Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning reaquire Ryan McDonagh and a 2024 4th rd pick for a 2nd and 7th rd pick

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wasn't Sergachev taking the majority of PP1 minutes at some point recently? Before he initially got injured? Or was it last year?
Year before, yeah. But by year's end Hedman had retaken the role.

If Sergachev were on PP1, he wouldnt have much trouble justifying the contract. Just hard to imagine that happening with Hedman here. So we wind up paying 8.5m in the here and now for what a guy might do 3 years from now.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Goodbye Jeannot, Sheary, and Perbix. No re-signiing of Dumba and Duclair(probably not Fleury either). Motte can be re-signed and maybe a 3rd/4th line guy like Lafferty. One or two Syracuse guys get a chance and that should be about it, assuming Stamkos does, in fact, re-sign.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Goodbye cirelli and Jeannot. Welcome back Mcd!
Glad to move Jeannot still it would suck to move cirell but this team needed a top 4 defenseman so badly

Goodbye Jeannot, Sheary, and Perbix. No re-signiing of Dumba and Duclair(probably not Fleury either). Motte can be re-signed and maybe a 3rd/4th line guy like Lafferty. One or two Syracuse guys get a chance and that should be about it, assuming Stamkos does, in fact, re-sign.
It’s all about how much Stamkos wants

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not good ones

I would try Stamkos back at center and find an offensive minded winger in free agency with the extra cap space. There are usually decent wingers in free agency not named Sheary in that price range.

Alternatively, there is whatever we can get in return for Cirelli, being ready to step in to play somewhere

Reactions: Stammertime91

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I feel like if we trade Sergachev, it's a sign JBB doesn't trust any of the younger guys and just wants to go all-in on the next two years.

I think I'd prefer that over trying to prolong this 3-5 years. If it doesn't work, trade everyone and start fresh. We've been to hell and back before, we have advantages (tax, weather) that other rebuilding franchises don't have. It's risky but better than what Chicago and Pittsburgh are going through.
I think it's more like Serge has had 2 years to prove he can handle "being the man" and holy shit was it a disaster. I'm not trying to trash the guy but I saw a genuine plateau in the learning curve. Every time he screwed up making the same mistakes we saw over and over again we just said "It'll be fine. Stop over reacting. He's only 20. 21. 22. 23. 24." "This is what your average top 4 D is. We have just been spoiled" and he racked up 100's of games being sheltered behind McDonagh and we're not that much further in 2024 than we were in 2019.

To be completely fair to the guy I think this is a Killorn situation. He once said "The playoffs are easier for me because I'm seeing the same team over and over again" and like Killorn, Sergachev excels in the playoffs but can be a complete dumbass in the regular season

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I think you guys are a bit harsh on Sergy we HAVE been spoiled by having Heddy and Mac. Yes he makes some really mind numbingly bad decisions but he has also made some amazing plays and is our best D in terms of offense ability.

He will improve, And yes our blue line has been a disaster the past two years but that tends to happen when you don’t have Mac as your anchor for the second pairing anymore. Sergy going down earlier this year really exposed our blue line.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm pretty sure the entire coaching staff would rather die first. I'm pretty sure Stamkos' grave would ready "Cirelli's winger" if they had their choice

I forget where I read it, but thought it was floated around from one of the coaches or players towards the end of the regular season. IDK

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think you guys are a bit harsh on Sergy we HAVE been spoiled by having Heddy and Mac. Yes he makes some really mind numbingly bad decisions but he has also made some amazing plays and is our best D in terms of offense ability.

He will improve, And yes our blue line has been a disaster the past two years but that tends to happen when you don’t have Mac as your anchor for the second pairing anymore. Sergy going down earlier this year really exposed our blue line.

As opposed to who? The guy who 3+ 70 point seasons and man's the best PP in the league? Sergachev has like 1 season above 40 points... a little overrating here. Hedman scores way more goals and is a much better passer than Sergachev offensively. There are a lot of defenseman in the league who can produce offense right now, Sergachev being the most expensive defenseman on the team for the role he's in hurts us.

The team had their hottest stretch of the season and clawed back up the standings with Sergachev out. Team went 18-9-3 after Sergachev went down, that's like 110 point pace.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So now we admit trading Ryan was a mistake over moving cirell or killorn ?

Guess now we get to win a playoff series again!

Go bolts I like the trade I just hope we figure Stamkos out soon

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wow. Been trying to process this vs just another emotional fan response.

All I can think of is that JBB is gonna run it back 1 more time...maybe 2?

Whatever happens, happens. Then a fire sale to rebuild.

We need to get younger and faster. Not sure this is the way. Zero retention?

TBC

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
I was all in for trading Serge and Killer right after the repeat. We could end up getting absolutely stupid value for Serge if that's what we end up doing. I am just glad I will never have to watch him anchor a pairing ever again. He is a guy who peaked early and has been in a sophomore slump for like 5 years
796E450B-F486-4C3C-B695-C11D777553A9.gif

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
I think some of us (myself included) might be overthinking the roster puzzle. Let’s boil it down to who is overpaid?

No. 1 on my list is Cernak. He doesn’t score. He’s guaranteed to miss time every year with injuries. Sure, he’s a defensive beast. But I think we all saw how a guy like Niko Mikkola can provide the exact same thing at half the price. HOWEVER, I doubt JBB’s plan is to subtract from his top4 dmen now that he’s just gone to great lengths to reunite them.

No. 2 on my list is Cirelli. Who obviously doesn’t score enough to be worth his salary and is ideally a 3C. But my criticism comes with a caveat … he’s a playoff warrior. Intangibles galore. Very valuable even if he’s overpaid by a million or two. A Cup contender would snap him up in a trade in minutes. And for that same reason I just don’t think JBB wants to move him.

Clearly a lot of you would put Sergachev on this list, and I might be persuaded that he’s overpaid by maybe a million (at most). But he’s a young dman with 2 rings who can do and has done everything on the ice. Young dmen who can score at his level make a lot of money and don’t get traded very much if they can play defense with physicality and grit. Which he does. I get the critiques. We’ve all watched every minute of his career. But for the same reasons JBB probably keeps Cernak, he’ll want to keep Serge. It’s his team and this is his plan.

Jeannot is everybody’s whipping boy, but his salary really isn’t the problem. We haven’t seen him healthy for more than a quarter of a season. Call it ego, pride or stupidity, but I don’t think JBB trades him. I also think he’s one of the few bottom six guys we have who can actually impact the results of games. If he were only available for more of them.

And then there’s the mistake that is Connor Sheary. Anything over a minimum salary makes him overpaid. Yeah, he was hurt, but it’s hard to imagine the Bolts running it back. His track record before last year is good enough that we might be able to pay a team to trade for him. Something like Perbix, Sheary and a 2024 6th for a 2027 7th. Just get him off the roster.

That’s it. That’s the list. Unless JBB get someone to trade for Sheary AND gets a guy like Duclair to sign a below-market deal AND he Jedi mind tricks Stamkos into accepting an insanely low AAV, he’s just going to have to decide whether to trade Cernak, Cirelli or Sergachev.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
At first glance I don't think this is good news for Stamkos or Hedman. Are the lightning moving on ? Hope not but Stamkos agent must have had talks about salary range and I think its too high for the Bolts.

I see Stamkos playing elsewhere next year. You don't take on $6 mil plus in cap if you plan to keep him. Sad but true.
There is a 99% chance Stamkos is back with Tampa next year. All this talk about a 40 goal scorer leaving that has been the face of the franchise for over a decade confuses me.

Reactions: StammerHammer

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There is a 99% chance Stamkos is back with Tampa next year. All this talk about a 40 goal scorer leaving that has been the face of the franchise for over a decade confuses me.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they gave stamkos a 8 year term and front loaded the contract they offered an 8 year deal to killorn for 2.5 million per years. They could offer stamkos 8 years 5.5 million per season

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think some of us (myself included) might be overthinking the roster puzzle. Let’s boil it down to who is overpaid?

No. 1 on my list is Cernak. He doesn’t score. He’s guaranteed to miss time every year with injuries. Sure, he’s a defensive beast. But I think we all saw how a guy like Niko Mikkola can provide the exact same thing at half the price. HOWEVER, I doubt JBB’s plan is to subtract from his top4 dmen now that he’s just gone to great lengths to reunite them.

No. 2 on my list is Cirelli. Who obviously doesn’t score enough to be worth his salary and is ideally a 3C. But my criticism comes with a caveat … he’s a playoff warrior. Intangibles galore. Very valuable even if he’s overpaid by a million or two. A Cup contender would snap him up in a trade in minutes. And for that same reason I just don’t think JBB wants to move him.

Clearly a lot of you would put Sergachev on this list, and I might be persuaded that he’s overpaid by maybe a million (at most). But he’s a young dman with 2 rings who can do and has done everything on the ice. Young dmen who can score at his level make a lot of money and don’t get traded very much if they can play defense with physicality and grit. Which he does. I get the critiques. We’ve all watched every minute of his career. But for the same reasons JBB probably keeps Cernak, he’ll want to keep Serge. It’s his team and this is his plan.

Jeannot is everybody’s whipping boy, but his salary really isn’t the problem. We haven’t seen him healthy for more than a quarter of a season. Call it ego, pride or stupidity, but I don’t think JBB trades him. I also think he’s one of the few bottom six guys we have who can actually impact the results of games. If he were only available for more of them.

And then there’s the mistake that is Connor Sheary. Anything over a minimum salary makes him overpaid. Yeah, he was hurt, but it’s hard to imagine the Bolts running it back. His track record before last year is good enough that we might be able to pay a team to trade for him. Something like Perbix, Sheary and a 2024 6th for a 2027 7th. Just get him off the roster.

That’s it. That’s the list. Unless JBB get someone to trade for Sheary AND gets a guy like Duclair to sign a below-market deal AND he Jedi mind tricks Stamkos into accepting an insanely low AAV, he’s just going to have to decide whether to trade Cernak, Cirelli or Sergachev.
Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix gone takes the available cap space to 10.825. Adding Lilleberg and Crozier takes it back to 9.088. If Stamkos is willing to take a 5x5 type deal(I have no idea if he'd be willing to go that low, just guessing), then they have 4.088 left for 3 or 4 forwards. Motte and a league min/crunch player takes it down to just over 2 million left, and then if Tampa is willing to run 21 they can spend it all on an additional ufa F. If 22 then they can spend 1.2 or so on two bottom 6 guys. They need a couple of Syracuse guys to contribute in the bottom 6 and hope that the ufa or two they can add works out better than Sheary.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix gone takes the available cap space to 10.825. Adding Lilleberg and Crozier takes it back to 9.088. If Stamkos is willing to take a 5x5 type deal(I have no idea if he'd be willing to go that low, just guessing), then they have 4.088 left for 3 or 4 forwards. Motte and a league min/crunch player takes it down to just over 2 million left, and then if Tampa is willing to run 21 they can spend it all on an additional ufa F. If 22 then they can spend 1.2 or so on two bottom 6 guys. They need a couple of Syracuse guys to contribute in the bottom 6 and hope that the ufa or two they can add works out better than Sheary.
My question is what will it cost us to move sheary and jeannot?

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Realistically there are 3 options now:
Stamkos walks
Stamkos re-signs really cheap (4-5 mil max)
Cirelli will be traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad