Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Ryan McDonagh and 2024 4th round pick for 2025 2nd and 2024 7th round picks

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
This leaves Tampa with 5 mil in space with an 18 man roster. Gotta think Stamkos is gone. Otherwise there has to be cap traded elsewhere, and the only big ticket guys without full trade protection are Hagel, Cirelli, Hedman and Kucherov (though Hedman and Kucherov have Modified NTCs and it seems ridiculous to think trading teither would even by considered).

Heddy and Kuch are straight up untouchable. I would think Cirelli gets moved.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Heddy and Kuch are straight up untouchable. I would think Cirelli gets moved.
It would have to be or Cernak, or maybe both. Tampa and Vinik have to understand letting Stamkos walk unless they could show Stammer was being hardline on his salary demands that were way too expensive, would be a PR nightmare - this isn’t like letting Palat and Killorn walk.

Stamkos is literally the highest profile professional sports player in Tampa, fan wise, with maybe the exception of Mike Evans (and during the brief stint with Brady).

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Would both Cirelli and Cernak get moved? They've got a lotta money tied up on D now

I think both could be moved and probably will. We shouldn’t have ever traded Mac to begin with, Sergachev going down exposed our blue line badly this year.

There is no way JBB and Vinik let Stammer just walk unless his salary demands are lunacy. Fan base would riot.

Reactions: JKG33

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I don't understand the direction Nashville is going in. McDonagh was good this year and also we don't need cap space. Trotz clearly wants to compete now also so I don't see how this makes us better but I guess will take the 2nd round pick?
The direction is a rebuild/retool. Expect Saros to follow.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Nashville got him for practically free, got good mileage out of him, then sent him back as he was older for a better return?

….interesting.

I suppose this makes space for a couple youngsters to move up, as well as gives more cap flexibility if needed. We won't be able to replace his play next year so that does hurt, but his cap hit still looks a little scary for his age the next 2 years. I was waiting for him to drop off, but he was still very steady for us so maybe those concerns aren't going to materialize.

Tampa certainly knows what they are getting in him as well as anyone, so I expect they are very happy with this deal.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Sergachev.
Looking at his cap hit I'm not even sure that would have been enough. Tampa got a replacement player and ended up saving 4.2 mil total in the move, Sergachev was making 4.8 mil but part of those savings would go to another roster player. That was a big part of the issue, they'd have to unload two decent players and at that point the roster is looking more like a weird retool and they were definitely hoping to be Cup contenders that year.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Cirelli to Buffalo seems like a significant possibility with no trade protection.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
We traded him due to cap space.. simple as that. JBB never wanted to move him.

No, but he didn't have to extend Sergachev Cirelli, and Cernak when he did. He could have waited, or at least waited on one or two of them. He was forced to move McD once he extended all three of those players early, as I don't recall McD's contract being a problem that season when he was traded, but the years after that, his salary couldn't be absorbed with those raises in place.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't understand this for Tampa.
Same. Give up a guy for free, then spend a 2nd getting him back 2 years later, when he is at the age when players can decline suddenly? And likely make re-signing a superior player (Stamkos) impossible?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad