unless you're Vlad and not entirely worthy :sarcasm:

3. The extension and bringing McDonagh back... that just shows his hand to other GMs that he feels a bit uncertain. Couple that with Jeannot, how many here are going to get pissed?

After the 2022 final, I wouldn't have minded with McDonagh being two years younger at 2LD. To move Sergachev now kinda seems a step in reverse when we just took a huge one forward, overall.

I still have Cirelli circled as the guy out of here.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm still shocked that we moved McDonagh instead of a forward.

The difference now is Sergachev makes the most money. Which might be ok if he were at least our PP1 guy. But as is, we are paying 8.5 to a guy who's unlikely to break 50 points, AND we just brought in a guy who we will likely depend more on defensively. To me, that spells the end for Sergachev. He also likely has ridiculous trade value.
we could have traded killorn and kept mcdonagh for 1 more year I have no idea why JBB thought moving mcdonagh was the better option at that time .

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
McD has two years left. That seems about the max length of our window. I dont think we are planning much past that, really.

There's only one lefty on the ice at a time. If you think we are moving Serg therepermanently, let me introduce you to Jon Cooper and we can ask him the last time something like that stuck long term. Coburn? Actually I think he even moved Coburn back to his natural side.
I'm pretty confident that JBB is still planning ahead past the next two years. Yes, Tampa will need to re-tool at some point, but the main core is still averaging between 29 and 30, so with proper adds and especially, a finally increasing salary cap, I don't think JBB considers the next two years all the team has left in terms of contention capability.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm pretty confident that JBB is still planning ahead past the next two years. Yes, Tampa will need to re-tool at some point, but the main core is still averaging between 29 and 30, so with proper adds and especially, a finally increasing salary cap, I don't think JBB considers the next two years all the team has left in terms of contention capability.
If he was planning past the next two years, we wouldnt have Tanner Jeannot right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad