Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NSH] Ryan McDonagh and 2024 4th round pick for 2025 2nd and 2024 7th round picks

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Interesting. Frees up money for the Predators to sign a top defenseman UFA. Pesce? He seems to be their type of defenseman.

What’s tampa going to do with their UFAs? Is Stammer going to give a Tom Brady discount?

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Something something they can't hear you because they have their two Stanley Cups plugging their ears
I mean cup banners last forever as someone else said.

will people remember this in the next 10 years, as they are mired near the bottom?

Do you think Chicago fans are still feeling the warmth of the 3 cups? Or Pittsburgh?

Chicago attendance fell by 3 K. Pitt by 500-1000 fans.

Sports fans remember yesterdays game and not last season's playoff game.

I am in Ottawa, 7 years of being out. Detroit 8 years, Buffalo 13 years, SJ, Anaheim, Arizona 4 plus years.. sink to the bottom and good luck in coming back up.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
I wonder if this means Stamkos is gone.

I thought about this as well. TB still has about $5M in cap space with several roster spots to fill out. I can't see them having enough space to resign Stamkos without another cap dump kind of move. Capfriendly doesn't show any retention on McDonagh's deal though that just may be there's no details for them to add yet.

So when exactly can you start trading again after the trade deadline?

Any players acquired after the deadline simply aren't eligible for the playoffs that season. So teams can still make trades after the deadline.

Reactions: Pandaman11

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I disagree about our prospect pool, I think we're somewhere 5th-10th in the league personally, but yes, we're in a good spot asset wise.
Not sure of a specific ranking, was just thinking that, aside from Askarov, we lack a blue-chip prospect. Just a bunch of good to very good pieces.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I don't think anyone would take him unless TB keep a portion of his salary.

He's a 40 pts player playing with really good players in TB top6, he's overpaid.
This is my thought as well. It is also especially difficult to shed cap when other teams know you have to make those moves.

Just "interesting" to me that the Lightning couldn't make room for 33/34 YO seasons of a McD, but then take back the 35/36 YO seasons when they have even less cap room. I guess it possible that the organization thought that they could rely more heavily on the top 3D of Hedman, Cernak & Sergachev and experience showed that placed too much reliance on the bottom 3 and they learned that wouldn't work.

Brisebois certaintly has his work cut out for himself.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Watch the Preds outbid the Lightning for Stamkos now that the Preds have the cap space for him and the Lightning don't. :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
has he been bad? if you retain 50% we are down.
No, he's fine enough. It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they found a little cap savings though in a cheaper 3C who might be more of a matchup center now that they have Mittelstadt in the fold as the 2C

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

It's exciting to have him back - was really upset when they moved him couple of years ago and replaced him with quantity rather than quality. They had such a good 1/2 and have been missing that since the trade. Wary of what it means cap wise but if anyone understands what it means from salary perspective, it's Stamkos, and he seems to be saying all the right things about accepting less to remain. He's got to be excited Ryan is back though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad